Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Little Devil: Shuttle Based Modding

Thanks

Project Little Devil: Shuttle Based Modding

I will be sticking a picture of my current progress on this project here later but first I will post all the details of the project so far to get you all upto date.

Please bear in mind there is a lot hehe

ALL PICTURES ARE THUMBNAILS CLICK ON THEM FOR FULL SHOTS!

You'd be surprised how often people ask that so I will say it loud to start off with hehe

Picture for date purposes:

Last edited by Gordy; 06-07-2005 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    This project is going to be a long one as money is short at the moment so I can't afford to spend a fortune on modding things. I'm working on a Shuttle g2 case which I bought a month or so ago. Its a bare chassis, which is brand new. Once I get a bit further on with the project I will buy a SB61G2 probably to get the mobo out of.

Chassis pics

I also ordered a shuttle Silent X psu for the project, this is a nice looking psu.

My first step was to remove the rear grill from the chassis as it blocks to much air and makes extra noise.

I've done lots of other modding which you can find on the full project log : http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/main.php?page=liquidbloo

Yesterday I got around to modding the psu. I removed all the stickers from the case and then rewired it completly with silver cable and blue connectors. I seriously injured my finger in the process which hurt like hell, but thats the risk of modding

I need to complete the full wiring loom but that will wait till next week at the earliest.

Hope you enjoy what I've completed so far. I've got big plans for the rest of the project which should make it ace to look at.

Thanks
    Another update, I've been working on lots of different parts of the project. First off I have recieved the Coolermaster Neon Fans in blue that I want to use for the project. I set upon them to re wire them so the cables were the same silver cabling used on the psu. I also rewired the circuit so that the led and fan circuit are seperate.

This means that I can run the fans at any voltage without any problems.

Onto the pictures:

I also setup the rheostat and mounted into the shuttle case where the wireless network arial would go.

Next up I attacked the front panel so that the fans can be placed in the front panel.

Thanks
    Next up I attacked the front panel so that the fans can be placed in the front panel.

This was done with a dremmel, onto the pictures:

Thanks
    I've recieved some more supplies for the mod, mainly two huge sheets of blue plexi.

I set to work on the front panel modding, I've already cut a sheet of thick aluminium to size. I then cut a sheet of the plexi to size as well. Here's some pictures of the work.

A quick picture of the cold cathodes I'm using for the project as well.

Thanks
    I've gone well past the no turning back point on this case.

I've removed the front section of the case where the fans are going to go. I did this with my trusty dremmel. I then removed a section of the hard disc bay where the fans where going.

The fans in place to give me an idea how much to remove from the hard disc bay.

Removing the section of the hard disc bay

And finally some shots of the bay thang back in place.

Hope you like the progress so far.

Thanks
    I had some forwards and some backwards movement on the project yesterday.

I bought a cheap drill that will take the arbour so I could do the holes I required.

I started off measuring and drilling some pilot holes , and then cut a hole through the perspex and the aluminium. Unfortunatly I ballsed up in my calculations and put the holes too close together DOh!

I quickly knocked up another front panel this time with the holes in the correct place

I also knocked up a little grill surround for the back grill

So despite the mess up , I made forward progress.

Thanks
    I've had some frustration over the last few days, First off I completed the wiring loom with the new connectors I ordered.

I intend to paint the white connector silver when I get time.

After this I attempted to make some rings of blue perspex to mount around the blowholes in the front panel.

This was alot harder than I imagined I tried 4 different methods before find one that would create perfect circles.<br /><br />
    What I did was to cut out a rough circle 90mm in diameter, then drill a central hole. In the hole I mounted a nut and bolt and tightened it securely. I then stuck the bolt in a drill and spun the disc with the drill filling off as it spun. Its a very quick method of making circles.

After that I cut some 76mm holes out of the center with a holesaw. They need polishing on the edges but they are a lot better than I feared.

Thanks
    Its been a busy day of filing with not a great deal of progress, I've put one of them together to give you an idea of the final look of the discs together. No clues as to what they are for tho hehe. The bolts just there to line them up.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to use this switch yet but I've wired it up in the normal pretty cabling

Thanks
    Second quick update , I've drilled the bolt holes for the front fans.

Here's them in the perspex

And a couple of final pictures with the front panel and bloo rings in place

Thanks
    Another day another update, I've spent the last few days trying to tidy up the perspex bits I've already cut, I've got a couple of grits of sandpaper and some novus #1 and #2 out for polishing. I've not finished yet but the difference is noticable already.

Also I've order a very cheap zalman heatsink for the northbridge when it arrives. It comes in a nice bloo to match the perspex.

Also I started on a box to contain the fan control circuit I've made, the circuit and box arent finished yet but you get the idea.

I've not done as much as I wanted as I got majorly sidetracked by a bundle of fluff, also know as pepper my parents new puppy. She's too cut for words, bless her

Everyone say awwwwwww.. hehe.

Thanks
    Another daily hupdate.

I've been doing a few minor bits of the project, firstly I've been finishing off the little circuit box. This now has a lid , and some cut outs for the inputs. The circuit still needs to be finished before I can put a tick by the fan box saying complete but its close.

I also polished up the perspex fan grill for the rear fan and did a test fit

And lastly I've started the bay unit that will hold the vfd graphic display I will be using

Thanks
    Its been a nightmare day of perspex cracking on me . I've had to redo both the front rings as the first I ballesd up measure the drill points for the bolts and the second snapped while drilling. Mind you I have done them in half the time it took before so it wasnt all bad.

The back grill mount also snapped on me so that is being redone as well.

All part of the ups and downs I suppose grrr.

Anyway onto the pics first is of the slot for the optical drive being cut out of the front panels

Then the infamous rings of pain

And finally the redone ones that are the final article thank god. The protective coatin is still in place , but you get the idea from the older pics. The bolts look damn good but I may change them for countersunk ones I can't decide hehe.

Thanks
    I've been kind of distracted by a redo of an older project and some other real life stuff so I've not done much on this project yet. I've decided I'm not happy with the front panel so I will be using this one as a test piece with a final build of a new one running along side this. I took the time to practice my brushing technique, there are a few finger prints on it but these shots give you a real idea of how the final thing will look:

Thanks
    Its been a while since I've updated this log , because I've been working on another project. I have done a quick bit of work today , pictures of which you can see now. Its just me removing the logo from the shuttle faceplate.

Thanks
    I've had some time to do some more work on this mod, I've decided to make a few changes but that won't happen for a bit , its due to a new feature I am adding to the front

What I have done is cutout the window and cut the perspex to go into the window. It still has its protective sheet on but you get the idea. The perspex is held in place by four bolts which look quite nice.

As usual the pictures are clickable links to larger shots:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information