Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: How is Windows 10 working out for you?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

QOTW: How is Windows 10 working out for you?

Three months after launch, how are you liking, or not liking, Microsoft's latest OS?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Re: QOTW: How is Windows 10 working out for you?

Mines running fine now.

I did have an issue at the beginning where it was either windows defender or Nvidia drivers causing a problem when logging in first time caused hanging for a while.

This was rectified quite quickly as I have Norton installed now so Windows defender is disabled and the nvidia driver updates appear to have sorted out the issues

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Tried it for a couple of weeks on a spare drive, now plugged my Win 7 drive back in. I can't see anything in it for me.

Wondering what to do about MS trying to cram this down my throat, when the update to spam that I can upgrade to win10 came out I uninstalled it and blocked it, now I notice a similar one is back. Now it looks like I might get auto upgraded before long? http://www.fudzilla.com/news/39141-m...-to-windows-10

Edit to add: Perhaps I should step up my playing Elite so that I hit full Elite combat rating, I think I will be done then. That game is the only thing keeping me with a Windows install, then I can boot to Linux and not go back.

Registered+
    Thanks

Brilliant so far - great improvement over Windows 8

Registered+
    Thanks

No issues with my two PCs. Phone is still running on 8 though

Thanks

I want no part of the Ten-Tatorship.

Thanks

Funny, I had pretty the same reaction. I upgraded my laptop to W10 and was underwhelmed. I keep getting notifications to upgrade my desktop from W8 to 10, but I've just been ignoring it. There's nothing driving me to upgrade yet. One of the things I'm actually interested in is the new DirectX driver, but there aren't any games using it yet (maybe 1 or 2?)

Thanks

Great. Been using it since the first preview though so I'm more used to it than most. No issues, better than 7 in every way for me.

Thanks

On my old laptop it gave me problems mostly with video playback (both web and local files) and touchpad, so I went back to Windows 7. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able/willing to part with some (admittedly very few) apps that have inferior alternatives on Linux. If it wasn't for that, I'd ditch Windows a long time ago (I temporarily did a couple of times with Red Hat, Mandriva and more recently Ubuntu)...

Registered+
    Thanks

How is it going for me, well so far not great! it took 3 attemts to install it on my new Toshiba lappie, It seemed to hate the non bloat software that Toshiba installed. Instant irretrievable corruption. The third time months later it worked!
    One of my huge i7 rigs wouldn't update and I had to make a disc and start over. Not good, I had to spoon feed it apps otherwise it would go FUBAR again and then we start again. It's up and running now, but it's not really reliable enough to use as my every day machine. I will just have to see what the November "service pack" brings and no, I don't like it much.

Thanks

I've not upgraded my own PC to Win10 yet but a few friends/relatives are running it and seem to be fine with it. Having said that I've noticed a couple of issues with the new OS, some of which are fairly serious.

The first is that 125% DPI scaling on my Linx7 tablet now looks very blurry compared to Win8 which I'm not too happy about, I still think the non-continuity between the two interfaces is stupid and there are often two paths to do exactly the same thing e.g. Settings and Control Panel, but still there are some things which can only be achieved in one or the other. It's a mess. There's no logic to what settings end up where and it's understandably more confusing for less tech-savvy users.

The same applies to the 'apps' part of the Start menu which still seems to go unused by myself and most people I've asked (yeah, anecdotal I know, it just seems redundant). Overall it still feels like they've welded two dissimilar UI's together, patching or grinding bits out where necessary, and left the untidy seams intact. It's better than 8 in that regard by a long shot, but that's not saying much and it still doesn't feel quite at home on either a tablet or a desktop. As DanceswithUnix said, I can't see anything in it for me. Sure, the back-end improvements are welcome but I'm struggling to find a single aspect of the UI where they've actually improved on Windows 7. Frankly, Apple got it dead right with two completely different operating systems for desktop and mobile, and I'm not even an Apple user.

As for the problems, they've been mostly driver-related. One I mentioned in another thread - a laptop I upgraded keeps dropping its WiFi connection for no apparent reason, requiring frequent manual reconnects despite a very strong signal and the problem never occurring on 7. Another being a major memory leak related to a Killer NIC on a friend's system needing a registry modification to fix. Etc, etc. It also seems subjectively less stable than 7 with friends/relatives reporting far more hangs/crashes after upgrading.

Edit: Something I will say is the separate 'tablet mode' is a welcome feature, albeit one with a few rough edges. Not having two completely separate versions of apps like IE is a sane move, opening Metro apps in a window makes a lot more sense on a desktop, and so on. Having said that, the 'rough edges' mostly relate to tablet mode and include the inability to access to desktop and any icons you might have there, even though a weird bug seems to flash up the desktop occasionally when you exit apps for instance .
    Last edited by watercooled; 30-10-2015 at 07:03 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Works fine as an iopened jar of pickles

Thanks

Upgraded from 8.1. Had a few bugs initially but refreshed the install. Really like it. The interface is just as I would hope. - best of 7 and 8. Had a few app support issues but updates resolved it.

Thanks

Only problem I've had is the touchpad driver would somehow BSOD the computer on startup or wakeup occasionally. Updated to the Microsoft-suggested drivers (versus Lenovo's "Windows 10" driver) and it's working fine, mostly. Sometimes the two-finger scroll borks out and I have to restart the drivers...

Registered+
    Thanks

Pile of Fisher Price 5 year old rubbish, Microsoft have not learned and compared to Windows 7 - Windows 10 is a complete down grade full of inbuilt spy whare and to be frank I just think its a pile of crap
    Last edited by peterb; 31-10-2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Word substitution

Registered+
    Thanks

I quite like the unified notification area, but the mail app seems to have taken a step backwards since 8.1 and Windows Update either falls over or installs a load of stuff that I have no control over.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information