Thread: Seasonic PSU with an Antec P180 case?

Thanks

Seasonic PSU with an Antec P180 case?

I've heard rumors that the Seasonic PSU (S12 600W) has short cables that may be a problem for cases where the PSU is mounted below the motherboard. My Antec P180 is such a case. Can anyone tell me (from experience) whether the Seasonic PSU is a problem with this P180 case? Thanks!

Senile Member
    Thanks
    I have both those components, you might find that you have to annoyingly stretch a cable right across your mobo but it fits.

Thanks
    Thanks Redputty. Since you have both of those components, do you have any further thoughts about them, and how they work together? I'd be interested.

The Antec P180 case is designed to optimize the "wind tunnel" effect of the case (actually two different wind tunnels), from front to back. So I strongly considered getting a powersupply whose airflow is likewise front to back. Such as the Antec Neo or Antec Phantom line of powersupplies. And I'm still tempted.

But I'm attracted to the higher efficiency of the Seasonic S12 powersupplies. However, they do not flow the air from front to back, but rather, around corners. That is, the air flows from front to back, then makes a 90 degree turn into the Seasonic fan, then makes another 90 degree turn so the flow is out the back of the powersupply. In theory, a straight-through, front-to-back airflow would work better. (And I tend to think that is the wave of the future, as power, temperature, efficiency, cooling, and quietness increase in importance.)

Any thoughts on this, or anything else about these two components?

Thanks
    • toolsong's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D EVO
      • CPU:
      • i7 860 @ 3.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X650
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre @ 100/40
    Luckily for you I have just the pic you need

The tightest cable is the ATX power one but it fits around the back of an Arctic Cooler 5

Senile Member
    Thanks
    yes as in the pic above the air does kinda have to go around the corner, I am not sure whether this is a problem though as you can feel from the front that a reasonable amount of air is being pulled through (thanks also to the case fan that sits between the psu and the HDDs).

Cable issues also depend on your motherboard, for example I had to stretch the 4 pin atx lead right across the motherboard whereas toolsong seems to not have that problem with his mobo.

Thanks
    Thanks RedPutty and toolsong! A picture is worth 1,000 words, it's true. The above picture tells me a lot.

(1) The Seasonic PSU fits inside the PSU cage of the Antec P180 case. (Which I believed from the specs, but it's good to see an actual picture of it.)

(2) Using the above photo, if the power connector is on the top edge of the mobo (not too far to the left), then the cable length is no problem. Indeed, the cable length seems nearly perfect in the above photo with the DFI mobo.

(3) The A8n-SLI-premium mobo has the power connector on the left edge, which would be more problematic for cable length. Indeed, that was the very mobo I was looking at getting -- until this week. To my complete surprise, I've recently changed my thinking away from the Nvidia 7800GTx, and toward the ATI X1900XT -- with a corresponding change in the mobo (toward an ATI Crossfire mobo of some type ... ?). I plan on making the big purchases within the next few weeks. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    • toolsong's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P7P55D EVO
      • CPU:
      • i7 860 @ 3.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X650
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre @ 100/40
    Cable length is easily fixed with one of these http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=204562

Are you definately planning to get a crossfire setup at some stage? If not, why the "corresponding change in the mobo" to go with the X1900...I'd say the NF4 platform has it all over any of ATI's at the moment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toolsong
    Cable length is easily fixed with one of these http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=204562
    Thanks toolsong! It's good to see this powercable-extender as an option, in case I need it.

Are you definately planning to get a crossfire setup at some stage? If not, why the "corresponding change in the mobo" to go with the X1900...I'd say the NF4 platform has it all over any of ATI's at the moment.
    I hear the Crossfire approach is cleaner/better than SLI. (e.g. Crossfire can work on any game or application, whereas SLI cannot). But I'm not committed to Crossfire. Indeed, I doubt (on this build, this time around) that I would later use either Crossfire or SLI. My general hunch is: Get Crossfire/SLI if I'm going to use it NOW, otherwise it's doubtful I would upgrade to it by purchasing an additional graphics card later. (Buying an additional card, say, three years later, would likely be an obsolete approach, since it would not implement the new graphics features. What's the point of doing the old-obsolete graphics features faster [by adding another graphics card], especially if your original graphics card is fast enough at those features?) Instead, put the money into a good graphics card now.

I've heard the standard PCI bus is being phased-out, and replaced by PCI-express, and that there will soon be various add-in boards based on PCI-express. In that case, can the second PCI-express slot (on a Crossfire or SLI mobo) be used for something other than a graphics card? If so, then this would be a good reason to choose a "dual-graphics" mobo.

At any rate, I'm quite willing to consider possibly using an ATI graphics card with an Nvidia-SLI mobo (would that setup even work in dual-graphics mode?). Or, getting an NON-dual-graphics mobo, and just forgeting about dual-graphics altogether. I'm also looking at the new Asus A8R32-MVP, which is due out any day. I dunno. Given all that, can you offer any thoughts on a mobo to go with an ATI X1900XT? Thanks!

Thanks

New S12 cable are long enough

I just baught the Seasonic S12 600 from NewEgg. It was more than other places but they were selling the most recent model. Wire wrapes etc.

The after mounting the PS, the cables reached over the top of the case. It seems they are much longer than the previous.

Thanks
    • amjedm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-Sli Premium
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 4200 S939 + Scythe Ninja rev A
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung T 160GB Sata in Scythe Quiet Box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 6600 256MB + Cooling Mod
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 485 (fanless) - lower chamber P180 fan doing the PSU cooling
      • Case:
      • P180 (modded - easier cable routing, front and rear grills cut)
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" WTQ?
      • Internet:
      • O2 8MB (Standard)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjelly
    I just baught the Seasonic S12 600 from NewEgg. It was more than other places but they were selling the most recent model. Wire wrapes etc.

The after mounting the PS, the cables reached over the top of the case. It seems they are much longer than the previous.
    I emailed Seasonic to find out when the new version would be available in the UK. They forwarded my email to their distributor (www.nanopoint.co.uk), I'm still waiting for a reply several weeks later.

Thread Information