Thread: Harman Kardon Invoke, Microsoft Cortana powered speaker teased

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Harman Kardon Invoke, Microsoft Cortana powered speaker teased

This AI smart home speaker will be available this autumn.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Re: Harman Kardon Invoke, Microsoft Cortana powered speaker teased

Are we witnessing the birth of an in-home AI arms race? Or did that already happen, with me asleep?

More compatible devices, more functions available, better understanding of voices and languages. Moremoremoremore.

How far have we actually come from original Siri anyway?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    How far have we actually come from original Siri anyway?
    Not very, although until the latest version of the Apple TV with the Siri handset, Siri wasn't really a stand alone device like Alexa.

Microsoft are late to market again. A few years ago that wouldn't have mattered too much, often the late comers improve on the original concept. But the home automation aspects of a device like this depends on have I got applications to support it. Microsoft will either be relying on third party developers to do that, or they will do it in house. Judging by the way Windows phone is currently fading into obscurity because of lack of applications, who knows.

On the other hand, this may fill a gap for those who are in the Microsoft ecosystem.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Microsoft are late to market again. A few years ago that wouldn't have mattered too much, often the late comers improve on the original concept. But the home automation aspects of a device like this depends on have I got applications to support it. Microsoft will either be relying on third party developers to do that, or they will do it in house. Judging by the way Windows phone is currently fading into obscurity because of lack of applications, who knows.
    I don't know about being late to the market so to speak, at least in the UK anyways as we've only just got google's option recently. I'd also say MS might have a good lead with cortana on windows 10, if anything amazon/apple are the ones which might have an issue long term although I suppose you could argue they do have their 'fans' lol.

While I like the idea of a device that links in with my emails/calendar etc and tells me about appointments and other things that are important or allows me to stream music from my 'onedrive music' folder (which I haven't uploaded to yet due to space/time etc), I just have an issue with everything being 'in the cloud'

While I trust my info with MS more than google, apple and amazon I still wouldn't feel comfortable with them having a microphone in my house that is 'always on' and it's the reason I don't use one drive to store 'personal' info.... same reason that while I have a facebook account it's empty of any personal information.

Also if MS follows with their current integration of their software with google and other cloud providers they could be a good option for those of us that have multiple providers for our webmail etc. Google is basically going to stick to google services, apple will likely stick with apple stuff, maybe add in some google/ms if you're lucky and amazon is basically hoping their 'brand' and cheaper pricing is strong enough to get a decent marketshare.

EDIT: none of the above makes any difference in the UK, the device is going to be US only supposedly... must be due to them pesky privacy laws they have lol

OilSheikh

Can Amazon sue them ?

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Can Amazon sue them ?
    For what?

bitbucket

One would have to be careful informing someone that you have a Harman Kardon. It could easily be misheard

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post

same reason that while I have a facebook account it's empty of any personal information.
    It might not be as empty as you think.

FB, and others, have been doing a lot of research into psychometric profiling, based on social media activity, like FB, and inferring things from it. Apparently, if you conduct (and this research HAS been done) a large number of profiles on test subjects, and then psychometric tests, you can derive a lot of likely data from it. This includes age, gender, race, educational level, likely affluence, job type and so on.

Then, using that data, they can match what you do, where you go, what you say you like or dislike, and so on, and infer, which an ever-increasing ievel of accuracy, exactly the kind of personal data you haven't given explicitly. It won't, clearly, be 100% accurate, but it WILL (as this system goes in) be attributed to you. Which raises the question of whether you're better off just giving them accurate data, or letting them infer attributes wuth whatever degree of accuracy it involves.

Or, like me, don't use FB, etc, at all because then, they have no activity to psychometrically profile.

Thread Information