Thread: Nintendo NX said to be a portable with detachable controllers

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nintendo NX said to be a portable with detachable controllers

Nvidia Tegra X1 is its likely powerplant, games will come on 'cartridge' or via downloads.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Nintendo NX said to be a portable with detachable controllers

Looks like Nvidia found someone to buy their Tegra chips that nobody else wants. The other aspects also don't sound very promising. Guess Nintendo will stay irrelevant for another console generation, if the leaks are accurate.

Thanks

Pretty much derived from the Nvidia Shield concept.

Shield was different iterations of the chipset but because of that the software base wasnt 100% compatible, Nintendo's path is same base hardware but in modular form so it can be a handheld or use a dock for TV. Would also explain the rumors a while back Nintendo were considering an Android fork but wisely avoided that.

Nvidia will probably try and help Nintendo especially when it comes to the back end software development, maybe for once Nintendo might get some third party ports of games.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Another nintendo console that I'm going to give a miss.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

chj
    Thanks
    • chj's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 950
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • SATA SSD/HDD combo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GTX 780Ti

Doesn't the snapdragon 820 stack up to the Nvidia Tegra X1? I know os will have a big impact but still seems a bit lacklustre.

Thanks

Since it's running tegra probably (and a 14nm version of X1 would be very potent), they should make it dual boot or something to be able to play all of the tegrazone games out of the box and be sure to make streaming from NV PC gpus part of the package. That isn't to say their games need to be on android (they can be completely incompatible), just that you should want to access at least tegrazone games if not all of googleplay's library which would be a massive library that people could use until 100's of games get out for their own device. A 14nm X1 with GDDR5x or something should easily be able to upscale it's own games to 1080p on a TV if desired. They're probably not going to look as good as xbox1/ps4, but this isn't aimed at that market. It's a handheld/tablet first, tv device second. Going with tegra also means if any game doesn't sell well (of their own IP), they can always port it to android for a massive market to pitch it to quite easily later in the device's cycle.

Personally, I'm uninterested if it can't play tegrazone or googleplay stuff speaking as someone passing on current consoles because PC has almost everything anyway (I want the android side and PC gpu streaming to tv). More and more games will be coming based on unreal4/unity5 etc for that platform (already many I want to play even without those engines now) and I'm not going to pass on those. Sony/Msft went x86 for easier porting to/from another large platform. Nintendo should do the same with android since they went that way with an ARM chip. It doesn't have to run everything over there, but it should run the best titles or ones that are specifically aimed at tegra optimizations at least. Android has a lot of unique content and really good prices compared to the $60 stuff on regular consoles. I'm done with those as a PC owner, and for my 2nd platform I'd rather have fun over graphics since a 14nm tegra can already blow away an xbox 360/ps3 level game for my tv for years to come. That's the best part of android IMHO. They don't have ps4/xbox1 graphics to wow you with (yet), so they have to concentrate on making a game really FUN. I'm not saying there aren't great experiences elsewhere (I love PC games...LOL), just that due to graphics limitations on android still, addictive gameplay has to come FIRST. If shield rev2 comes soon with a 14nm/10nm version (hopefully in a box the size of xbox1 at ~85w, GDDR5x etc), I'm all in and I'll pretty much go NV on the gpu next also if that's the case. Vega better hit soon and be high perf, great watts/heat. Price isn't important to me as long as it wins and is ballpark NV price.

If this thing is coming mar2017 or later it could be 10nm. That would be impressive. TSMC/Samsung say 10nm production in 2016 (wow), so if I was Nintendo I'd delay for that chip. That would be a massive power/perf increase over AndroidTV (20nm X1). I hope NV does this too for AndroidTV rev2.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Unless they release the most awesome streaming service, with AAA games, I feel they just gave up half their business (and customers).

"The fun value" won't sell it, they learnt that with Wii-U. Gamers want fun AND graphics. There is a reason we are getting Scorpio and Neo.....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

If this is supposed to be a standalone device I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be this. The portable market is dying, releasing something like this would drop investor confidence massively as it would have a tiny market. If it was the controller for the NX then I could see it working.

Thanks

A Surface Pro with controllers instead of a pen?

Nintendo have certainly shown they can make mobile games so provided the tablet basics work well I can see it being an attractive option for a lot of people.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Unless they release the most awesome streaming service, with AAA games, I feel they just gave up half their business (and customers).

