Thread: G.Skill Ripjaws KM780

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

G.Skill Ripjaws KM780

A mechanical RGB keyboard to rival Corsair's popular K90?
    Read more.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: G.Skill Ripjaws KM780

My god, yet again I have to redefine my understanding of the words ugly and tat.

Registered+
    Thanks

Why do keyboard manufacturers insist on adding gaudy and bulky crap to the sides of their keyboards? Adds width without providing anything useful.
    Additional width pushes the mouse and WASD keys further apart from each other. It also pushes the entire keyboard more to the left, making it harder to type using two hands.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kepe View Post
    Why do keyboard manufacturers insist on adding gaudy and bulky crap to the sides of their keyboards? Adds width without providing anything useful.
    Additional width pushes the mouse and WASD keys further apart from each other. It also pushes the entire keyboard more to the left, making it harder to type using two hands.
    Since when has any 'enthusiast' or 'gamer' kit got anything to do with doing the job correctly?

Extra bling = extra sales = extra price.

Thanks
    • Pleiades's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z-97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • 4690K @ 4GHz / Phanteks TC-12DX
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 480GiB; Transcend M.2 256GiB; Velociraptor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GiB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 800w
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5" WQHD 144Hz; Samsung 49" 9500 HDR UHD TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100 Mibs

I doubt anyone in the UK will buy from Newegg (once you add VAT & Customs & Shipping it'll be more expensive than Amazon, and costly to return)...
    ------------------

Valar Morghulis

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    I doubt anyone in the UK will buy from Newegg (once you add VAT & Customs & Shipping it'll be more expensive than Amazon, and costly to return)...
    And it wouldn't be a UK layout either?

I've not even made the jump to a mech keyboard. Can't justify the price when a keyboard at the end of the day is a keyboard.

Registered+
    Thanks

Truly a disgusting keyboard - give me a plain and simple TKL keyboard any day...

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Quote Originally Posted by PooKer View Post
    Can't justify the price when a keyboard at the end of the day is a keyboard.
    I do a LOT of typing for my job and the difference between a mech keyboard and a membrane one is night and day. For just gaming I don't think it matters, in fact the clicking would be annoying. For the right job the price is well worth it.

I'm looking at a new mechanical for home, but as the consensus here I don't want something that looks like an accident in a plastic factory. Just want a full size mechanical with a good wrist support, no fancy RGB ,macro keys, or built in toolbox that I won't use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PooKer View Post
    I've not even made the jump to a mech keyboard. Can't justify the price when a keyboard at the end of the day is a keyboard.
    If you're not a gamer or aren't convinced then don't bother anyway. I bought a refurb K70 RGB and the lights are useless (in fact they're worse than useless because there's so much light bleed from under the keys that it's far less clear than a standard keyboard unless you're perched over the keyboard).

The mechanical aspect is more to taste of course, but even with o-rings my Cherry Browns are far too loud for me. I've gone back to my old semi-laptop style Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740 - it's like a super-awesome flatter than average key (more travel than a laptop, but less than normal) that somehow works, I much much prefer typing on this too and the lights are actually useful! I'm going to take the K70 to work in a last-ditch attempt to force myself to like it, otherwise it's getting sold. The most frustrating thing was that I'd expected the tech to have moved on from 20 years ago but they're just the same, except for some lights and buggy software - I don't know what I expected to be different, but it seems the only thing that's changed is the price, and not in a good way. In fact it wouldn't be a stretch to say that, currently anyway, the only aspect of the K70 that I like is the volume knob!

That said "a keyboard is a keyboard" I have to disagree with completely. If you use a keyboard for any length of time then the type isn't just something to consider but it can be important for your health. Nobody likes RSI and thankfully I've only briefly had it in my right-hand with an old mouse, but it wasn't fun while it lasted and mercifully it cleared up when I moved to a far bulkier mouse (the MX Revolution I think it was - now use its predecessor, the Perforamnce MX).

I've always argued that you should concentrate more on the aspects of the computer you actually interact with (mouse, keyboard, screen and chair) far more than the specs of what goes in the box, certainly if you spend a large chunk of time at a PC. Some people are happy to spend £1000 every year or two on their PC guts, yet will pick the first chair they come too or for the looks, and while the keyboard and mouse will be less expensive than a good chair, they are often overlooked too.

How many people have built a PC for someone and they've uttered the words "I've already got a mouse and keyboard, so I don't need those"? I'll bet it's the majority of people you've built a PC for.

I refuse to throw out my old Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 split keyboard in case I need it. It's a bit of a beast size wise, but if RSI ever rears its ugly head again then it's something I can turn to in the hope that it will help.
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 17-02-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

For my own setup I do have a nice keyboard but it didn't cost the earth. A Perixx PX-1800. Still on sale for a huge £20 (I paid £15 on offer). I use that to type on but when it comes to gaming I actually use a dedicated game key pad. To start with I used a Wolfking Warrior, but they went bust and my one was looking a little worse for wear. I swapped to a Gembird A4-X7-G100 PRO simply because I didn't want to wreck my nice Perixx while gaming. Plus Its either when on a LAN to have a keyboard and mouse in front of you than having to reach the laptop keyboard and the mouse next to it.

