Thread: Abit Kv8-max3 S754

DR
    Thanks

Abit Kv8-max3 S754

ABIT's first stab at S754 glory is a decent enough attempt. We'd prefer a revised layout that makes installation easier and a newer BIOS that uses AMD's Cool'n'Quiet tech. to the fullest. Like ASUS, we'd like some form of control over the CPU's multiplier. The KV8-MAX3 isn't the perfect S754 board, but we feel that it has enough going for it to convince performance seekers over to the AMD 3xxx+ camp. It's extremely fast, stable with the correct DIMM population and boasts a refined BIOS and bundle. Perhaps a rev.2 board will iron out some of our more pressing concerns. MAX3 magic has been sprinkled on to the VIA K8T800 with encouraging results.

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD02NzA=

s3v
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Pure intel pwnage!
    Biostar M7NCD Pro ¦ AthlonXP 2400 @ 2.150Ghz ¦ Areocool Deep impact HSF ¦ 1Gig Dual DDR PC2700 ¦ PNY GF4 Ti4200 ¦ 120 + 80 Gig HDD ¦ Pioneer 16x Slot DVD ¦ NEC DVD+R 4x R/W ¦ Lian Li PC6 case ¦ 17" AG-neovo F17 TFT ¦ Herc GXTP ¦ 1Mb ADSL

Thanks

About the Big Zalman and the KV8-MAX3

I ran into the memory problem with Zalman 7000A series heatsinks, especially if you need two dimms running at ddr400, you must place them at slots 1 and 2 for the AMD controller. The solution? Just don't buy the pro series XMS memory from corsair for this board - It's too tall. I fortunately had access to some normal corsair XMS memory of the same speed (normal black or platinum fit just fine!!!) and made a quick trade. Now I don't know if there is any ram on the market that is as tall as the XMS pro ram with it's double size heatsink, but as long as your dimms are not of an incredible height like that you'll be fine. One recommendation for the squeamish: place your ram before mounting the heatsink. The motherboard has to be outside of the case anyway, and the heatsink mounting is simple and will not endanger your dimms. For everybody else, you can sneak the dimms in under the big zalman. It has a groove of sufficient size to sneak the rams underneath it's fins, and it has sufficient clearance from them that I am not at all concerned. As to the LED lights: sorry guys, no BLING BLING for you.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=drmeerkat]I ran into the memory problem with Zalman 7000A series heatsinks, especially if you need two dimms running at ddr400, you must place them at slots 1 and 2 for the AMD controller. The solution? Just don't buy the pro series XMS memory from corsair for this board - It's too tall.......QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip there

Thread Information