Thread: HEXUS.beans :: Intel Yonah features exposed

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks

Cool HEXUS.beans :: Intel Yonah features exposed

Quote Originally Posted by Oor Willy
    Daydreaming this morning about sun, sea and sand, being as it is a very brisk day in February in dear ol' Blighty, whispers reach me on the chilly winds that Intel, paragon of processor virtue, is intentionally hiding a mightily attractive feature in one of its new CPUs, and from the very buying public that might be interested in it. 64-bits, sir? Ooh, suits you! Got no idea what I'm on about? You'll be clicking on this link then.
    Want to comment on Willy's bean? Do so in this very thread!
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Thanks
    So wait, can you actually run 64bit programs on it, or has it been "hard locked" not to do so?

Thanks
    Sounds like EMT64 has just been disabled on the processor. I doubt that it can be re-enabled. Could they have turned them off to keep the TDP down, for in a notebook?

Thanks
    I doubt (just IMHO) EMT64 has such great thermal payload... maybe it's a just the typical Intel approach, gradually adding features to a CPU family.

Thanks
    Interesting point... it may be that the 64-bitness wasn't entirely ready: Was it the Intel 875 chipset that was going to have built-in WiFi but it was broken, so they switched it off? I can't remember.

What is quite amusing is the way Gizmodo have completely blown this up! I can't wait til it hits Engadget.

ch424

Thanks
    And it transpires that Sossaman supports iAMD64, er, sorry, 'EM64T', symmetric multi-processing with another Sossaman Xeon, and hardware virtualisation. Intel's implementation of the 64-bit extension to x86, SMP and hardware VT are all missing from the official specs of Intel Core Duo consumer processors, despite Yonah and Sossaman being the same thing.
    I have an Dell Inspiron 9400 with the Yonah CPU and there's an option in the BIOS to ENABLE the VT.

-=Seppi2k=-

Thanks
    Don't know about the 64-bit support but it definitely supports virtualization. There is quite a lot of conflicting information floating around about this but there is a pretty definite response here: http://appleintelfaq.com/#10.1 The More info link on that page links to an e-mail from Intel stating VT is supported by the Core Duo chips.

Thread Information