• 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Hmm.

Its never really wise to look at ones bank statements is it?

I've just worked out that since i bought my 200sx in november 2004, i have been spending (and paying off) on average, £500 on the credit card every month. I am a bit shocked really, i didnt realise i had been spending so much.

Thats on stuff like, performance parts from Apex Performance (never should have given them my C/C details!), car tax, tyres, petrol (£150-170/month roughly) and other assorted bits ive bought such as brake pads and what not.

So - i have come to the conclusion that thats a bit silly really considering i have not even bought my own house yet

I guess thats the price you gotta pay for being able to 0wnz0r posers cars such as audi TT's on a whim. Its certainly been ALOT of fun the last 8 months!

So now i have to decide what to do. Could sell the car of course and buy one that isnt quite so mentalist. Or i could return my car to standard and drive a bit more economically. Or i could just carry on as i am now.

Will have to do a bit of thinking. Ive got a pay / job review thing coming up in january 06 which will mean i could either be promoted (yay) or demoted (boo) so that could be interesting. Even if i am demoted my pay will be fixed as it is now for 3 years, but if that were to were happen i would probably want to find a new job as ive put so much work into that place that i just wouldnt be able to work there any longer.

Its not tempting to sell the car, its just too much fun. It is tempting just to return it to standard and then run it ito the ground over the next 6 months. It is equally tempting just to carry on as i am, i love driving to work every day. I guess having a car like mine but wanting to save money on running costs would be like havinga supermodel as a wife but then having to save money on condoms. Its almost not possible to do

What you guys recon? And what on earth cheap car could i buy that would possibly come anywhere near my 200sx?

Butuz

Thanks
    I dont think you'll kill it in the next 6 months if you are well behaved.
    I know there have been a few event in the SXOC which have tempered even the wildest driving spirit, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the benefits of a high performance car in the right places.

what mods have you added so far ?

what do you anticipate going wrong in the next few months ?

this seems abit of a way from the "year of the RB" you had planned.

I've spent a fortune on my S13 since feb- and havn't driven it since

it happens to the best of us mate - if the worst comes ot the wost then buy a cheap runabout for a bit and save for bigger and better things on the 200
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    there are other cars you could get that would have similar performance..

lets say yer car cost you £5k, and you're willing to mod..

you could easily get a tvr for that money, and imo that has a bit more status than your car. a quick turbo on that v8 and it'd fly..

surely a prezza or evo could out-pace the 200sx with a bit of tweaking, or an integra type r, or maybe a mr2 thats done up.

dare i say.. skyline..?
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    5lab - get me a decent insurance quote on a GTR skyline , then post again

IIRC butuz's base car was a LOT less than 5k - 5k woudl buy you a much newer base car.

skyline wise you'd be looking at a battered r32 gtr or possibly an equally tatty r33GTS-T

to mod it to the planned level you are still looking at spending some hefty cash.

eg. a 300bhp 200sx will be capable of 0-60 in well under 6 seconds.

I've done the sums and a 200sx is one of the best bang for your buck rear wheel drive sports cars around.

its not the overzealous fanboy approach you get with graphics card here - its real numbers.

find me a TVR thats less than 10 years old for 5k ?

from a quick auto trader check , 5k will buy you an evo 3 in a very mild state - not a patch on what you could get for the equivilent 200.

I'm afraid your opinion is not negiciable currency - while nice an EVO is , its still a 4door family car ram raided through halfords.

do me a huge favour an RESEARCH your posts next time please.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    easy tiger, i was just suggesting similar alternitive cars for the money. he didnt say it had to be that new.. he just said ' Could sell the car of course and buy one that isnt quite so mentalist. ' - i was simply suggesting alternatives - an evo 3 is just that - not quite as crazy as what he's got at the mo, and that fits the bill.

