Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WhatsApp to share user data with Facebook

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

WhatsApp to share user data with Facebook

To provide you with "better friend suggestions" and more relevant ads.
    Read more.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: WhatsApp to share user data with Facebook

Typical......I only started using WhatsApp recently when they added end-to-end encryption......looks like I'll be uninstalling it again already!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

3. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (28-08-2016)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the idea of more relevant ads - so long as I get to decide what is relevant - which is none.

Pity, I hope this isn't the end of WhatsApp as we have known and loved it

I use it as an alternative to iMessaging, so I guess the time when I stump up for an iPhone is getting ever closer. Pity, I've only had the android phone for less than 18 months, so it isn't due for changing for at least another 4 years. <sigh>
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I like the idea of more relevant ads - so long as I get to decide what is relevant - which is none.

Pity, I hope this isn't the end of WhatsApp as we have known and loved it

I use it as an alternative to iMessaging, so I guess the time when I stump up for an iPhone is getting ever closer. Pity, I've only had the android phone for less than 18 months, so it isn't due for changing for at least another 4 years. <sigh>
    Or just use Hangouts!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Or just use Hangouts!
    No one I know uses hangouts. I did try it once, but i found it completely counter-intuitive, and as no-one else seemed to be using it, I abandoned it. It's one of the apps I'd like to get rid of on my phone, but of course Google won't let me.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

No one I know uses hangouts. I did try it once, but i found it completely counter-intuitive, and as no-one else seemed to be using it, I abandoned it. It's one of the apps I'd like to get rid of on my phone, but of course Google won't let me.
    Everybody I know does including mates who use iPhones and iPads. Skype works cross-platform.

Plus if they CBA to even have that app on their iPhone(its a standard part of Android),then IMHO they are not the sort of people who really care about you in the first place!

I honestly just don't see the point of spending £400 on a phone(when my £150 one works perfectly fine even up a mountain) just to message people who CBA to install cross-platform messaging apps.

Look at games like Ingress - millions of people play that and the G+ and Google Hangouts integration is very important for things like that. We had a lot of iPhone users who play that game in big Hangouts for both social and organisational things.

Edit!!

Sorry,I know dozens of people who use Hangouts, I have been Hangouts which have like 30+ people in them

Even my dad can use Hangouts fine - its easy to use.

Another mates mum uses Hangouts on a iPad to video message him on his Nexus 4.

These are all old people,who are not really that good with technology.

It was less fuss than using Skype - even used the video messaging to talk to people I knew a few 1000 miles away on their iPad.

It seems to work very well on a £150 Moto G.

I would rather use text messages then spend £400 on a phone just for basic IM but each to their own!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 25-08-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks

Well, that's the whole point of WhatsApp. Cross platform without being tied into anyone ecosystem. I have used Skype, but when Microsoft started messing with it, it lost its appeal, although to be fair, Microsoft do make some good Skype appliances, used (among others) by the BBC.

But if you can't afford an iPhone, I guess you have to make do!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Well, that's the whole point of WhatsApp. Cross platform without being tied into anyone ecosystem. I have used Skype, but when Microsoft started messing with it, it lost its appeal, although to be fair, Microsoft do make some good Skype appliances, used (among others) by the BBC.

Its not about affording an iPhone(silly E-PEEN nonsense on a disposable phone),but its utterly silly to say you want a £400 phone to send messages when a £150 phone I used which is waterproof and was fine up the top of Snowdon,ran Hangout messaging fine!

Some of us have zero interest in getting an Apple iDevice,since the ecosystem has zero advantages to me,and iPhones are fragile too. E-PEEN arguments about "you can't afford" come across as being stupid.

Have you noticed I don't have a £400 Android phone too - for what to show off to your mate for 10 seconds when it is already outdated in 10 more seconds??

I don't need an uber powerful phone to run games(since I have no interest in playing 3D shooters and the like on a phone),and I don't need to have the best phone camera,when I have enough cameras which I can take for critical work,and the one on what I have now is enough for social posting(like anybody would notice the difference at low resolution).

I am not going to run intensive photo editing on a phone with a tiny screen ever - so why do I need a £400 phone??

To show off?? Like the million other people who have the same phone??

Within two to three years it probably will be outdated anyway as progressive software updates will just slow any modern phone down.

As soon as I realised that,whether you spend £150 or £400 they are probably all going top get as outdated as each other within three years.

Tablets,I might understand people spending more money if they use it for PS on the move or something. In that sense at least the iPads are probably more powerful in general.

But for a phone,meh.

The most intensive thing I run on it is Ingress and some of geo caching type stuff which it works pretty well with and being waterproof(a Moto G) it actually is preferable to an iPhone or a more expensive Nexus for me,especially with the expandable storage.

Plus I know dozens of iPhone and iPad users who use Hangouts with no problem. You are saying there problems which don't exist - its also annoying when some of us(including many using iPhones) have used Hangouts for years.