"The fun value" won't sell it, they learnt that with Wii-U. Gamers want fun AND graphics. There is a reason we are getting Scorpio and Neo.....
    Wiiu was a weak CONSOLE and seen as a kids toy vs. xbox1/ps4. This is a handheld first, and so far it seems handhelds are only dying for Sony. 3DS has sold 60mil units. That is the TOTAL sales of ps4/xbox1 combined. That isn't bad, and as a tablet you're asking it to compete with 100w boxes? Get real. We're getting scorpio and neo partially because they released boxes that couldn't do 4K vids and most games can't even do 1080p. That is a joke in an age of 1080p TV's and note NEO has a min of 1080p res for games. You can't have NV ShieldTV and whatever else coming that will do 4k vids/hdr, and doing that while you're stuck at 1080p vids. Also Xbox1 consumes ~15w in standby...LOL. That is about what this thing will probably do gaming (or less). You seem to be confused about what this actually is. This is a portable handheld. They don't make 100w tablets yet...LOL. Vita is basically dead at this point, so Nintendo could put out a winner here and leave sony in the dust. Note 3ds is not as potent as the Vita and FUN does sell:
    http://lifehacker.com/handheld-gaming-showdown-nintendo-3ds-vs-playstation-1763073723
    "The New 3DS has 10MB of dedicated VRAM and graphics don’t look nearly as nice as the Vita’s. Of course, Nintendo has proven that it’s not graphics that sell a system—it’s games that are fun to play."

Also note Nvidia's handheld has more power than 3ds, and I don't think it's sold 10mil (no idea since they never tell so far). If it was 10mil though I suspect they'd tell us it's catching vita already. I suspect it might be 5mil tops though each rev will keep adding to it and current+next should play the same games just better looking on the xmas one (looks like a new handheld at FCC for xmas).

Yeah, 60mil 3DS to ~14mil Vita is saying FUN sells over power at least in some cases. I highly doubt devs will waste time making 4k modes for what will likely be a small base for 2yrs at least on neo/scorpio so I'm guessing they'll just pump up graphics for 1080p on them for a long while (you have to have a TV and system to do 4K games too). It's about 4K vids and HDR for the most part with neo and xbox1 S will already do these shortly, not sure how many will jump at Scorpio which likely won't be super cheap vs. xbox1 S. Scorpio games? We'll have to wait and see, but I highly doubt it will do 4K with PC like graphics, since a GTX 1080 can't manage that without turning a lot of stuff down and it's 180w and AMD will be even higher with vega (likely 250). Titan coming next week will be the first card to do it and it's 250w (maybe can do it in everything). I doubt MSFT will ship a 250w+ box. But I could be wrong. BTW, Pokemon Go is how great looking? Yet sales are off the charts. It raised Nintendo's market value ~10Billion in a week...ROFL. If in app purchases keep up at current rates it will pull down 585m alone in that crap in a year. Never mind the advertising which some are saying will be worth north of 10B possibly (some saying 16B). WOW. Here I thought it was a completely stupid game. But someone thinks it's fun

There are a lot of FUN games on PC that sell over a million copies but are not graphics fests. If a game is FUN, people buy it. If a game has AAA graphics but sucks, it ends up being a benchmark, not a success. WOW sells how many millions each time an expansion is released? Not exactly Doom4 right? But it's FUN right?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

You seem to be completely ignoring that many people do not buy handhelds and those that do are already starting to slide into the mobile app market.

Many millions of potential Nintendo customers will dismiss this automatically because it's an underpowered handheld. Fair play if they just want to be mobile-only but this smacks of them believing they can win over console owners with a cheap handheld. We know what console owners thought about their last cheap console, I really do not think they will see this any differently.

If have played many PS4 games, you will understand that with 4x the power, it probably will do close-to-PC graphics at 4k and that is exactly what Sony are aiming for (with Microsoft aiming a bit higher but later). Sony and MS have made it clear that Neo/Scorpio are for 4K gaming and VR. That's what people seem to be asking for.

How well have those "consoles in a controller" taken off? How many people have you ever seen plug their phone into their TV to game? Did you see how badly Wii-U sold due to the hardware specs?
    I think Nintendo have lost it.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Wonder if you can strap this into an official Nintendo VR headset, that would make the detached controllers make more sense.

Thanks

So Nintendo are moving to hand held/mobile systems. It will be interesting to see what direction this takes Nintendo but I think it will alienate them from a lot of users. I thought Nvidia didn't want anything to do with the console makers. Maybe Nintendo strong armed them into it.

Thread Information