Thread: Likely AMD Radeon RX Vega codenames revealed

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Likely AMD Radeon RX Vega codenames revealed

A trio of cards; the Vega XTX, Vega XT and the Vega XL could be revealed at SIGGRAPH.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Re: Likely AMD Radeon RX Vega codenames revealed

For me the hype train has long left the station and I find myself going from a few months ago wanting to buy one of these to waiting till they are out in the hopes that it makes nvidia drop their prices at the top end and then buy one of theirs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    For me the hype train has long left the station and I find myself going from a few months ago wanting to buy one of these to waiting till they are out in the hopes that it makes nvidia drop their prices at the top end and then buy one of theirs.
    So you're going to wait till these come out in the hope that nVidia drop their prices? Sure the hype train has left the station but it's still something to look forward to.

Thanks
    • malculator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASROCK X470 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900XT
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Patriot DDR4 3200 MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD + 2 x (2TB Crucial MX500 SSD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750 V2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27UM67 27" 4K IPS Freesync
      • Internet:
      • 200Mbps Virgin Media cable

I gambled on a GTX 1080 ti for £608 in the Amazon Prime sale. Should I have waited???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malculator View Post
    I gambled on a GTX 1080 ti for £608 in the Amazon Prime sale. Should I have waited???
    Its looking very unlikely they will exceed the performance of a 1080ti

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malculator View Post
    ...for Volta maybe. The same rumours that give these codenames also talk about mid-late August for gaming Vega mass availability, and it is going to take some pretty magical driver improvements to make the chip competitive relative to its manufacturing costs.

Thank goodness for Ryzen.
    CAPS LOCK IS NOT A BUTTON IT IS A WAY OF LIFE.

Thanks
    • malculator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASROCK X470 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900XT
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Patriot DDR4 3200 MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD + 2 x (2TB Crucial MX500 SSD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750 V2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27UM67 27" 4K IPS Freesync
      • Internet:
      • 200Mbps Virgin Media cable

Quote Originally Posted by GhostSquirrel View Post
    Its looking very unlikely they will exceed the performance of a 1080ti
    The Vega FE gaming benchmarks were disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN_ALLCAPS View Post
    ... and it is going to take some pretty magical driver improvements to make the chip competitive relative to its manufacturing costs.
    I guess we'll find out just how much the driver optimisations increase performance in a couple of weeks. The alleged high power requirements were also off-putting.

Registered+
    Thanks

It is all down to price at the end of the day. The high power draw is not a major issue for most but it can be a road block for people who already have a build setup. As long as it is lower than my very cool and quiet R9 290......

Thanks

If you can afford a $600 card how can you NOT afford $5 electricity bill every month? 2 years back an AMD engineer said high end gamers are for performance and spending a few dollars a month on electricity is a none issue. (cough cough Nvidia cards which pretend to be more efficient yet offer only 10W less than an AMD card)

Thanks

So NV has the faster card and 11GB. I guess these had better be around $500 (1080 range which appears to be the real competition here now) or they'll have a tough time selling them. Then again if the mining craze keeps going everything will keep selling out for a bit I guess. Though you can see the stock take a hit today on ETH price drop (heck every coin dropped, so much for mining).

I'm guessing there is a 16GB card coming soon for home users since the one that already dropped was workstation related. I don't think 8GB will sell well against a faster 11GB 1080ti if priced near $700. Watts don't look too good either. I'll wait for reviews to judge the cards further of course, but it really seems they had to jack up the cards to catch 1080, never mind 1080ti (which is the price you pay for being 6-8 months late due to multiple HBM2 delays). Since the shelves are cleaned now, I hope NV drops the replacement cards soon as it looks like that is what I want now. GDDR5x on a 1070/1080 sounds good, along with another 10-15% perf or something from jacked up clocks. GDDR5x is supposed to be on all but the very bottom card from NV shortly. The whole mining re-incident has helped both sides clean the shelves of old tech, so hopefully it brings faster versions sooner rather than later for NV. Without the mining thing they would have been stuck selling older stuff for much longer, but now no reason to hold back the GDDR5x versions of the whole lineup (the 20 series, 2080/2070 etc). I can wait out a few more months for a Q3 refresh with GDDR5x and higher clocks. Worst case, both sides drop prices some and I get a better deal on whatever I buy from either side.

Too bad AMD went with HBM2. Vega could have made some real money 8 months ago. Now I think they'll only get profit in the workstation side. A larger die than 1080 ti, more expensive memory (HBM2), probably shortages on HBM2 limiting sales, etc, I just don't see much money here. Thank god for the cpu side. Some real money can be made over there since they haven't had anything for sale above $150 for a while on the cpu side.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    So NV has the faster card and 11GB. I guess these had better be around $500 (1080 range which appears to be the real competition here now) or they'll have a tough time selling them. Then again if the mining craze keeps going everything will keep selling out for a bit I guess. Though you can see the stock take a hit today on ETH price drop (heck every coin dropped, so much for mining).

I'm guessing there is a 16GB card coming soon for home users since the one that already dropped was workstation related. I don't think 8GB will sell well against a faster 11GB 1080ti if priced near $700. Watts don't look too good either. I'll wait for reviews to judge the cards further of course, but it really seems they had to jack up the cards to catch 1080, never mind 1080ti (which is the price you pay for being 6-8 months late due to multiple HBM2 delays). Since the shelves are cleaned now, I hope NV drops the replacement cards soon as it looks like that is what I want now. GDDR5x on a 1070/1080 sounds good, along with another 10-15% perf or something from jacked up clocks. GDDR5x is supposed to be on all but the very bottom card from NV shortly. The whole mining re-incident has helped both sides clean the shelves of old tech, so hopefully it brings faster versions sooner rather than later for NV. Without the mining thing they would have been stuck selling older stuff for much longer, but now no reason to hold back the GDDR5x versions of the whole lineup (the 20 series, 2080/2070 etc). I can wait out a few more months for a Q3 refresh with GDDR5x and higher clocks. Worst case, both sides drop prices some and I get a better deal on whatever I buy from either side.

Too bad AMD went with HBM2. Vega could have made some real money 8 months ago. Now I think they'll only get profit in the workstation side. A larger die than 1080 ti, more expensive memory (HBM2), probably shortages on HBM2 limiting sales, etc, I just don't see much money here. Thank god for the cpu side. Some real money can be made over there since they haven't had anything for sale above $150 for a while on the cpu side.
    I don't think Vega will suffer that much for having 8GB VRAM vs the 11/12 for GP102; we've only recently reached the point where 4GB holds back higher end cards. What will hurt though is that after all the money spent and delays suffered for its high bandwidth memory, Vega will only match the memory bandwidth of the 1080 Ti.
    CAPS LOCK IS NOT A BUTTON IT IS A WAY OF LIFE.

Thanks

I don't think HBM2 is the reason why Vega has delayed all this time. Raja pointed out that the Vega architecture is different to the Fury class GPU, even the software running the GPU had to be re-written. Those 4096 shaders are not the same to the Fury.

Thread Information