hows about a fiat coupe turbo? apparently 0-60 in 6 seconds flat, or a bimmer m3 (10 years old mind) that would probably be similarly quick. the 200 is a quick car, but its not the quickest of its era, and its not the cheapest of its era either. maybe it fits the bill of 'the best rear wheel drive sports car thats easily moddable and costs around 5 grand and is about 7 years old', but thats not what was asked.
    5 grand would get you a decent (if appearances are anything to go by) 95 supra, or a similar age rx7, or a ford cougar with loads to spare for modding. a lexus soarer (unusual, yes, but nippy too) is the same sorta money.. whats wrong with those suggestions? some will be quicker than the 200sx, others will be more reliable/newer. you pays yer money..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    Soarer = good , esp if you get a v8

The coupes did pretty well against the 200's in a recent sanatapod shootout - I dont know if they are as cheap to tune , but the owners club looked like a nice bunch when I met up with them.

RX-7 - divine , but get one after the rebuild for that cash coudl be hard.
    cougar - I'd rather an MX-6 and save a few grand ( I know the mx-6 is probe based cut it can't be worse than a cougar )

not sure on the supra's - A decent TT woudl be more than 5k from what I've seen ( unless you want a mark 3 - nice but chestwiggy )

if I wanted something truely different , it would have to be a Mazda Cosmo

http://www.hurley-engineering.ltd.uk...s.aspx?carid=7

Thanks
    Predictable, but hey... MR2 turbo - cheapish (to buy) and very quick plus a huge factor and every now and again a bit of a factor as well!

Thanks
    If you're spending £170 a month on petrol why not buy an old diesel supermini (like a Clio) for £500 or so and run that day to day? Your fuel bills will halve at a stroke, the insurance on the SX might get cheaper as you'll be doing fewer miles and won't be commuting in it. You'll be wearing out your pride and joy less and it'll feel more special when you get in to drive it at weekends after a week of roughing it (although my Mum has a diesel Mk1 Clio and it's actually quite good fun to drive).

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    The man rave speaketh the truth - However, the only problem with the second car theory is the second set of headaches it brings;
    Two lots of insurance
    Two lots of road tax
    Two lots of MOT's.

You've also got to have space at your house for two cars.
    The first three can be worked to not clash with your existing car, but space to park the thing is a different ball game.

Thanks
    Big 'ol money pits, especially the faster ones. Even though my 'Dub was a free gift it STILL costs what I'd consider to be a small fortune a month in insurance, fuel and other occasional bits and bobs so god only knows what I'd be paying if it was on finance as well

Thanks
    Stop modding it? Seems you might make a decent saving.
    I'd leave it as is, don't take anything off, just don't spend any more adding new stuff.
    If you're genuinely worried about fuel consumption fit a boost control (if you've not already) and turn it down for day-to-day use.
    Have another peek at your finances a couple of months down the line and see if you're spending less.

The process of selling and buying a replacement or second car will cost you a whole heap more so avoid that if you can. Oh and cancelling a loan may also cost if you do choose to sell it altogether.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vimeous
    Stop modding it? Seems you might make a decent saving.
    I'd leave it as is, don't take anything off, just don't spend any more adding new stuff.
    If you're genuinely worried about fuel consumption fit a boost control (if you've not already) and turn it down for day-to-day use.
    Have another peek at your finances a couple of months down the line and see if you're spending less.

The process of selling and buying a replacement or second car will cost you a whole heap more so avoid that if you can. Oh and cancelling a loan may also cost if you do choose to sell it altogether.
    What he said. Saved me typing it all.
    And none of the suggested performance alternatives seemed to be a penny cheaper to me.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Thanks
    I would go with what Vimeous has said, then re-consider a bit further down the line, especially if your looking to get into the housing market.
    We (my wife and I) have stopped checking bank statements, CC bills for everything Ive spent on my toy.... it tkaes the shine of it somewhat when you work out the true cost

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Thanks for all the advice and feedback etc

Well after all of the moaning about spending money, and moaning about petrol costs, and moaning about maybe selling the car...

.... I've gone and done the complete opposite!!!!

Expect a new thread to appear after the weekend detailing my new projekt

It seems my heart has won over my concience yet again

Butuz

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    what ya bought? bigger turbo?

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

Thread Information