Thread: HEXUS.reviews :: Acronis True Image 10 Home Edition

Thanks

HEXUS.reviews :: Acronis True Image 10 Home Edition

It's hard to get into a good backup regime. So, any application that can make the whole charade a bit easier is most definitely welcome. In this review we give one such app. a prod and a poke.
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7409
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Splash
    Just been having a play with a trial this past couple of hours - looks like I might as well upgrade, as it does all I need now and I'm sure it will for the near future

EDIT - just decided to stick with corporate workstation 9 - the inability of 10 to mount a drive image as a drive in Windows is pretty key to me.
    Last edited by Splash; 29-12-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks
    really is awesome software

been using it for a few weeks now

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    Independant of this review, I had just purchased a copy which is £26 as quoted in the review, plus VAT (and Postage if you want the physical CD, which is also a ready made bootable recovery CD) so worked at at £34 in total.

I bought it not so much because I want a backup application, but rather because I wanted an Imaging application to save time in future doing fresh re-installs, and this seemed better that Ghost.

I want to install a fresh copy of XP, and update to the latest patches, plus install all the core stuff (e.g. Office 2003) that also need 'activating' and activate it. Run a Disk Defrag and there I have a new, fresh, efficient, activated ready to go XP install. This takes time and is a bit of a chore particularly setting all the base configs I want.

So now I want to take an image of the system at this 'freshly installed and activated' state, so I can quickly and easily revert to it at any time I want or need. I like to revert to a 'fresh install' every now and again (6 months or so) - as I find the system is faster.

If this works out I won't have all the usual pain and hassle everytime I do a 'fresh install' - I only need to do it once per physical system, and then re-image whenever I need to.
    Last edited by EtheAv8r; 29-12-2006 at 07:20 PM.
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Mike Fishcake
    We investigated this at work after using Ghost for ages, we only really need it for imaging HDDs, and we were all really impressed with the useability of it. We bought a few copies of it for someone we helped to set up a little "internet cafe" for, to re-load an image if someone screws it up and it's really easy for them to be able to do without needing massive amounts of techie knowledge.

There are loads of features in it we'd probably never use, but it is an outstanding piece of software, especially for the price.

Thanks
    It's great that it supports Vista already!

I had a quick look at the 94 page user manual from the acronis website and sorry in advance for asking a dumass question but here it is anyway.

If I want to transfer all my files as a result of upgrading to a larger hard disk, does XP (& Acronis True Image) need to be installed before the image can be recreated? or can you simply recreate your old hard disk by copying the image across? I know it only takes an hour to install XP but it seems a bit rubbish having to reinstall XP and then recreate from there. Maybe I'm just lazy

Thanks
    Stick the new hard disk in alongside the existing one. Choose clone disks in True Image... set it up how you want it (you'll want to make your partitions larger probably, to fit the bigger disk).

The computer will then reboot, spend a while cloning itself, then it'll tell you to turn the PC off, remove the old hard disk, set the new one as master/whatever/wherever, and turn it on again.

Voila.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    mofo, yes you can you do it

you can just boot from the cd (doesn't need to be installed on that pc) and do it

Thanks
    i've been using Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation for a good while now i. run 2x80gb raid 0 NF4, om it i have 3 os partitions XP SP2, Vista32 RC2 & Vista64 RC2. I run 4 scheduled jobs overnight making images of the 3 OAS partitions & A Documaents Partition (non Raid). Unlike Ghost which has never worked properly with raid it works out the baox flawlessly. Have tried disaster recovery by deleting my XPSP2 partition & resoring from image.... Perfect.

Can thorougly recommend

Willl soon see if it works as well on Intel

Thread Information