Thread: Intel launches Skylake processor family at IFA 2015

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Intel launches Skylake processor family at IFA 2015

48 new CPUs cover device targets ranging from compute sticks to gaming PCs.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

Re: Intel launches Skylake processor family at IFA 2015

but it's still stuck at 4ghz .. when will we see 6,7 ,8ghz from intel or amd ?
    only so much they can do even with more transistors
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

Thanks

I wonder how these chips will handle blck overclocking? they are supposedly able to handle it better than previous intel arch's because the made the pcie clock independent or run on a ratio so that system stability wont be as big of an issue. If they blck oc very well then there might not be a good reason to get the k skews at all.....

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

Is it just me, or does the top benefit of the current CPU as 'up to 2.5x faster performance' seem like a damning indictment? 5 years. 5 years and you've only improved the performance by up to 2.5x? Yeah I get all the power saving enhancements but raw performance just isn't being pushed forward at the rate that I would expect. I guess that's the lack of proper competition with AMD being unfortunately so far behind at the moment... Not good for the consumer.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by flearider View Post
    but it's still stuck at 4ghz .. when will we see 6,7 ,8ghz from intel or amd ? ...
    probably never - it seems to be a fairly hard limit on silicon technologies and x86. I'm sure in theory they can go much higher, but it looks like doing so in a stable way with reasonable thermal characteristics is beyond the capabilities of current materials and manufacturing

Quote Originally Posted by Roobubba View Post
    ... raw performance just isn't being pushed forward at the rate that I would expect. ....
    What are you expecting, exactly? Where's the demand for ever increasing raw performance coming from, particularly in consumer products? It's probably been ten years since a consumer product last needed more CPU performance. If you want raw performance, get an enthusiast platform - Haswell E is right there waiting for you with cutting edge everything. Consumer products are about meeting the needs of consumers - and raw performance is not something CPUs are lacking any more...

Registered+
    Thanks

It seems as if the Tick - Tock ideal has taken a hit. Most of the reviews i have read do not indicate a substantive performance increase. As for what i am expecting, it is something with more power to entice me to upgrade. Few consumers need all this real power but it sure is nice for when we do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Where's the demand for ever increasing raw performance coming from, particularly in consumer products? It's probably been ten years since a consumer product last needed more CPU performance. If you want raw performance, get an enthusiast platform - Haswell E is right there waiting for you with cutting edge everything. Consumer products are about meeting the needs of consumers - and raw performance is not something CPUs are lacking any more...
    Totally agree, although just because there's no need to go faster doesn't mean we don't want to.

Cars don't need to go over the speed limit but we still have cars that can go more than twice that speed, I didn't need to eat that last jam doughnut but I just couldn't help it, I'm a greedy pig.

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

I suspect like a lot of people I'm waiting for Skylake-U (or whatever the one with Iris is) so I can get a new laptop. Guess that's going to be January. That and for the m-ITX motherboards to start coming out thick and fast so I can upgrade my desktop as well.

Saying that, I'm tempted to get a Haswell-E system. Mature, reliable and fast. Most of the things I do day to day are CPU bound rather than IO bound so DDR4 isn't much of a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by jm101 View Post
    It seems as if the Tick - Tock ideal has taken a hit. Most of the reviews i have read do not indicate a substantive performance increase. As for what i am expecting, it is something with more power to entice me to upgrade. Few consumers need all this real power but it sure is nice for when we do.
    Skylake has a lot of very fancy power management options, it's mostly aimed at portables. Nice to have a bit of performance over Haswell, but I don't think that was their primary objective here.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Who cares - if the ripoff standard retailer prices of the Core i5 6600K and Core i7 6700K are anything to go by,they can keep them.

The Core i7 6700K is just overpriced especially since the Core i7 5820K has dropped in price too.

Its the smallest quad core die Intel has ever made outside of Atom. Yet they are the most expensive consumer socket base Core i7 and Core i5 chips ever sold.

Its 122.4mm2:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9505/s...ckage-analysis

My old Sandy Bridge Core i3 was larger and was £90.

The desktop Haswell Core i3 chips are salvaged from the quad core dies and are nearly 50% LARGER!!

With the Core i5 6600K being £200ish,you can see the lower end Core i5 prices creeping up again and so will the Core i3 prices too.

Got to make more money,you know,so they can subsidise their Atom foray and the billions they spent so far on it.

Yet,since its the LATEST,LEETEST,FANTASTIBLE RELEASE,people will pay beyond the odds for them,and then we all up being screwed over. Yet there will be other alternatives from Intel which are better value too.

I just feel the desktop DIY segment has become a good ol' cash cow for companies.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-09-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whiternoise View Post
    Skylake has a lot of very fancy power management options, it's mostly aimed at portables. Nice to have a bit of performance over Haswell, but I don't think that was their primary objective here.
    I don't think performance has been Intel's primary objective for a good few years now, like scaryjim said, It's probably been years since a consumer product last needed more CPU performance, Intel has new dragons to slay these days.

I previously had hopes that Skylake would've changed that, sadly I feel like a kid that was hoping for Call of Battlefield 8 on Christmas day only to discover that game shaped present under the Christmas tree was a book on the history of the plantagenets, now I have to wait until my birthday and hope AMD brings me what I want in a parcel with ZEN core written on it.

Thread Information