• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Re: OnePlus 3

Quote Originally Posted by Ulti View Post
    Wow, you've really kitted out on the accessories side of things!

Just installing the OxygenOS 3.2.2 update now. Hopefully it'll help a bit with the battery life but I think my main drainer is Pokemon Go at the moment!

Got to say the Dash charge never ceases to amaze me though!
    Yeah, i wouldn't normally, just a couple of cases is usual but work was paying so I thought why not.

Let us know how you get on with 3.2.2, can't update mine atm as I'm away.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

For the One Plus X I used to keep it in a smart sock style case which protected it well enough and kept it looking shiny every time I got it out to use it, then I was bought the rosewood case which is lovely too - thin, nice to hold and absolutely gorgeous - I've had even more enquiries about the phone since getting it. Only problem is it doesn't protect the ends of the phone quite as well and it's begun to get a little marked up (not that I really care).

Thanks

OP3 is a great device and I am planning to buy one. the bad news is that you have to wait at least one month to physically get one.

Thanks

I think this phone is definitely worth the price, £309 is definitely worth it considering the specs you will have, 6gb of RAM in a phone for only £309. Don't get swayed away by the extra £10 because it is worth it. Think about it when the Nexus 5 came out the price point of £300 was considered worth it and look at the specs compared to the OP 3, it only had 2gb of ram. The CPU in the thing is really high performing too.

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    Yeah, i wouldn't normally, just a couple of cases is usual but work was paying so I thought why not.

Let us know how you get on with 3.2.2, can't update mine atm as I'm away.
    Unfortunately I dropped my phone as a result of an accident/me being unaware of surroundings but coincidentally that was just after I upgraded to 3.2.2 and one of them caused my GPS/WiFi connect time to get a bit worse. I did see people complain about the GPS issues since 3.2.2 so I would be more inclined to blame the software. It did help with the fingerprint sensor being accidentally tapped whilst not meaning to tap it though which helps battery life a bit.

Since then I have jumped over to the community build (3.5.1) which has made the GPS a lot better, probably almost as good as how it was originally. However it does bring along a few bugs and things that I don't like such as the theme accent colours being really dull and no way of turning off volume after increasing it without putting it on silent (sometimes restarting it seems to work). Other than that I haven't noticed much else as I don't really use the phone too much out of the ordinary.

I have yet to have the phone crash on me though and I've owned the phone for 2 months plus now. I have even rooted the phone plus have TWRP and a customer launcher and notification bar so I'm surprised that it has not crashed once as I've heard rather bad things about the software but it's been fine for me.

I did however come across a great deal for the Samsung S7 Edge and hopped on it. It was much nicer to hold (not sure why but I get on better with flat backed phones as opposed to curved backs) but I did not like the physical home button at all so I returned it and stuck with the OP3, even though the battery and screen did seem nicer on the Samsung S7 Edge but the OP3's home button just won it for me. I'm far too used to capacitive buttons.

I've gotten quite a few accessories for my OP3 but I guess the one I owe a review for is dbrand. I reached out to them and they sent out some samples for me to test and review so yes this review is a free sample but this is completely my honest and unbiased opinion. I am not in any way getting paid or sponsored to do this other than receiving the skins for free.

Warning! Image heavy!

Received all the way from Canada:

Took a while for it to post out (I had been in touch for around a month or two to get these). Would be interesting to see how long they normally take as an order.

Opened it up:

Got to say, these looked very professional in the way they were packed, I had never read or watched a review of these before other than see them on phones on YouTube channels so it was a surprise to me.

dbrand were way too generous though, I only asked for one skin and they sent me 4! I told them I'd either be happy with the black leather or black carbon fibre with a white logo but didn't mind which I'd receive and that they could surprise me if they wanted. I did not intend for them to send me a black leather AND black carbon fibre AND a white carbon fibre AND a surprise one (stone concrete). Thank you dbrand!

I decided to try out the stone concrete one first as it seemed the most interesting:

I watched the clip on how to apply it here: https://dbrand.com/skins/how-to-apply/oneplus-3

Seemed logical enough, stick down parts of it and apply heat. Wanted to test out how well it'd hold up in more heat and I haven't noticed any peeling or shifting whilst letting it run with Pokemon Go in my pocket whilst I walk in the sun even though the device gets a bit hot.

