Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone4 or HTC Desire HD? Help.

Thanks

iPhone4 or HTC Desire HD? Help.

Guys what do you think?

My girlfriend used to use the 1st gen. iPhone. Then switched to the Blackberry 9700, and has been complaining about it dieing on her recently. I would like to buy her a new phone as a X'mas present. I will buy it for her in Asia and bring it back for her so it'll be unlocked.

I'm debating between the iPhone4 and the HTC Desire HD. I've checked the prices and they're relatively similar. If I get the 32gb iphone4 it'll be more costly, but price is not really an issue at the moment, but rather function.

I haven't had a chance to check out the Desire HD yet, but of course seen the iPhone 4 numerous times. For those who have had experiences with both please help share insights and let me know what should I go for.

She enjoyed apps on the original iPhone, so I was leaning with the iPhone4, however, for some reason I keep thinking the Desire HD would be a better phone? I'm getting the Desire HD for myself, but am not sure which one to get her...

Any advice would be appreciated
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB DDR2, 500GB SATA-II 7200RPM, nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512mb, BenQ E2200 HD, BenQ G2412HD, Logitech S510 Wireless set, Creative GigaWorks T3 Speakers.

Thanks
    • eyezpy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570K + Corsair H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5 Pro Extreme 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 560 Ti 384 DirectCU II TOP
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent Pro M 700W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT03 Titanium
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2420T / Dell U2412M

Re: iPhone4 or HTC Desire HD? Help.

I would like to say go for the HTC, but since its your girl friend she might like the iPhone 4 more.
    Performance wise I think they are the same. HTC would be more customisable but will she customise it.
    Also do you think she will find a phone with a 4.3 inch screen too big?

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

I would say either an iPhone or another BB. Unless she is up for learning a new way of doing things again.

I offered to buy my better half a new phone, and there was a couple of Android options, but in the end she went for new BB (she had one a year ago) and loves it because it does everything she wants to do very well, and it has a physical keyboard which she loves. Although, I do keep pointing out things she could be doing with any of the Android handsets had she gone for one of them, this annoys her

How about you ask her? To some people a phone is a very personal thing and just presenting her with one might not be the best strategy, even if it is an expensive present. My better half would have been happier with a £120 BB than a £400 Desire.

Thanks

Hmmm.... interesting thoughts... I believe she would be happier with the iPhone since she's already familiar with it. The only reason she enjoys blackberry is because of the push mail function. I remember apple had a problem with their mail app because it would just collectively put everything under one folder and wouldn't exactly specify which email it came from and what not, have they resolved that issue?

Btw, does anyone know if the android push mail (there is one right?) function works as good as the blackberry one? As I started this thread to learn more about android too. Im an existing iPhone user, current BB user. Really want to embark onto the Android stream.

What about windows 7? I hear mixed reviews. I haven't got the chance to see it, but I think the tile layout looks cheesy and lame. Can you change that or is it fixed?
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB DDR2, 500GB SATA-II 7200RPM, nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512mb, BenQ E2200 HD, BenQ G2412HD, Logitech S510 Wireless set, Creative GigaWorks T3 Speakers.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

You can't get push mail unless you have a push mail provider. BB do it if you have everything set up with an email address on a Blackberry server. I have my email through a hosted Exchange server, so my Desire syncs with that and it is push email. With a regular email provider, it isn't really push email, the device just checks email very frequently. Gmail on Android may be push, I'm not sure.

A BB won't connect directly to an Exchange server, an Android device will. So will Windows Mobile or Windows Phone. The iPhone also has am Exchange client now. I don't know about other email providers, but they should all be pretty simple to set up.

Years ago push email was expensive because you paid for data by the KB, so every background communication with you and the servers cost money. Now with permanent data connections on handsets it doesn't matter, you could have your phone check every 30 seconds and you wouldn't really know it wasn't push email, even though it is pulling it.

The layout of WP7 is fixed. They are discouraging OEMs from changing it as they want the interface between devices to be very similar so once you learn it you can use any handset.

Thanks

thanks for the detailed explanation

I guess I won't be getting a windows 7 phone. I would like to see the one in person though. Just curious.

Hmmmm. I guess I may still weigh in the iPhone4 for myself...

decisions decisions decision ahhhhh
    iPhone4, Desire Z, or Desire HD

I think I'll get iPhone4 for my gf.
    I could match her with an iPhone4 as well, she'd like the idea and I wouldn't mind. I just hate knowing that I'll hate myself for not buying the desire HD later on. I guess I'll find some time to test them out for a good 30 minutes at the store before making my final decison

Thanks

Your GF = iPhone4.

You = HTC Desire HD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usxhe190 View Post
    Your GF = iPhone4.

You = HTC Desire HD.
    I started noticing that in some countries the iPhone4 is going out of stock... does this mean that Apple may come out with a new version? I would want to hold off on the purchase if so... There could be reasons for a new release, as they never released the white version, and have actually taken off their website... and biggest reason is for them to fix the silly antenna problem once and for all.

ANyone else think or have knowledge about this?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I would get the Orange San Francisco as you can flash the firmware to remove any branding AFAIK. The phone is basically the same as the ZTE Blade.

