Thread: AMD investor slide touts enthusiast Vega H1 2017 launch

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD investor slide touts enthusiast Vega H1 2017 launch

Leaving the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 and above running rampant for quite some time.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD investor slide touts enthusiast Vega H1 2017 launch

Can AMD just take my money already? Geez... what's with all these delays? The first revision of the GPUs/CPUs is gonna be terrible anyway. It always is with AMD and Intel, and sometimes Nvidia. They should rely more on the paying beta testers. Just like software companies

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nifl View Post
    Can AMD just take my money already? Geez... what's with all these delays? The first revision of the GPUs/CPUs is gonna be terrible anyway. It always is with AMD and Intel, and sometimes Nvidia. They should rely more on the paying beta testers. Just like software companies
    It'll be a really surreal feeling when AMD has a new CPU on the market. Vishera was 2012....dang

Thanks

Note that with investor documents, AMD would give the most pessimistic date for launch, probably allowing for a couple of failed steppings and the like.

So with luck, it may be earlier in H1 rather than later in H1, but that doesn't mean that they won't launch on June 30th... it is AMD after all.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

There is both Vega 10 and Vega 11 - it could be one launches earlier in the year and one later during the 1H 2017 period. However,by then Nvidia should have the GTX1080TI released as well. I do wonder if AMD will still be using GF though??

Thanks

Jeez, this is terrible. Now NV has effectively 6 months or more to sell their top cards and bin for a response (1080ti or whatever) to vega. By the time vega ships NV will have sold to the entire high end crowd for this gen and be announcing new products especially if they're actually Q2 here. Since they don't say Q1, rather H1, it will be past march. They miss the entire xmas season. Nice work console chips. AMD never should have taken the first console, let alone a re-up to do it again. Both Zen and Vega should be out NOW or before xmas in MASS quantity, or risk losing any chance of profits on either (may be relevant in server stuff still though). Zen had better be able to win in more than just a cherry-picked benchmark and it had better smoke broadwell-E since it will be facing something else already. Core i7-7700K features 4 cores, 8 threads, 6MB cache and 95W TDP coming ~Dec16 (and a HEDT replacement probably some time next year). Something tells me this quad will win most of the games vs. AMD's 8 but I hope not. Unfortunately for AMD most games don't see much more than a fast quad as shown by Intel's own 6-10 core chips being beaten by their own quad in many games.

Maybe AMD will sell the same chip as 8/6/6/4 (much like Intel with 10/8/6/6) with failing parts of the chip disabled or something (slowed down maybe like 6800k). Bring on something that matches or beats a 6800k (in EVERYTHING) please AMD or even higher. I want at least 6 cores for my next upgrade (too much ripping etc to do). I hope this ZEN chip is roughly xbox1/ps4 sized. That would likely be a winner and a HUGE profit maker. If they can make a 363mm^2 chip for $100 and sell it to MSFT for 110-115, make ZEN that big and sell it for $300-1500 or something (assuming it competes well with Intel's HEDT chips). Use your apu's later for low end people. Aim high first or you won't make much profit. The money is in the high-end. Sure I'd like a great deal too, but AMD needs some profit and we need them IN the high end to make 58% margins again. Zen should be aiming at $300+ market. PERIOD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    Jeez, this is terrible. Now NV has effectively 6 months or more to sell their top cards and bin for a response (1080ti or whatever) to vega. By the time vega ships NV will have sold to the entire high end crowd for this gen and be announcing new products especially if they're actually Q2 here. Since they don't say Q1, rather H1, it will be past march. They miss the entire xmas season. Nice work console chips. AMD never should have taken the first console, let alone a re-up to do it again. Both Zen and Vega should be out NOW or before xmas in MASS quantity, or risk losing any chance of profits on either (may be relevant in server stuff still though). Zen had better be able to win in more than just a cherry-picked benchmark and it had better smoke broadwell-E since it will be facing something else already. Core i7-7700K features 4 cores, 8 threads, 6MB cache and 95W TDP coming ~Dec16 (and a HEDT replacement probably some time next year). Something tells me this quad will win most of the games vs. AMD's 8 but I hope not. Unfortunately for AMD most games don't see much more than a fast quad as shown by Intel's own 6-10 core chips being beaten by their own quad in many games.

Maybe AMD will sell the same chip as 8/6/6/4 (much like Intel with 10/8/6/6) with failing parts of the chip disabled or something (slowed down maybe like 6800k). Bring on something that matches or beats a 6800k (in EVERYTHING) please AMD or even higher. I want at least 6 cores for my next upgrade (too much ripping etc to do). I hope this ZEN chip is roughly xbox1/ps4 sized. That would likely be a winner and a HUGE profit maker. If they can make a 363mm^2 chip for $100 and sell it to MSFT for 110-115, make ZEN that big and sell it for $300-1500 or something (assuming it competes well with Intel's HEDT chips). Use your apu's later for low end people. Aim high first or you won't make much profit. The money is in the high-end. Sure I'd like a great deal too, but AMD needs some profit and we need them IN the high end to make 58% margins again. Zen should be aiming at $300+ market. PERIOD.
    I don't think AMD's worrying too much, they've got the Xbox one S, the PS4 Slim, Neo and the Nintendo NX coming out over the next few months which is way more profit than they make from the PC market, not to mention Zen will pretty much be an advertising piece for the next generation to show they're up to standard while upsetting Intel's marketing strategy for a generation (based on the benchmarks available for the 8 core Zen and assuming a slightly less than 6800k price tag for it). Their production of console chips also gives them a lot of leverage in the gaming industry so they can push for greater thread usage, something that's already happened by the way as there are a good few AAA titles which are greatly advantaged by an i7 over an i5, not a majority but enough that it's worth the investment.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Glad I bought my 1070. Waiting for almost (possibly) 9 months to release something that compares to Nvidias high end cards seems like a silly move. If they don't grind Nvidias cards into the dust and ACTUALLY compete on performance = game over AMD.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    ... Waiting for almost (possibly) 9 months to release something that compares to Nvidias high end cards seems like a silly move. ...
    I'm really confused as to why people think AMD are "waiting" to release products. I'm sure they'll release Vega as soon as it's available in volume, but lets not forget that the Vega family are all going to be HBM2 cards, which means they need reliable volume of reasonably priced HBM2 before they can even think about launching the card. nvidia have stolen a march this time round whilst AMD were concentrating on the mainstream volume market. Only time will tell how Vega performs - it might be like a GTX 10-series card, or it might be way faster. We'll just have to wait and see what comes out.

Registered+
    Thanks

I am not sure if the money is really in high end, i actually think the big money is in the middle.
    When i look around at my friends machines they almost all buy a 980, 980ti, 1060 or 1070
    Only a few bought the 1080 or the titan x which is way too expenssive for such a bad cooled card.
    The guy having 2 of these t-x is constant looking at 2 cards trothling about 90% of the time... you should hear him curse at nvidia... AMD on the other hand should learn from such mistakes and make sure that when they DO lauch a very good product that the card gets a very good cooler instead the cheap crap nvidia put on the 1300 euro card.

Thread Information