Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaking Shuttle!

Registered+
    Thanks

Squeaking Shuttle!

Although I'm delighted with my new Shuttle, the damned thing is making a really high pitched whine. It's only just audible and doesn't happen all the time - just occasionally - but it's bloody irritating. Any idea what this would be and what can be done about it?

Thanks.

Thanks
    high-pitched whines....only things ive experienced that does that are fans or hard drives.

Have you tried running caseless to see if you can find a direction from which the sounds comes from? I'd try stopping the ICE fan to check that off the list

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos
    I'd try stopping the ICE fan to check that off the list
    But not for very long though...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunk
    But not for very long though...
    My bad , safest is probably to just disconnect it for a single boot, should give you enough time to listen out. I doubt temperatures could raise too high in one boot

Registered+
    Thanks
    I've seen people mention that the coils can give off a high pitched noise, it was even a recognised issue at one point but Shuttle have said that it shouldnt apply to the current models since they have changed the coils or something. Its not I problem I have had (so I never tried the solution!) but it is said that it can be cured by putting a bit of non-conductive gunk on the coils to dampen things, such as a dab or two of silicon sealant.

Scott

Thanks
    I also have a squeaking shuttle (SB61G2) and have spent many nights trying to pinpoint the noise. After looking on a few forums it turns out, like murphy has said, that the noise is coming from the coils under the PSU, the three big ones in a row. I have actually tried putting hot-melt glue over the coils like some people have suggested but this made no difference whatsoever.

I'm afraid you will just have to get used to the noise, I have yet to find a method that will stop this from happening. Please let me know if you find a way of solving this.

I have found that the noise only occurs when scrolling on web pages, and using *some* cpu intensive programs. CPU Burn-in really makes the coils noisy when it is in error checking mode, but when error checking is disabled no noise is created at all. I find this really weird. Also United Devices makes the coils really noisy.

Hopefully this issue has been solved. I have had two shuttles and both have made this squeaking.

Oh yea also the Enhance Power Supply squeaks as well sometimes. I replaced it with the (not so) SilentX PSU and this does not make any squeaking noises.

I tried the Enhance 200W Power supply in another ATX PC to determine if it was just a shuttle problem, but the PSU still made a noise. The PSU only seems to squeak when opening programs and navigating through the start menu - very odd!

Thanks
    Hmm, now that you mention that noise when scrolling, i have that too, except, i think i have the opposite. Im not 100% sure, but i sometimes hear a quiet high-pitch buzz that only goes away when im scrolling. Not sure what thats about or what it relates to, could even be the LCD since scrolling would require it to update most of the screen

EDIT: Oh yeah, i use a laptop, for reference. So both the screen and the main part are very close so i cant tell which it is.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Cheers for the help guys. It's real frustrating though as I don't seem to be able to locate the whine. It only happens occasionally and doesn't seem to be associated with temperature. I'm gonna try reseating the fane and ICE the weekend, hopefully that'll sort it out. Otherwise it seems I'll just have to put up with the damned thing.

Incidentally, how loud were the SN41G2 'V1's? This V2 isn't exactly silent(X).

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci
    Cheers for the help guys. It's real frustrating though as I don't seem to be able to locate the whine. It only happens occasionally and doesn't seem to be associated with temperature. I'm gonna try reseating the fane and ICE the weekend, hopefully that'll sort it out. Otherwise it seems I'll just have to put up with the damned thing.

Incidentally, how loud were the SN41G2 'V1's? This V2 isn't exactly silent(X).
    Never found mine too bad - always set the CPU fan at 'ultra low' in the BIOS though. The original PSU did make a fair bit of noise though - both fan noise and 'buzz'. Can't hear a thing from my silent X though. Have built other shuttles before though and found the 220W Achme ones to buzz a LOT if under a lot of load (high end CPU / GFX)... What have you got in yours?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malfunction
    What have you got in yours?
    Nowt. It's not that bad; it's just no drastic improvement over my five year old AMD 700.

All in all I'm pretty happy though. Got everything for £300 (SN41G2 V2, Athlon XP2400, Crucial 512mb DDR400, 80gb 8mb cache h/d, DVD/CD-RW combo, BT 1040 wifi card, and a partridge in a pear tree). Makes me wonder what I could get if I shopped around with double the budget.

Thanks
    guy's this one is easy to solve. you need some high temp silicon gel from an electrical retailer (maplins) and you need to run this between the coils on the motherboard. leave it to dry and the noise will be gone.

i can provide pictures if you need them.

Gav

Thanks
    Please do provide pictures as I have unsuccessfully tried this! Id like to see what I did wrong.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yeah that'd be great please.

Thanks

Thanks
    sorry thats done with hot glue which works better.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for the pics. I'll certainly give this a go as the noise is really started to irritate me now!

Thread Information