• Graphics card(s):
      • Integrated Intel
      • Case:
      • Macbook
      • Monitor(s):
      • 13.1" + 19" Hyundai N91W

Thoughts on SilverStone LC11 case

Hi,

I'm in the process of speccing a HTPC. The case seems to be the most difficult part of the build. Currently looking for a slim, good looking case that fits a mATX motherboard and will take a A64 without getting too toasty. One of the best fits seems to be the SilverStone LC11.

Just wondered if anyone who owns one could either recommend it or highlight any shortcomings?

If there are better cases out there for the equivalent (or less) price then I'd like to hear any recommendations.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks
    I think it's a nice case, though the wood effect on the black unit isn't to everyones taste.

If you're using a PCI-e graphics card the motherboard layout has to be spot on and don't forget the extra £20 for the PCI-e riser. However if you just want to use 'old' style PCI then you can use the top slot for something like a spdif bracket. The Silverstone site also talks about certain DVD drives not fitting width wise. I usually use ones like LG, LiteOn and Sony in these type of cases because of the shorter drive length. I've never had a problem with any new DVD drive not fitting but I guess there must be one somewhere!

The front fan in the unit is a pathetic 2 wire fan that just spins at one speed. It's best to pop this out for one that you can control the speed on. The side mounted fan is a 3 wire fan and so is possible to contol in the right set-up. You can quite easily make this a quiet unit.

The newer unit has a 300W PSU, some suppliers still sell the 240W version. The PSU is a specific size and shape for this case so you've no room for changing it but it is pretty quiet.

With the fact that you've got a maximum of 3 slots via risers the graphics card (or any PCI cards) can't be too wide or you'll lose the adjoining space too.

As I'm sure you've seen the motherboard fixes to the roof of the case and the fan grille that's normally above the CPU will be at the bottom of your HTPC. Obviously this needs to have an unrestricted air supply. All your motherboard sockets at the rear are upside down.

Occasionally the fitting of the DVD drive can be a little fiddly with the use of the alun key, but if this is the case just try fitting the 3 bolts in a different order.

The case doesn't use any motherboard risers, it's just screwed into the chassis. I've not come across this anywhere else but it obviously is made that way.

The Asus A8n VM CSM fits the case perfectly.

I like the case, it's a low profile and looks nice. It's also got the usual Imon/Silverstone VFD version available.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    THIS CASE IS ****.

there, i said it.

i bought one, ended up taking it to the dump.

1) the integrated motherboard risers are crappily designed, such that they can cause the motherboard to short out

2) the front intake fan prevents use of SATA hard disks

3) a large rivet on the back of the case prevents plugging any cables into any AGP graphics cards

4) the supplied AGP/PCI riser module doesn't work, and causes severe video corruption

Thanks
    Pros:
    1) I love the look of the case. Very sleek (I bought the silver version and you get an aluminium/steel fronting, none of this faux wood malarky...eugh )
    2) It's low profile should fit in under the TV nicely without drawing complaints
    3) Mine came bundled with a combo AGP+2xPCI riser unit - as long as you make sure of the motherboard layout spec you can get 2xPCI and 1x AGP/PCI-E (though as mentioned the PCI-E card is extra)
    4) The Media version is pricey but comes with a built in soundgraph iMon&VFD, and a lot of stuff is crammed into the small case (glad I didn't try the hipermedia one which is even smaller!!)

Cons:
    1) Cramming everything into the case was challenging at times. The DVD cage has some rather inaccessible screw-positions where if you drop the screw you spend 10 minutes trying to get it out from between the non-moveable drive cage and the case (bad designer, straight to bed with no desert!)
    2) Loads of wires to try and route neatly, meaning airflow could be troublesome (though my xp-m 2500 is running cooler than in my Antec case with it's new HSF
    3) again on the space front you need to make sure your HSF are low enough or you end up buying more...
    4) Soundgraph iMon is currently totally screwing up my pc - I think it's conflicting with my ati radeon drivers (cli.exe is dying a death) - random reboots etc. I've yet to spend proper debugging time with it though
    5) The AGP riser didn't work properly at first, but after re-seating it seems to be okay. Might try putting a bit of paper over the gfx card to prevent possible shorting...definitely no room for a graphics card with heatsinks under the card unless it's a PCI card or you're willing to mod the case.
    6) the DVD-cover button might not fit your DVD drive quite as well as it's supposed to...my Pioneer 111 button is permanently depressed with the cover on. I've not spent any time checking this out properly yet though.