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_hat View Post
    I started noticing that in some countries the iPhone4 is going out of stock... does this mean that Apple may come out with a new version? I would want to hold off on the purchase if so... There could be reasons for a new release, as they never released the white version, and have actually taken off their website... and biggest reason is for them to fix the silly antenna problem once and for all.

Anyone else think or have knowledge about this?
    Yes, a new model number, same look iphone 4 was due to be ready for Apple in September, but actually it is supposed to be being shipped come December. Apple will pretty much deny it but essentially it helps fix the signal issues and various other things... Supposed to tie in with the white iPhone 4 launch, but manufacturing process issues has delayed and delayed this.

However, the iP4 is a show offs play thing, not a proper smart phone, If you really want to sell your soul to Apple then go for it, but Android is the path of choice for most people who actually know the differences and are prepared to RTFM with Android and not just moan that it isn't as simple as the pathetically limited iOS platform...

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

11. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (13-11-2010),j.o.s.h.1408 (16-11-2010)

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Quote Originally Posted by Bunjiweb View Post
    However, the iP4 is a show offs play thing, not a proper smart phone, If you really want to sell your soul to Apple then go for it, but Android is the path of choice for most people who actually know the differences and are prepared to RTFM with Android and not just moan that it isn't as simple as the pathetically limited iOS platform...
    That's a bit harsh... You know you can jailbreak an iphone and get most of the forbidden stuff on a iphone too... you can even dual boot it with android if you want (although it's not very stable yet)

Thanks

I'd love to swap my Desire for an iPhone 4... I use my phone for music, web browsing, basic email and games, for me the iPhone wins out over Android for what I want (music and games mostly)

I'm thinking of selling this and going back to Apple soon, I don't want to but I'm really unimpressed by Android even with the customization available... so in answer to the OP, go with the iPhone and buy me one while you're over there!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The iPhone4 has been riddled with problems and is way overpriced for what it is TBH. For the price you pay directly or indirectly for an iPhone4 is should be perfect and the cost cutting measures Apple implemented were just pathetic. With dual core smartphones coming out next year spending hundreds of quid on an iPhone4 is a bit of a waste. On top of this the iPhone5 maybe released in the next few months.

Having said that with the Orange San Francisco having a 600MHZ CPU,512MB of RAM and an 800X480 OLED screen for around £100 on PAYG it does make many smartphones look overpriced IMHO.

TBH,the markup on many of these smartphones must be enormous and whether you buy them on PAYG or contract you are paying a lot of money.

If you want e-mail very few phones can beat the functionality that a Blackberry has and TBH if you want decent sound quality it would probably be better to invest in a dedicated MP3 player.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 13-11-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The iPhone4 has been riddled with problems and is way overpriced for what it is TBH. For the price you pay directly or indirectly for an iPhone4 is should be perfect and the cost cutting measures Apple implemented were just pathetic. With dual core smartphones coming out next year spending hundreds of quid on an iPhone4 is a bit of a waste. On top of this the iPhone5 maybe released in the next few months.

Having said that with the Orange San Francisco having a 600MHZ CPU,512MB of RAM and an 800X480 OLED screen for around £100 on PAYG it does make many smartphones look overpriced IMHO.

TBH,the markup on many of these smartphones must be enormous and whether you buy them on PAYG or contract you are paying a lot of money.

If you want e-mail very few phones can beat the functionality that a Blackberry has and TBH if you want decent sound quality it would probably be better to invest in a dedicated MP3 player.
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_hat View Post
    ...I'm debating between the iPhone4 and the HTC Desire HD. I've checked the prices and they're relatively similar. If I get the 32gb iphone4 it'll be more costly, but price is not really an issue at the moment, but rather function.
    )
    I'd love to be able to buy an iPhone 4 outright but currently it isn't going to happen! Some lucky poeple can

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    I'd love to be able to buy an iPhone 4 outright but currently it isn't going to happen! Some lucky poeple can
    Don't get me wrong my friend... I am nothing myself

Unfortunately the only reason I stated that "money is not an issue" is because this is a birthday + X'mas present for the lady.... can't put a price on happiness right? But it sure can make me miserable hahahaha jk.

BTW, guys I just had a chance to check out the Desire HD in the store... I got to say... I know that it had a huge screen, but when I actually held it in my palm I was quite overwhelmed, and I put it into my pocket just to see how it'd feel.... way too big... I think I'm going to stick with the iPhone size-ish phones.... so I understand many users are debating between iPhone and Android.

I have one question, since I enjoy pushmail which seems to only be available on BlackBerry's enterprise network systems... But i refuse to go back to them cause I think except for pushmail their OS and functions just suck, they're so behind... Anyway, So what's better for pushmail to GMail. I heard that Android being Google based would be better. Is that really true?

+ I am considering the Desire Z... has anyone purchased that before? I heard of keyboard spring issues? And does the 800mhz processor make a big difference from a snapdragon or the A4 (1ghz) on iphone?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the HD size of phone is almost dependant on you been a certain height or something. I'm 6"4, so with my 36 inch trousers I have plenty of pocket space. What is more important is the depth of it.

Of course it is very individual, but for girls who keep in hand bags mostly its different yet again!

For the DesireZ? No they are dog slow, with sod all battery life. A mate actually returned his within the cooling off period it was most shoddy imho.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information