I didn't take any WIP shots but it did take around 20 mins for me to install the skin. I went straight for the full body one as I wanted a seamless look. The texture of the skin is rather nice and does feel rough like what you'd expect from a rock like texture although on the other hand it is still a skin at the end of the day so it is still somewhat smooth. I was hoping it'd add more grip but I guess the curved back just doesn't sit well in my hand unlike the flat backed Xiaomi Mi Note and Samsung S7 Edge that I have.

As you can see from the photo they do send quite a few bits along with it. I'm afraid I'm not really a fan of the front stickers so I did not try it. They seem to provide the following in each full set (or at least for me):

- 1x Front
    - 2x Back (One full coverage and one partial coverage)
    - 3x Upper/Lower (Two full coverage and one partial coverage)
    - 4x Camera
    - 8x Logo

I think it turned out pretty well for my first try. I'm actually surprised at how well it fit.

I didn't apply the camera piece or logo either as I felt like that would be too much. I like the clean silver logo shining through the skin.

It's a shame the skin doesn't wrap around the buttons completely, I would have loved that!

Got to say their precision fit is on point! Perfect cuts all round. I did push a bit too hard to try close the gap however with my nail which left a little dimple on the skin. Didn't try heating it further to try remove it but it probably would have.

Final photo. Pretty happy with how I almost managed to get a completely seamless look, will try harder on the next skin!

I put this skin on last weekend and although I haven't gone through a whole lot, I did go to work as normal and go out in my tighter jeans and not once have I noticed fluff or dust being stuck to the skin or the skin peeling. I did take their advice and rub it down with the provided microfiber clothes though which probably helped quite a bit. I think I'll go another week with this skin before I go straight for the black carbon fibre as I think that's going to be my favourite.

The next time however I will try the partial coverages to see how that goes.
    Last edited by Ulti; 09-09-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Thanks for that, I'm now on 3.2.4 and I don't think it's as good as 3.2.2 which was rock solid for me so was interested in your community rom review.

PS I also use a custom launcher (Nova Launcher) and never had any issues. As for Samsung I'm also in the market for an S7 as it has everything i want in a phone hardware & feature wise (except Touch wiz) but agree about the home button however I have an S6 so think I can live with it.

As for dBrand skins I'm a long time user and to be honest I can't fault them, the fit & finish is superb. Just take your time applying them and use a hair dryer on any difficult curves.
    Last edited by jimborae; 09-09-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550I Gaming Edge
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 32GB HyperX 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 1920GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • SSUPD Meshlicious
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 150Mb

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    Thanks for that, I'm now on 3.2.4 and I don't think it's as good as 3.2.2 which was rock solid for me so was interested in your community rom review.

PS I also use a custom launcher (Nova Launcher) and never had any issues. As for Samsung I'm also in the market for an S7 as it has everything i want in a phone hardware & feature wise (except Touch wiz) but agree about the home button however I have an S6 so think I can live with it.

As for dBrand skins I'm a long time user and to be honest I can't fault them, the fit & finish is superb. Just take your time applying them and use a hair dryer on any difficult curves.
    Yeah I heard that 3.2.4 had GPS issues still so I thought I may as well jump all the way to the community ROM but unless you have GPS issues I don't think it's worth it. Battery life seems no better than 3.2.2 other than some slightly nicer looking UI (well other than the combination of notifications along with quick toggles and the power menu I haven't noticed much else from memory!)

Yes I didn't like the look of Touch Wiz either even though it is much better now compared to a few years back. I suppose I could flash a custom ROM but even then I'm just too used to capacitive home buttons.

I can agree there, time and a hair dryer is a must to get the dbrand skins on perfectly.

I did try to make my own for the Xiaomi Mi Note (dbrand why don't you make skins for Xiaomi!?) and whilst I cut it pretty close and it fit and looked good at the beginning, after time it oddly started shrinking.

I'm waiting to see what the 2nd gen Xiaomi Mi Note will bring. I do really like the Samsung Note 7 but price followed by the home button and Touch Wiz put me right off. There is nothing inherently wrong with the OnePlus 3 but I just want a phone that's nicer to hold in my hand (I think the majority actually prefer curved back phones but out of the curved back and flat back phones I've owned I definitely prefer flat backed phones) with a more iOS looking ROM without flashing a ROM onto the phone. I'm probably in the minority here for not liking stock android too!

Thread Information