Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Home Server Chit Chat

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Home Server Chit Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Yep - for a decent guide as to how to do this you could do worse than take a look at http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/...rage-for-esxi/ - it's actually pretty easy (especially if you only have to pesent a single volume which is hardware RAID protected). The pointer file will say that it's the same size as the raw LUN that it points to, but it only actually takes up a few kb on your vmfs datastore.

As for your red light issue: not sure what else to suggest, as I only have an N36l and an N40l and neither of them exhibit this behaviour - if it's just cosmetic I'd not worry too much about it.
    Yh, thanks for the reply again. I'd seen another website with a guide for RDM that had quoted him before although it didn't mention passing an array thus my original question. Now to pick out the best looking P410 (512mb with BBWC) on ebay and hopefully get it all set up reasonably soon. Probably better grabbing the downloads before hand just in case, but damn does HP's site confuse the hell out of me compared to other manufacturers.

As long as I don't experience any other issues with the server Im sure I can cope with a red light for a couple of seconds at boot before its all setup and running 24/7 anyway. Although at one stage the BIOS options, time and date atleast, had reset although I cannot remember if that was after the BIOS was updated or not.

Splash

As far as ESXi is concerned so long as it's a supported controller (and I'm pretty sure the P410 is, but maybe check the HCL before splashing the cash) then each LUN you present is just another block device, it doesn't care (or in fact know, without the controller APIs) that it's a RAID array.

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Be-Quiet Dark Pro 900 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 22" and 1 x Dell U2913WM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

I have a 24 bay server from ebay (US). Cost $199 to buy and close to $400 to ship but its a dual 6 core opteron system that I upgraded to 24Gb of memory. I currently have unraid installed across 22 disks (1 x 2Tb Cache drive, 1 x 2Tb parity drive and then 20 data drives), giving me about 22Tb of storage. The server is running Sab, sickbeard, plex, cache_dirs (for quick file listings) and crashplan server.

Its a little loud and runs at around 150w idle but that said, even transcoding on plex barely touches the available power. Cheaper than any other option of getting 20Tb storage though and the system does support 3Tb drives so I have the option of upgrading the disks to a total of 66Tb (as the latest update increased the number of available data drives)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1stRaven View Post
    I have a 24 bay server from ebay (US). Cost $199 to buy and close to $400 to ship but its a dual 6 core opteron system that I upgraded to 24Gb of memory. I currently have unraid installed across 22 disks (1 x 2Tb Cache drive, 1 x 2Tb parity drive and then 20 data drives), giving me about 22Tb of storage. The server is running Sab, sickbeard, plex, cache_dirs (for quick file listings) and crashplan server.

Its a little loud and runs at around 150w idle but that said, even transcoding on plex barely touches the available power. Cheaper than any other option of getting 20Tb storage though and the system does support 3Tb drives so I have the option of upgrading the disks to a total of 66Tb (as the latest update increased the number of available data drives)
    Wow.

Registered+
    Thanks

Have been running with a nicroserver for about a year now but find esxi is too slow if you want more than one we windows PC. Looking to upgrade to a Xeon e3.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by philipmathews View Post
    Have been running with a nicroserver for about a year now but find esxi is too slow if you want more than one we windows PC. Looking to upgrade to a Xeon e3.
    I've 2 DCs (one 2008R2 with 3Gb RAM, one 2012 with 2Gb RAM) and vCenter (2008R2 with 6Gb RAM) running on my N54L which is essentially my management server and performance is generally fine. There's a couple of extra VMs on that box, but they're powered down unless specifically needed.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by 1stRaven View Post

I bet THAT was a pleasure to sit next too in June and July when it was near 30'C outside

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information