Basically the Case looks the part and has a lot of functionality, but is rather tricky to build into neatly. I think that as far as compressed computers go it's probably quite good but it's expensive when you look at some of the design errors and missed-opportunities. I'm vaguely compiling a log of the build which should go online in a week or so fingers crossed I don't hit it with a hammer in that time. Definitely my most problematic build so far, but also my first in such a small case with risers...

Thanks
    2) the front intake fan prevents use of SATA hard disks
    Not so, you mount the hard drive up the other way, it fits fine.

1) Cramming everything into the case was challenging at times. The DVD cage has some rather inaccessible screw-positions where if you drop the screw you spend 10 minutes trying to get it out from between the non-moveable drive cage and the case
    That's the case with most compact units, it's one of the joys of building HTPC's, and if you think this case is bad for that, there's a heap more units that are miles worse!

6) the DVD-cover button might not fit your DVD drive quite as well as it's supposed to...my Pioneer 111 button is permanently depressed with the cover on. I've not spent any time checking this out properly yet though
    Remove the front panel again and install the screws in a different order, it should be fine if you get in back in the correct position - unless you've knocked the external button guide out of line.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBry
    That's the case with most compact units, it's one of the joys of building HTPC's, and if you think this case is bad for that, there's a heap more units that are miles worse!
    indeed which is why I said I was glad I didn't go for the hi(y?)permedia case that is only 5cm high! phew.
    Remove the front panel again and install the screws in a different order, it should be fine if you get in back in the correct position - unless you've knocked the external button guide out of line.
    You mean just install the hex bolts in a different order surely the front panel ends up in the same position anyway? ... I'll give it a go when I get back to my htpc next week... hopefully found a possible solution to my ATi driver issues ... either something to do with needing a .NET install I haven't got, or setting iMon to exclude cli.exe from, er, it's scanning ...

Thanks
    The front panel is a bit of a pain and getting it a tiny fraction out of line you get the problem you described. I can't remember which was the 'correct' way but try screwing the one bolt in (on the underside?) and then the 2 on the side (or is it the other way around, I haven't got a case here at the moment). If that doesn't work try it in the opposite order, if you get it right your DVD eject button will be perfect.

Thanks
    • frumpet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel (Apple Macbook)
      • CPU:
      • T7200 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
      • Memory:
      • 1.5Gb DDR2 667Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 80Gb + 180Gb combined USB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Integrated Intel
      • Case:
      • Macbook
      • Monitor(s):
      • 13.1" + 19" Hyundai N91W
    Thanks BigBry, jamena and directhex for your replies .

I would be aiming to use a motherboard with onboard GFX so some of the issues with fitting AGP / PCI-e cards could hopefully be avoided. This case does look the part (the silver one at least) and there isn't exactly the greatest range of reasonably priced, slim HTPC cases out there.

I'd be interested to know what cpu / cooler combinations you guys are running in the case?
    Last edited by frumpet; 25-05-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    I don't have one, I've built a few.

Usually a simple S939 3000+ or 3200+ AMD CPU with a stock AMD cooler. a decent motherboard bios will control the fan speed well.
    Last edited by BigBry; 26-05-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks
    XP-M 2500+ with a Zalman CNPS7000B hsf (might have spelt the zalman part number wrong...) on an ASRock k7s41 uATX motherboard (only half-decent reasonably-priced SoA uATX board I could find)

I'm using all 3 ports on the expansion card - Audigy2, aermedia DVB-t card, and a 9800pro AIW. The AIW needs a quieter cooler and the audigy card had a bolt that gets in the way of the card-holding mechanism (but a little bit of force and careful positioning of the nut works okay)

I have some sort of issue between the iMon and ATi drivers and the iMon VFD isn't functioning yet. I think I found a way around the conflict but can't do anything more to it until tuesday...

Thread Information