Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google fined €2.42 billion for promoting own shopping results

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Google fined €2.42 billion for promoting own shopping results

Anti-competitive market distortion is abuse of Google's power says European Commission.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Google fined €2.42 billion for promoting own shopping results

Well I suppose the EU has to make up some of the money they'll lose from the UK leaving...

Thanks

I don't agree with this, Google is not abusing their position as the mainstream search engine, they are simply providing a service.

Why should Google provide this level of right when people use their own search engine to break up the service they're providing as part of their standard advertising business. Companies work with Google to put their products up in a way that means Google can find them and put them up a search result. When I search for a blu-ray player I don't want to see a god damn price comparison site, I want to see blu-ray players and Google is providing me that as their comparison. I use Google as my Comparison site to start with.

However if I want to see if I can build my dream PC and check the price metrics for my components, i will go somewhere else.

This is going too far with the fine, Google spent a lot of money, time and effort getting to where they are by providing good services to us users. If they get fined for enriching their users lives with their own developments too much, they will turn into a Microsoft or nVidia where everyone is just a consumer and their opinions matter as much as an Ant does to the planet.

Maybe it's just because I'm naive or something, but the fine is too large and the substance of what is being fined about is weak. Demotion of Googles competitors using anti-competitive Search algorithms? Bugger off, that is a weak argument at best, as I said, a customer searching for blu-ray players wants to see blu-ray resellers first, not comparison sites so you have to spend another click and time going through that site first.

I count my clicks and if I have to go through 5 links to get somewhere but 2 links another way, I will never take the 5 link route. I actively avoid comparison sites until I'm ready to make a purchase.

Thanks

I think the point here is that there are shops which benefit from being google approved sellers and if you are not then forget about showing up on their search engine if you look for x. There is clear distinction between not showing up because of algorithms that improve listings versus algorithms that favor their partners and at the end make them more money.

Simple fix for google.

Also people should applaud EU for actually standing up to the giants, unlike most governments which will only go after small establishments because big ones are just too big.

5. Received thanks from:

Hoonigan (29-06-2017),Saracen (28-06-2017)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    Also people should applaud EU for actually standing up to the giants, unlike most governments which will only go after small establishments because big ones are just too big.
    I would applaud them if I got a share of the fine.....where exactly does that money go and where is it coming from?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    I think the point here is that there are shops which benefit from being google approved sellers and if you are not then forget about showing up on their search engine if you look for x. There is clear distinction between not showing up because of algorithms that improve listings versus algorithms that favor their partners and at the end make them more money.
    As far as I'm aware Google is a business and not a charity, just because a lot of people use them to find products doesn't mean they have a responsibility to present those results "fairly" - that's how advertising works.

8. Received thanks from:

Tabbykatze (27-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    I don't agree with this, Google is not abusing their position as the mainstream search engine, they are simply providing a service.

Why should Google provide this level of right when people use their own search engine to break up the service they're providing as part of their standard advertising business. Companies work with Google to put their products up in a way that means Google can find them and put them up a search result. When I search for a blu-ray player I don't want to see a god damn price comparison site, I want to see blu-ray players and Google is providing me that as their comparison. I use Google as my Comparison site to start with.

However if I want to see if I can build my dream PC and check the price metrics for my components, i will go somewhere else.

This is going too far with the fine, Google spent a lot of money, time and effort getting to where they are by providing good services to us users. If they get fined for enriching their users lives with their own developments too much, they will turn into a Microsoft or nVidia where everyone is just a consumer and their opinions matter as much as an Ant does to the planet.

Maybe it's just because I'm naive or something, but the fine is too large and the substance of what is being fined about is weak. Demotion of Googles competitors using anti-competitive Search algorithms? Bugger off, that is a weak argument at best, as I said, a customer searching for blu-ray players wants to see blu-ray resellers first, not comparison sites so you have to spend another click and time going through that site first.

I count my clicks and if I have to go through 5 links to get somewhere but 2 links another way, I will never take the 5 link route. I actively avoid comparison sites until I'm ready to make a purchase.
    I pretty much agree with what you are saying. I don't agree with rules that stop companies like Microsoft and apple doing what they want to do with their own products that they have invested millions in, and to which people have the choice to use or not, and benefit from using them. Laws preventing or restricting browsers and media players and anti virus being included in an OS don't seem to be helping the consumer. Competitors are effectively making a business from selling software for the OS which has effectively given them a market because the OS makers are restricted from giving it away free.

10. Received thanks from:

Tabbykatze (27-06-2017)

Thanks

This is quite worrying as it could create precedent that Google is anti-competitive as a search engine against Yahoo and Bing...

Hmm..

Registered+
    Thanks

That's £5 for everyone in the EEA! I wonder when we all can expect to get it? Oh wait this is just another back-door tax scheme, never mind

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by een4dja View Post
    That's £5 for everyone in the EEA! I wonder when we all can expect to get it? Oh wait this is just another back-door tax scheme, never mind
    On what level is this a tax?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Because it was taken from the company because of an arbitrary rule and the public as a whole won't see or have the direct benefit of it. Frankly, I believe they take this money off them and either burn it or just delete the account it went into half the time </sarc>

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Edit: What Tabby said.

It's a good thing much of Google's money is accrued from advertising for other people, isn't it! And quite ironic too, given the circumstances...

Quote Originally Posted by een4dja View Post
    On a purely hypothetical note; how expensive would it be for them to find a method of sending £5 in localized currency to everyone in the EEA via a method they could use, in reasonable time? You think they could do it with a budget of €2.42bn?
    Last edited by Ozaron; 27-06-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: posted too slowly :(

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    On a purely hypothetical note; how expensive would it be for them to find a method of sending £5 in localized currency to everyone in the EEA via a method they could use, in reasonable time? You think they could do it with a budget of €2.42bn?
    I'm sure they could google it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I'm sure they could google it

Thanks

Seeing as this case has taken something like 7 years i wouldn't be surprised if Google spent more than the €2.42 billion fine in legal fees.

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

It's a little like Tesco promoting their own brand over that of national chains...

Wait, this already happens, so what's the issue? As long as they don't affect the filtering on ordering by price, then I fail to see what precisely is wrong with their actions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information