Thread: Corsair HX1000 1,000W PSU

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Corsair HX1000 1,000W PSU

A no-nonsense supply for a high-end build.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Corsair HX1000 1,000W PSU

I have the 650w, 1000w is too much (4790k and GTX1070)...

Thanks

We believe it to be reasonable to spend at least 10 per cent of the total PC base unit budget on a PSU. A high-quality model will offer years of reliable performance that should span multiple builds.

In that context the Corsair HX 1000, a Platinum-rated model that offers no-nonsense performance across a wide variety of tests, is a good bet at around £175.
    Wow, I'm lost for words on this advice!!! It's up there with £100 HDMI cables and £50/m speaker cable.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

£175 does seem steep, a fully modular EVGA SuperNova 1000W comes in under £150, I wouldn't expect any noticeable difference between "Gold" and "Platinum" outside of Marketing.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
    Wow, I'm lost for words on this advice!!! It's up there with £100 HDMI cables and £50/m speaker cable.
    The 1st paragraph i.e. 10% of build budget I would agree with. Otherwise you may as well go around recommending ColorsIT cheapo psu's which you can guarantee will kill themselves sometime in the very near future. And if your unlucky burn your house down at the same time.

As for the rest of the statement, well the you should choose a PSU that can cope with your current and future demands, personally the PSU is is one component I probably only change once every 10-15 years. Therefore buying a quality one initially saves me money in the long term, surviving many upgrades and also saving £'s by being efficient.

Me, I wouldn't spend £175 on a PSU, but then I can never envisage a use case where I'd need one.

Thanks

I agree that you should choose a PSU that can cope with your current and future demands, and buy one that is recognised as being "good" based on reviews, forum, manufacturer. But I don't think the cost of the total PC should have any direct correlation with the cost of the PSU in terms of percentage or fractions.

Look at this list... https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...power-supplies

I'm sure that you can find a capable PSU between £69-95 that would be a solid choice for 95% of PC builds. Unless you are running SLI Titans or exotic cooling to hit an OC record, I don't see the need for a PSU above 750w. (FYI, I think my PSU is 650w.)

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

I think the 10% is more of a rough guide. Entirely agree that £65-95 quid should sort most people a decent PSU that should last a long time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    I think the 10% is more of a rough guide. Entirely agree that £65-95 quid should sort most people a decent PSU that should last a long time.
    I still disagree. Whether building an £800 or £1500 rig, I would buy a PSU from the list I referred to.

IMHO, PSUs should be considered differently to other part of the system. Price bracket of CPU, mobo and GFX depend on speed and number of features... not everyone needs a super fast processor or gfx card, or 12 USB3 sockets, but everyone needs a consistent and reliable power supply no matter what the overall cost of your PC.

There are some options with a PSU, for example modular or not, and different levels of efficiency, but you should always get one that is suitable for your power need and always a reputable supply.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
    I still disagree. Whether building an £800 or £1500 rig, I would buy a PSU from the list I referred to.

IMHO, PSUs should be considered differently to other part of the system. Price bracket of CPU, mobo and GFX depend on speed and number of features... not everyone needs a super fast processor or gfx card, or 12 USB3 sockets, but everyone needs a consistent and reliable power supply no matter what the overall cost of your PC.

There are some options with a PSU, for example modular or not, and different levels of efficiency, but you should always get one that is suitable for your power need and always a reputable supply.
    Then I'm not sure where you & I disagree, as I would entirely support everything you have said thus far apart from your opening post?? My point is I think what the review is getting at is that for most normal, non techy people, spending around 10% of the overall budget on a PSU will get you one that should be decent and right for your system.

For us that know what we're doing that statement will probably not hold true as we know how to work out what our power requirements are and what they're likely to be in the future too. Therefore we will spend what it takes to get the right PSU, for the right system, for the right price, irrespective of what the overall budget is. And to my mind that is very different to spending £100 on a Monster HDMI cable cos guy from Curry's/PCWorld or a What Hi-fi review tells you that will make the picture better.

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)

Well, I also like to look at the efficiency ratings of PSUs and Corsair do provide some handy little graphs depending on the model AX/HX etc, and my first decent PSU was the HX1000i for my X99 productivity box.

Totally over the top, but at least it provides some future proofing in the way of quality components (caps etc.). Time will tell how long this PSU lasts.

Anyways, since then I've bought 2x AX860is as thats a 'fair' max for any basic rig. Some here have indicated that 750W would be plenty for most and that's true.

Don't forget component quality/longevity and efficiency though. The Corsair Link 4 app is handy to get an idea of power-draw from the wall, although it sucks there is no Linux support.

I was also considering EVGA P2/T2 units in the 750W range for any future builds.

Registered+
    Thanks

A 650W power supply is plenty for nearly all users. 850W is plenty for two overclocked cards in SLI. 1000W is overkill and really shouldn't be bought at all by the majority. I have a RM650X and it perfectly powers my setup with my CPU, GPU and RAM being overclocked. You just have to make sure that the capacitors and the brand is decent.

Thread Information