Thread: ASRock BeeBox N3000

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

ASRock BeeBox N3000

In the market for a small, completely silent PC?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: ASRock BeeBox N3000

It is nice but an old i3 NUC using an after market fanless case will provide better performance and better thermals if you can pick it up cheap on second hand market

And yes there is a market for this as an HTPC but not at that price

Thanks

Could see it as a nice media pc and seeing as you'd need to install media center or plex or similar on windows anyways a nice supported 'media focused' linux distro could do surprisingly well on this.

Still think the price might be a tad too high for what you're getting though...when you consider that if you're using plex you'll likely need a server so you might as well look at chromecast or firetv's

Registered+
    Thanks

Small enough to hide behind your TV and it comes with a remote, two big ticks but cost a big fat X

Thanks
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Nice review, but I find it a little expensive for what it is.

Been playing around with a i5 5257U in a fanless mini PC for a while now (similar to a NUC but a little bigger as it takes 3 storage drives - 2x msata SSD's plus a 2.5" drive, as well as another 2x mini PCI-e slots, for a wifi and TV tuner in my case).
    It only gets hot (on the top where it is finned) when kids use it to play some games.
    Got it originally to mount on the back of my parents TV with a Logitech K830 (big screen, so easy to read and watch), but they prefer the normal PC set-up at a desk, hence they never used it. So I was a Indian giver and took it back for our 2nd TV.
    I got a cheap foldable USB laptop cooler to turn on when it is used for intensive things like gaming and this works very well (cost less than US$5 on ebay - just stuck it on top to blow across the fins).
    Otherwise it is a quick, silent machine and only cost a little over Australian $300 (about UK‎£150) for a barebones machine. The small company selling these is also very good and quick with customer service (pre and post sale - unlike some big companies like ASUS). Example - when I went to set it up at home, I upgrades the OS and forgot how to access the BIOS. They answered within a working day
    OK, mine only came with a intel "N" wifi card and does not come with a remote sensor, but I have a old HP media center remote with USB receiver, and "N" wifi is fast enough for the way it is used.

Registered+
    Thanks

These little units are going to be popular, at the moment most of them are using celeron chips so hopefully they will start upping the spec on the next ones.

Thread Information