In terms of those ergonomic keyboards, didn't a study reveal they do more harm than good?

Thanks

I assume (?) you can remove the extra crap round the KB that is STILL present on the last photo? Those grab rails are just stupid....

Wake me also when MX Silent switches are present...

Registered+
    Thanks

my choice of all boards at the moment Gigabyte Aivia K8100 V2 http://goo.gl/oOYWtD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
    my choice of all boards at the moment Gigabyte Aivia K8100 V2 http://goo.gl/oOYWtD

Non mechaniccal!??

Thanks
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

If you're not a gamer or aren't convinced then don't bother anyway. I bought a refurb K70 RGB and the lights are useless (in fact they're worse than useless because there's so much light bleed from under the keys that it's far less clear than a standard keyboard unless you're perched over the keyboard).

The mechanical aspect is more to taste of course, but even with o-rings my Cherry Browns are far too loud for me. I've gone back to my old semi-laptop style Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740 - it's like a super-awesome flatter than average key (more travel than a laptop, but less than normal) that somehow works, I much much prefer typing on this too and the lights are actually useful! I'm going to take the K70 to work in a last-ditch attempt to force myself to like it, otherwise it's getting sold. The most frustrating thing was that I'd expected the tech to have moved on from 20 years ago but they're just the same, except for some lights and buggy software - I don't know what I expected to be different, but it seems the only thing that's changed is the price, and not in a good way. In fact it wouldn't be a stretch to say that, currently anyway, the only aspect of the K70 that I like is the volume knob!

That said "a keyboard is a keyboard" I have to disagree with completely. If you use a keyboard for any length of time then the type isn't just something to consider but it can be important for your health. Nobody likes RSI and thankfully I've only briefly had it in my right-hand with an old mouse, but it wasn't fun while it lasted and mercifully it cleared up when I moved to a far bulkier mouse (the MX Revolution I think it was - now use its predecessor, the Perforamnce MX).

I've always argued that you should concentrate more on the aspects of the computer you actually interact with (mouse, keyboard, screen and chair) far more than the specs of what goes in the box, certainly if you spend a large chunk of time at a PC. Some people are happy to spend £1000 every year or two on their PC guts, yet will pick the first chair they come too or for the looks, and while the keyboard and mouse will be less expensive than a good chair, they are often overlooked too.

Personally, I agree with your comments, good and suitable ancillary equipment is just as important if you are using it a lot. But I disagree with "The most frustrating thing was that I'd expected the tech to have moved on from 20 years ago but they're just the same, except for some lights and buggy software..." as I find my G910 is a improvement on all I have tried before, even against all my friends fancy gaming keyboards.
    I have a really good, comfortable chair, a couple of keyboards (Logitech K830 and a G910 and as a spare, a reliable, old Dell) for different uses and 2x big mice (Logitech performance MX and a G700). I got a big discount on a K830 which is great for my HTPC functions (connects via bluetooth with my TV mounted NUC and very easy to see the keys in the dark) and the G910, took a little to get used to (the different shapes of the keys), but now I think it is great for the gaming PC and for a lot of typing. The key lights work very well, the software easy and the keystrokes are light and almost silent. And I also use the G910's Arx Control app on a tablet when gaming (I find it handy propped next to the monitor). I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time to get the G910 for a good price (under Australian $100 or about £45).
    As for the comment "a keyboard is a keyboard", I would not like using my G910 in the lounge room with the HTPC (for a start I would also need a mouse), and I don't like gaming with the K830 (lose all sorts of functions and the K830's keys all feel the same). So horses for courses!
    Because my right palm (metacarpals) are fused solid from a old injury, plus broken most fingers as well, then add on I have a large hand, so I find the large mice far more comfortable and easy to use with some shapes far better than others.
    As we are all different, and our needs and wants are different, people will find what they like, can afford, and what suits them, these are just my preferences.
    Unfortunately, for what ever reason, some people are not aware of the benefits of getting the right tool for the job. A good analogy is that some people are happy to hammer with a shifter (aka a Crescent wrench- US or adjustable spanner- UK ), but I prefer using a hammer.
    As long as they are satisfied and happy with what they have, it is all good.

Thanks
    • canoedad's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth
      • CPU:
      • I7-3820 @ 4.6 w/H80
      • Memory:
      • 16g Ripjaws 1600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 500 SSD,1TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC 4g SLI
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 1050
      • Case:
      • Corsair Sniper
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27in IPS

Picked one up and I am pleased with it. You can choose and save different key lighting configurations plus the slanted red A and D keys are easy to find without looking. The keyboard feels solid and the keys feel good. I got the brown keys. Best price was at Amazon.

Three weeks ago my computer would go from log in page to blank screen. The key board would only light up the center row of keys (a - l). I would shut down the computer and the key board would still be lit, then I would power down the power supply and after the keys shut off restart and everything would be ok. This kept on happening every time but if instead of powering down I would just unhook the usb cable the lights would shut off and then rehook the usb and all the keys would light. I then installed another key board and this has not happened since (three weeks). I will not reinstall this key board. I originally thought this was a great key board but now I would not recommend.
    Last edited by canoedad; 07-07-2016 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Key board going bad after 3 months

Thread Information