Thread: Heatmiser Neo Smart Thermostat

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Heatmiser Neo Smart Thermostat

Is a smart thermostat a must-have upgrade for the digital home?
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Heatmiser Neo Smart Thermostat

The above is how to waste gas and lose control of the system in my opinion.
    1, Just fit low temperature radiators to all zones other that the area heated by the underfloor heating. these run on the same water temperature as the underfloor heating ( golden rule, boiler never works outside condensing mode)
    2, Fit a New Glowworm Energy system boiler with a systempro3 controller plus outside weather compensation module, then control the three floors with a climbapro2 programmable thermostat. ( golden rule, never leave a room without heat, it will suck the heat from the rooms next to it)
    3, Turn the heating on in October and off in May, set the thermostats to lower the room temperatures by 3 or 4 degrees at night.
    4, Fit a hot water storage vessel that will accept a tubular file type thermistor so that the boiler can heat the stored hot water to 60 degrees.
    Benefits, heatings on all the time ; only the heat required is put into the system from 20 degrees up to say 48 degrees ; you don't get overheated floors/rooms above as stratification will not happen ; you will be very comfortable ; your gas bill will be less that the system above ; you only need a boiler KW rated to the maximum load either the hot water tank or the heating load. Hot water is priority with this system.
    Tip, use liquid floor screed maximum 45mm deep, (fast heat up)
    No i don't work for Glowworm, YES i have been in this heating/gas game a long time, Yes i have this system ( earlier boiler but the new one is better). In my opinion nobody can compete with Glowworms complete weather compensated package systems. i have fitted them for seven years.

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by bert7 View Post
    1, Just fit low temperature radiators to all zones other that the area heated by the underfloor heating. these run on the same water temperature as the underfloor heating ( golden rule, boiler never works outside condensing mode)
    2, Fit a New Glowworm Energy system boiler with a systempro3 controller plus outside weather compensation module, then control the three floors with a climbapro2 programmable thermostat. ( golden rule, never leave a room without heat, it will suck the heat from the rooms next to it)
    3, Turn the heating on in October and off in May, set the thermostats to lower the room temperatures by 3 or 4 degrees at night.
    4, Fit a hot water storage vessel that will accept a tubular file type thermistor so that the boiler can heat the stored hot water to 60 degrees.
    Benefits, heatings on all the time ; only the heat required is put into the system from 20 degrees up to say 48 degrees ; you don't get overheated floors/rooms above as stratification will not happen ; you will be very comfortable ; your gas bill will be less that the system above ; you only need a boiler KW rated to the maximum load either the hot water tank or the heating load. Hot water is priority with this system.
    No i don't work for Glowworm, YES i have been in this heating/gas game a long time, Yes i have this system ( earlier boiler but the new one is better). In my opinion nobody can compete with Glowworms complete weather compensated package systems. i have fitted them for seven years.
    Got an old style, thick walled 3 bedroom terrace - door to hallway, living room off to left, backroom next, kitchen at end of hall. Upstairs got big front bedroom (above front room) smaller room above back room, small room 2 above kitchen, what sort of price would I be looking at to get a smart system with what you say fitted ? Radiators in hallway (2, 1 big 1 small), front room, back room, kitchen, all 3 bedrooms. We have a loft but it's for storage, also no proper insulation. Don't wanna put in under floor heating, just the boiler and the other bits you said

Thanks
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

so your looking at £800 just to install thermostats ... lol that's nearly the cost of a complete central heating system in a small house ??? what a waste of money it would take what 8 yrs or so to recoup the cost .. why not just fit thermo's to each rad at £8 a piece ...
    or even put a jumper on way to much for way to little ..
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post
    Is a smart thermostat a must-have upgrade for the digital home?
    For a digital home, maybe. That begs the question, do we want a digital home?

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post

Being able to control, configure and monitor your home's heating from afar makes perfect sense, and though these are early days, smart thermostats are surely the way forward.
    If that's what rocks your boat. Why on earth do I want to control my home's heating from afar? I simply put it into 'away' mode, and it sets a guard temperature. While I'm home, decent thermostatic valves and an overall programmable thermostat does the job perfectly well. And £800 for thermostats? No. Just .... no. Absolutely not.

I'm interested in a digital home only in so far as it works for me. And that .... doesn't.

Thanks
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

Well I use the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort. Zone control over the whole house from anywhere in the world. My bills have plummeted.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

We had to replace our boiler in Feb and at the same time decided to replace the themostat as the one we had never kept the right time (was supposed to auto set and had no controls for override but it never showed the right time). After looking at several options we went for the Nest for the following reasons:

1) Due to the house being old the wall construction meant that wiring a themostat to the boiler was not good option

2) The house isnt split into zones on the central heating its whole house or nothing (so no point in multi themostat set ups)

3) The money no object system was a Honeywell one that had individual wireless radiator values that were controlled by a central box but this was far far too expensive

4) Had an offer on the Nest so that it was just less than £150

I think it has worked well for our needs although it took a bit of time to get the program right (cause it turns itself on early to get the house to temp at the time you set not turn on at the time you set) but i do like the fact that it learns certain things so can turn off the heating early and let the latent heat in the rads get it to temp so you dont overrun the target temp.

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

No real opinion on the product itself, but having a product (or is it company?) name of Heatmiser automatically gives it a plus in my book...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flearider View Post
    so your looking at £800 just to install thermostats ... lol that's nearly the cost of a complete central heating system in a small house ??? what a waste of money it would take what 8 yrs or so to recoup the cost .. why not just fit thermo's to each rad at £8 a piece ...
    or even put a jumper on way to much for way to little ..
    Your way out, good combi boiler £800 with flue, good std boiler £650. small house two bed all in, minimum £3000. +.
    Efficiency is a long term payback with heating. Cheep thermo's last 3-4 years then seize, plus fail to control heat.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bert7 View Post
    Got an old style, thick walled 3 bedroom terrace - door to hallway, living room off to left, backroom next, kitchen at end of hall. Upstairs got big front bedroom (above front room) smaller room above back room, small room 2 above kitchen, what sort of price would I be looking at to get a smart system with what you say fitted ? Radiators in hallway (2, 1 big 1 small), front room, back room, kitchen, all 3 bedrooms. We have a loft but it's for storage, also no proper insulation. Don't wanna put in under floor heating, just the boiler and the other bits you said
    Solid wall construction and if sash windows forget it, heat loss to high. the cost of low water temp rads is over three times a normal rad, say nine rads £2500. to £3000. just for rads, boiler £1200. control package £500, pipe work £300. + labour, all in maybe £6 or 7000. your heat loss would make the system work hard all the time and at -5 deg would not cope. you need almost 2010 building regs home to meet u values.

Thread Information