Plus if your "mates" CBA to use another cross platform app to talk to you,then they really CBA,right??

Plenty available. Don't need to even look at Skype or Hangouts.

If a "mate" expected me to spend £400 on a phone just to talk to them on IM ,they can either buy me the said phone or do one TBH.

I would rather send an SMS than spend £400 on a phone just to IM.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 25-08-2016 at 05:05 PM.

10. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

You may want to look at Jabber/XMPP., it's the free, open specification that WhatsApp is built on (and then charged for). There are goodness knows how many clients and implementations out there.

Sign up to a Jabber account and any jabber host, e.g: https://register.jabber.org/ (personally, I host my own on my own domain).

And run an app, I use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cc.freelab.messenger

It's free, and it's secure.

Thanks

Or you could try Googles own Duo video chat app which is cross platform.
    Allo the chat app is coming soon....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Its not about affording an iPhone(silly E-PEEN nonsense on a disposable phone),but its utterly silly to say you want a £400 phone to send messages when a £150 phone I used which is waterproof and was fine up the top of Snowdon,ran Hangout messaging fine!

Some of us have zero interest in getting an Apple iDevice,since the ecosystem has zero advantages to me,and iPhones are fragile too.

I would rather send an SMS than spend £400 on a phone just to IM.
    Which is why I currently use a £150 Android phone (Moto G second gen, just to 'show off' ) and I use an iPad and What's app to talk to my children and other friends who dislike Hangouts as much as me. But if hangouts works for you, crack on.

I use my iPad for iMessaging as it syncs with with my iMac, as do passwords etc. It would be useful if I could sync passwords with my Motorola, but I can't (at least not easily, or without using a third part password keeper, which sort of defeats the object.

YOU might think people only by Apple products to show off, but that shallow view isn't reflected in RL.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

14. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Or you could try Googles own Duo video chat app which is cross platform.
    Allo the chat app is coming soon....
    It seems to work in a different way to Hangouts as it needs a phone number instead of a gmail account(interesting to see how it will work on tablets without a SIM). It looks like Hangouts is being targetted more towards Enterprise and Productivity now,but it is not surprising seeing how much it is integrated into things like Drive,etc.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Which is why I currently use a £150 Android phone (Moto G second gen, just to 'show off' ) and I use an iPad and What's app to talk to my children and other friends who dislike Hangouts as much as me. But if hangouts works for you, crack on.

I use my iPad for iMessaging as it syncs with with my iMac, as do passwords etc. It would be useful if I could sync passwords with my Motorola, but I can't (at least not easily, or without using a third part password keeper, which sort of defeats the object.

YOU might think people only by Apple products to show off, but that shallow view isn't reflected in RL.
    Stop deflecting - its YOUR SHALLOW view of saying "people cannot afford an iPhone" - now out of desperation you are backtracking and twisting things.

Now you are trying to play a victim after YOU had the arrogance to try and tell me that "if I can't afford an iPhone,I would have to do with second best".

It might be news to YOU,but some of use don't need the Apple ecosystem and this is from somebody who has had enought experience of using Macs upto dual processor Mac Pros,etc in my some places I worked in.
    Also,the myth it must be a Google app,so it must be worse than the Apple equivalent and the same old E-PEEN argument you make,if you don't buy an Apple iPhone you have second best?

Yeah,right. Like the £400 Android phone..oh wait.

Now you are just making up stuff how hard it is,after you started going on how you needed a £400 phone to IM. Yet,interestingly enough I know dozens of iPhone users who use it.

Its easy - you install the app,select the person you want to talk to. Then IM or video message them.

If people in their 60s and 70s who have no clue about using IM before are using Hangouts fine,then seriously you are telling me,its some uber difficult thing to use??

So,know you need a £400 phone to IM,instead of even bothering to try something else??

WTF??

Its so bloody difficult,that is why I have been in group hangouts with like 30+ people....and its worked fine and at least 10 of them were on iPhones.

I bet YOU had a cursory look at it a 1000 years,ago thought meh,and never looked at it since,right??

Just like one of my bosses,who last used a Windows PC when 95 came out and said Windows was crap based on him not using it for 20 years.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 25-08-2016 at 05:31 PM.

17. Received thanks from:

CustardInc (28-08-2016)

Thanks

I couldn't afford an iPhone so I made do with the one I've got. Stop ascribing attributes to me that are unfounded just to support your view!

That was what I meant at the start, and what I mean now.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

19. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (26-08-2016)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I couldn't afford an iPhone so I made do with the one I've got. Stop ascribing attributes to me that are unfounded just to support your view!

That was what I meant at the start, and what I mean now.
    No you said:

Not:

But since I can't afford an iPhone, I guess I have to make do!

I will leave it at that.

21. Received thanks from:

CustardInc (28-08-2016)

Thanks

Well if you want to be pedantic

"If one can't afford an iPhone, one has to make do"

And I'll leave it there as I have a sick 'puter to fix.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

23. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (26-08-2016)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information