• Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX 765M
      • Case:
      • PC Specailist Laptop
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Clean installs for friends

Hi all

I had a discussion with a friend (yes I do have one) about what essential software that would go on a friends PC if you have just done a clean install for them. To me he was putting on unnecessary software, but software he uses, not what other people might want/need. So I'm wondering what would you install before handing back a PC to a friend? Obviously Windows fully patched and drivers up to date.

I would

Adobe Flash
    Adobe Air
    Adobe Shockwave
    Java
    Nitro PDF reader (I explain its just like Adobe reader)
    Their choice of internet security, or at least free one if they don't want to pay.
    Also I ask if they want Chrome or Firefox adding if they know they are. (Shock my Dad does like Chrome)

I also offer to install and patch any software they want/use. Most want Office for free so that is a no. Others like the printer setup so I do that when I drop it off. Anything else to up to them unless they have really good cookies to go with the coffee.

Interest to hear what you would use/install

Alex

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Re: Clean installs for friends

All the adobe needless with modern browsers. I think.

Internet security is overrated. Will not help them 'not to press that button' but if you must, 360 Security or Malwarebytes are rather good. Backed up with Junkware tool.

Any browser over IE is a must! Would say VLC and TeamViewer for 'run only' are very handy also. Don't install TeamViewer, just write a small manual about how to run Team viewer in 'run only' mode. Worked for my 'clients'.

Open Office is a alternative most are willing to try. To save money, of course.

My big helper is also SlimDrivers, in 95% of cases does a bang on job.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

It depends on the "friend". And there's no one-size-fits-all, as far as I'm concerned.

So, stage one, Windows, patched.

Stage two, basic security. Firewall, AV software and anti-malware. If the want paid-for, they need to provide it. If not, they can stipulate their preference. BUT .... it depends on who is going to be "supporting" it. There have been packages I will not install if they think they're coming to me with problems. So, if they want those, don't bring it back to me for help.

Then, stage three, browser. What I'd use depends on who, but maybe Firefox, Pale Moon, Opera, if they have a preference. If they want Chrome, they can do it themselves, and I won't install a browser (beyond IE).

Stage four, any legit software they need, if they provide it.

But stage four, and even perhaps stage 3, is dependent on what sort of "friend".

There are people I'm just not interested in doing this for, mainly those that have taken liberties in the past. There are those for whom I'll do whatever I can, almost without limit. Then, there are those on a spectrum in-between.

For all but the very few for whom I'll really go out on a limb, once I get to a 'stable' state, which WILL be discussed and agreed in advance, I do a disk image and, if they come back a few weeks/months later, I restore to that disk image if whatever the ptoblem is can't be resolved pretty quickly. What I'm not doing is setting myself up for expectations of free and unlimited consultancy and support services for the rest of eternity. Because, and this is what I meant by 'take liberties', there are those that think because you did them a favour and built/configured their machine (for free), you owe them a duty to sort out any and all problems. I don't even owe that to paying customers.

So I make clear, in writing, what's been agreed in terms of installed software, and that beyond restoring to that stable state, any extra effort is entirely dependent on my available time, and the nature of the problem. Why do I take that line? Because after you've had a "friend" bring you back a barely functioning seething mass of viruses for the fourth or fifth time, because they WON'T heed your warnings about watching what they install and where they get it from, or they won't control their kids, you run out of patience and goodwill.

So while I may or may not exercise it, I do definitely reserve the right to simply format and restore an image. Which is why I also advise on backups, suggest backup products and warn of the data losses involved in format and image restore. Most people tend to only ignore that backup advice and warnings once.

Oh, and when "friends" get too demanding, just because they know I have the background and expertise, I tend to advise them of my hourly rates, or suggest a barter for whatever skills they may have, like servicing cars, installing boilers, etc. Because usually, when I point out they they expect to charge me if they service my car, but expect me to spend numerous hours fixing their PC, the message tends to sink in.

As I said, there are friends and friends. Some, I'll do all I can. But those I only see when they want/need something .... not so much.

And I avoid the unlimited ongoing support expectations by dealing with that, up-front, in advance and in writing, even for "free" work, because experience taught me that if you don't, they'll likely have a convenient memory lapse about advise and warnings, later on, when problems arise.

Doing such favours for "friends", and sometimes even family, can be opening a can of worms. I've not had that with family, but I know people that have, and it can lead to real trouble, resentment and problems.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Other than any drivers you know of and updates from windows;

1. Firefox (ghostery, and some ad flash block plugins installed)
    2. VLC
    3. Malwarebytes (free)

Then give it back to them. Let them install the rest.

Banned
    Thanks

I'll add in...

http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

Sumatrapdf is the most lightweight pdf reader I could find for windows. Also appears to be the fastest!

Thread Information