Thread: Apple to swap MacBook keyboard with Force Touch input structure?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple to swap MacBook keyboard with Force Touch input structure?

Patent suggests an LED-lit customisable haptic feedback surface is in development.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Apple to swap MacBook keyboard with Force Touch input structure?

If this thing feels anywhere near as nice as the forcetouch trackpad on the new Macbook then they will be on to a winner in my books. The forcetouch is intuitive and comfortable - much more comfortable than a touchscreen but much more flexible than a keyboard. I'm sure it can translate well to a keyboard experience. There will be grumbles (and rightly so) from many people who prefer a traditional keyboard but I would welcome seeing a product like this.

Vigil

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny_Y8S View Post
    Apple is looking at replacing the MacBook keyboard
    No they're not. It's just a patent. You know this. We know this, so why pretend? Or do you really think Apple wants to remove the keyboard from it's notebook range?
    Why else? Click bait! Seems to be Hexus' forte.

Thanks
    • globalwarning's system
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1090T
      • Memory:
      • RIP JAW DDR3 1600 4x4GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 7950 OC (Boost)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 750W
      • Case:
      • Old crap
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns-G 281DPB

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    If this thing feels anywhere near as nice as the forcetouch trackpad on the new Macbook then they will be on to a winner in my books. The forcetouch is intuitive and comfortable - much more comfortable than a touchscreen but much more flexible than a keyboard. I'm sure it can translate well to a keyboard experience. There will be grumbles (and rightly so) from many people who prefer a traditional keyboard but I would welcome seeing a product like this.
    I'm forced to use a Macbook pro at work, and I really, really, can't stand the regular mac keyboards, with their tiny key travel, missing keys, and complete lack of tactile indication as to where you are on the keyboard. Even their standard desktop wireless keyboard sacrifices size/keys/tactile differences to have a "clean" look. Sure... they look pretty, but mac seems to prefer to sacrifice functionality for pretty and light, so I don't think this is out of the realm of possibility. Even MS surface keyboards have pushed things in the touch direction, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple was seriously considering this.

Thanks

yes and the last laptops with non tactile keyboard was so successful.....anyone remember the Acer Iconia and toshiba libretto w100?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by globalwarning View Post
    I'm forced to use a Macbook pro at work, and I really, really, can't stand the regular mac keyboards, with their tiny key travel, missing keys, and complete lack of tactile indication as to where you are on the keyboard. Even their standard desktop wireless keyboard sacrifices size/keys/tactile differences to have a "clean" look. Sure... they look pretty, but mac seems to prefer to sacrifice functionality for pretty and light, so I don't think this is out of the realm of possibility. Even MS surface keyboards have pushed things in the touch direction, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Apple was seriously considering this.
    Sounds like you won't be losing much if they change from keyboard to forcetouch! I agree I hate laptop keyboards and I can't imagine a large customizable forcetouch pad could give any worse an experience than the current status quo while providing hugely improved functionality. I'm not sure what you mean by companies pushing keyboards in the touch direction though, I own a surface book and the keyboard is definitely still a traditional crappy laptop affair...

Thanks

Apple's backdoor entry into touch screen full fat OS territory.
    Quite like the idea though for me i like the interopability of touch screen and keyboard.

Thanks
    • bytejunkie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock P5S Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot IEM
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840Pro 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 6870
      • PSU:
      • Powercooler 600
      • Case:
      • Thermal Take Dokker
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Screen
      • Internet:
      • yup

whereas im forced to use a standard 108 key keyboard with inch travel to make a letter. i ****ing hate it. so much that im gonna buy an apple keyboard so i can again touch type, know where i am on the keyboard without looking at it, be accurate on the numericals and just generally enjoy coding that bit more. cos its hard word coding when im this inaccurate.
    just to address your grievances.
    - missing keys - buy the full size one. everything is there on that one.
    - complete lack of tactile indication as to where you are on the keyboard - mine has raised bits in the places youd expect, think its f and j. if the small one doesnt, then buy the full size one.
    - sacrifice functionality for pretty and light - this is subjective, but i don't see where you are aiming this one. theres nothing functionally you can do with a standard 108 key keyboard that you can't do with the apple wireless keyboard. that i can think of.

at the end of the day, input devices are just horses for courses. just find whats best for you.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    I'm forced to use a Macbook pro at work, and I really, really, can't stand the regular mac keyboards, with their tiny key travel, missing keys, and complete lack of tactile indication as to where you are on the keyboard. Even their standard desktop wireless keyboard sacrifices size/keys/tactile differences to have a "clean" look. Sure... they look pretty, but mac seems to prefer to sacrifice functionality for pretty and light, so I don't think this is out of the realm of possibility.
    I feel the same way. And even worse is having to type on a screen (I'm talking current tech, I don't know how a potential patent implementation would work).

Thanks
    • Pleiades's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z-97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • 4690K @ 4GHz / Phanteks TC-12DX
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 480GiB; Transcend M.2 256GiB; Velociraptor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GiB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 800w
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5" WQHD 144Hz; Samsung 49" 9500 HDR UHD TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100 Mibs

After using mechanical keyboards for the last few years, I find it extremely difficult to use *any* laptop tbh.

This is a very interesting development, shows that even with keyboards and basic input, there is still room for innovation :-)
    ------------------

Valar Morghulis

Thread Information