Thread: Windows 10 Creators Update allows blocking of non-Store apps

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows 10 Creators Update allows blocking of non-Store apps

Users can freely toggle the setting; existing Win32 apps will continue to run fine.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update allows blocking of non-Store apps

On paper this sounds like a good idea as some end-users with very basic understanding can be very install happy, however is the Windows store much better for malware, junk, and PUP's? Last time i read about Windows Store people where saying it's a bit of a mess.

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

I'm missing a fourth option, "Deny apps from the Store".

Perhaps "missing" is a bit misleading, though, since I have no intention of installing Windows 10 (other than in a VM for scientific reasons).

Thanks
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3080 FE
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

"upgradeable post-purchase" - by paying the FULL retail price for a fresh key, just like trying to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    "upgradeable post-purchase" - by paying the FULL retail price for a fresh key, just like trying to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro.
    Well, to be fair think about it this way: if it wasn't like this people would get free copies of Cloud and an easy discount that they didn't earn for any particular reason.

Besides, Cloud is almost certainly only going to end up in tight-ship enterprise and educational environments, or low end tablet type stuff. The kind of place where upgrading either isn't a possibility or the device is essentially throwaway regardless.

I'm sure it's described as upgradable because it will transition any files or apps you already had and paid for, and try to save you time and money.

No, I don't work for Microsoft.

Registered+
    Thanks

Doesn't Windows already have this sort of functionality with UAC? A prompt when you try to install anything asking if you're sure you want to install it.

Looks to me like the Windows Store hasn't been as profitable for MS as the App Store for Apple so MS want to encourage users to use it more.

Thanks

This is likely a 'leftover' from the cloud version they're going to release soon which has been stuck in the main versions as an option (hopefully on an account by account basis).

As long as this remains an option, especially on pro versions, and they don't try and force us to use the store for everything I need on my pc I don't mind. For one thing I'm pretty sure most of my main programs aren't even available on the MS store....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    On paper this sounds like a good idea as some end-users with very basic understanding can be very install happy, however is the Windows store much better for malware, junk, and PUP's? Last time i read about Windows Store people where saying it's a bit of a mess.
    The complete opposite, it's far safer than anything else on the PC, UWP apps unlike Win32 apps cannot harm the OS. However given the pressures and reluctance by whats left of the Windows developer base MS has had to begin letting Win32 apps on the Store but it screens them beforehand so there is still some measure of security.

Anyway this is a good thing, the Win Store is better than the crappy and old desktop system of hunting down apps and it provides a much cleaner install/un-install. If you still prefer that system your either old or having been hanging around old people picking up their habits! No-one who is young or using theirs PC's (Android/iOS) cares about hunting down random installers from the internet.

Plus in spite of the get off my lawn types who hate Windows yet still use it, the business of selling operating systems is dying and MS needs a viable app store to continue justify the huge costs of maintaining Windows.

Android will push into PC space and kill of the PC some of you hold do dear if it gets the chance, it can do that because its free and PC makers who defect make more money from an Android system, so MS eventually has to give away Windows for free and for that it needs an app store.

If Windows app store does not take off and Android continues to push into this space then kiss goodbye to the PC as you knew it or say hello to Windows based Mac's with the OS tied to the hardware that MS or Dell whosever left can sell, that the future the current status quo cannot remain.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Kato-2 View Post
    Anyway this is a good thing, the Win Store is better than the crappy and old desktop system of hunting down apps and it provides a much cleaner install/un-install.
    Spoken like someone who hasn't been caught in a loop of the store thinking you have something installed, fails to update it every time and there is no option to uninstall it!

I use the store for a few games that were not available any other way.....and I'd rather use uPlay!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

The complete opposite, it's far safer than anything else on the PC, UWP apps unlike Win32 apps cannot harm the OS. However given the pressures and reluctance by whats left of the Windows developer base MS has had to begin letting Win32 apps on the Store but it screens them beforehand so there is still some measure of security.
    IIRC i didn't say anything about the pros and cons of the type of binary, just that last time i read the Window Store was a mess.

Anyway this is a good thing, the Win Store is better than the crappy and old desktop system of hunting down apps and it provides a much cleaner install/un-install. If you still prefer that system your either old or having been hanging around old people picking up their habits! No-one who is young or using theirs PC's (Android/iOS) cares about hunting down random installers from the internet.
    I must have missed the edict that say all old people suddenly become senile fools, what's the cut off age for when people can no longer make decisions for themselves and need a multinational corporation to curate what they consume?

Plus in spite of the get off my lawn types who hate Windows yet still use it, the business of selling operating systems is dying and MS needs a viable app store to continue justify the huge costs of maintaining Windows.
    I have a lawn? Damn my senility, sorry about that us old folks have trouble remembering everything nowadays....Whose that, what are you doing?....Get of my lawn.

Android will push into PC space and kill of the PC some of you hold do dear if it gets the chance, it can do that because its free and PC makers who defect make more money from an Android system, so MS eventually has to give away Windows for free and for that it needs an app store.
    If you're talking about the desktop space I'd disagree as desktops still outsell laptops, notebooks, and (afak) tablets, if you're talking about smartphones i don't see people rushing to use those for anything but media consumption and post on social media how amaze their life is.

IMO Microsoft is doing more than anyone to kill the desktop OS, for many reasons that i won't go into hear for fear of going off on a old person rant.

If Windows app store does not take off and Android continues to push into this space then kiss goodbye to the PC as you knew it or say hello to Windows based Mac's with the OS tied to the hardware that MS or Dell whosever left can sell, that the future the current status quo cannot remain.
    You seem to be conflating an OS intended for mobile devises with an OS that has traditional been used on desktops, you're making the same mistake as Microsoft (IMO) in thinking that everyone is comfortable doing all the same tasks on both mobile and desktops.

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Having been an insider for over 2 years I can honestly say windows 10 is going down the tubes with its last 5-8 builds.
    They are killing the standard windows desktop OS system that we know and love with all sorts of stupid... cross platform crud.

OS's don't work that way ..... never have and never will, it will get to a point when the sale stop where they will have to sack a lot of phone/ mac / tablet useing idots now on the team.

That is my hope at least, well that and Donna having to hustle for a living ( instead of doing bugga all apart from smiling and posting photos on twitter).

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

I must have missed the edict that say all old people suddenly become senile fools, what's the cut off age for when people can no longer make decisions for themselves and need a multinational corporation to curate what they consume?
    Ungh, yeah! Sock it to 'em. *semi-enthusiastic cheering*

You seem to be conflating an OS intended for mobile devises with an OS that has traditional been used on desktops, you're making the same mistake as Microsoft (IMO) in thinking that everyone is comfortable doing all the same tasks on both mobile and desktops.
    As a youthful 20 year old still somewhat naive about tech, I definitely prefer the concept of a utilitarian, simple, aestheticially-pleasing standalone OS that does OS jobs rather than try to be everything for everyone. Put simply: I just want to "buy a copy" of Windows and have it do Windowsy stuff. XP style, but looking like 10. I can't imagine very many positive outcomes of having Microsoft take control of every layer above hardware either. Drivers, OS, software, applets.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

So it is true they are after the likes of Steam, Uplay & Origin.

Thread Information