Thread: Win7 drivers for Sony Vaio model VGN-FJ3S

Thanks

Cool Win7 drivers for Sony Vaio model VGN-FJ3S

Hi Folks,
    Please can someone help with the following:
    Got a Sony Vaio that was running an old XP Home system but it would not recognise an internet Dongle.
    Upgraded it to Win7 Home Premium and it recognised the Dongle OK now but many of the drivers are out of date.
    I've managed to find some on various Sony sites but I can't find the sound driver for the RealTek card and the WiFi card no longer works, and the graphics driver is slow.
    So, my question is this, does anyone have a Vaio working on Win7 so I could please have a copy of those drivers?
    Regards.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Win7 drivers for Sony Vaio model VGN-FJ3S

Hmmmm, I'd have to check the model number but I know a lot of old Vaios really don't support Win 7 well at all. I've got one I'm refurbing for a friend that you can't even install Win 7 on because there is no Win 7 driver for the SATA chipset.

According to the specs for that laptop it's got standard Intel Centrino technology, so I'm suprised you can't just find drivers through Windows update - I take you've tried the "search Windows Update" option when trying to install new drivers?

A quick search suggests you want audio drivers from here: http://www.realtek.cz/realtek-downlo...LC260&system=6 (I've downloaded and checked it with McAfee enterprise - it appears to be legit!) The top driver will do the job, just watch out for the annoying adverts that try to con you into downloading other nonsense - just click the link from the first page then wait a minute and the download will start. As to WiFi, I'd be very inclined to try updating the driver while online and searching Win Update for it. Be prepared for issues though, I've rarely had an OS update on a Vaio go smoothly

As to the Graphics, what do you mean by them being slow? It's only an Intel 915 chipset, so the graphics *will* be slow!

Thanks

Hi scaryjim,
    Thanks for your interest and your quick reply.
    I'm refurbing this Vaio for my bro-in-law who is a computer newbie.
    He doesn't have broadband so I got him a Dongle which was supposed to work on XP (the Vaio had XP Home originally but hadn't been used for about 4 years) but it wouldn't recognise it.
    Updating XP and trying all the old tricks was no good so I wiped the sys disc and clean installed Win7.
    Picked up the Dongle immediately but Device Manager showed the old Yellow Exclamations next to the Video adapter, the audio adapter and the wifi adapter.
    The video and audio both say "No driver is installed" and I've tried using Win Update and trying to go into Dev Mgr and say uninstall followed by update driver, search the web etc but to no avail.
    I did get a Realtek driver from the Realtek website which said it was for Win 7 but not specifically for this model (a VGN-FJ3S) it started to install ok but at about 95% it crashed windows and Win 7 restarted itself and said thanks but no thanks.
    The WiFi driver is strange because Dev Mgr says "This device is working properly" even though it clearly ain't!
    What I'm really hoping to find is someone with a Sony Vaio running Win7 (with the same h/w) so I can grab a copy of their drivers.
    Regards.

Thanks
    • tfboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX)
      • Storage:
      • Force MP600 1TB PCIe SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM 650W
      • Case:
      • CM Silencio 550
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w + Dell 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • VM 350Mb

Are you using W7 64bit or 32bit? If the latter, have you tried the Intel Vista graphics driver from Sony's support site http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con..._2641/VGN-FJ3S ?

Thanks

Cool Re: Win7 drivers for Sony Vaio model VGN-FJ3S

Hi Thanks for your post.
    I should have posted earlier as all the driver issues are now resolved and yes, as you suggested I used the Vista graphics drivers and they all worked ok. Most of the other Vista drivers, sound and graphics accelerator also worked. I think the WiFi driver was the only one that didn't work but I eventually got it installed by using "compatibility mode" and installing it as an XP driver.
    Thanks again.

Thread Information