Thread: New webmail provider wanted

Thanks

New webmail provider wanted

Considering giving up on Lycos mail since they cut their free allowance to 500mb, but have tried various other free webmails in the past & never really found one that suits me as well (alternatively I can pay the Lycos upgrade which isn't much, but anyway):

just wondered if anyone knows a free email provider that uses the same interface as Lycos - see pic - it's (c) Roundcube & seems to turn up elsewhere only in relation to business webmail, run on your own server, etc, which isn't what I'm after.

Last edited by sammyc; 27-09-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New webmail provider wanted, specific question (not just recommend me one &c)

I know of a couple of paid providers that use Roundcube, they also offer Horde and Swuirrel mail as well.

These are just interfaces to a standard pop or imap mailbox, and are often associated with CPanel - which is a domain management tool.

That will give you the clue - the services I refer to are domain hostess, so if you have a domain registered to you, or want to use them to provide and host a domain, they offer mail and/or other hosting packages as well. The cost for a domain varies, but can be picked up for around £10 per year - the actual cost depends on the top level domain you use (.net, .org, .co.uk, ..... etc)

The hosting package also varies in cost £40/pa to £50/pa is typical.

I have no doubt that others will cite other cheaper examples.

I have use netscanuk, ukwebsolutionsdirect for both registration and hosting, and 123 reg for registration. Registering with one organisation does not stop you from hosting with another - I have domains registered with 123, but hosted by ukwebsolutionsdirect for example.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Re: New webmail provider wanted, specific question (not just recommend me one &c)

Really only looking for a straight free webmail swap for Lycos though; probably could have clarified my post (& have now, hopefully), thanks. Have no need/desire to get into anything more than that.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

FWIW, RoundCube will connect to any IMAP service. Back in the day you used to get a little bit of web-space and an email address with your ISP. Combine these and a free email alias and you've got your own solution.

But good shout on RoundCube, I've been looking to move to something fancier than SquirrelMail, and this looks like it's worth a look.

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

I didn't even realise that Lycos still existed!

Thanks

VFEMail offers roundcube and a free account, but only with ads and an even small allowance.

Although they do offer an upgrade with a one-off cost which gets rid of the ads and bumps up the space to 1GB.

https://vfemail.net/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    FWIW, RoundCube will connect to any IMAP service. Back in the day you used to get a little bit of web-space and an email address with your ISP. Combine these and a free email alias and you've got your own solution.

But good shout on RoundCube, I've been looking to move to something fancier than SquirrelMail, and this looks like it's worth a look.
    More bells & whistles than I'm after, but if it turns out to suit you, glad to help (indirectly)
    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    I didn't even realise that Lycos still existed!
    Haha, well you probably haven't need to know (or cared) I expect. Lycos UK iirc went. Have had an a/c with .com for many years & never found reason to move. Tbh it isn't the prospect of paying I object to, it would probably have its plus points (POP/IMAP for a start; I currently don't back up my emails, I know, I know, one day I'll be sorry) but I took against the fact they did a sudden 'pay or we slash your allowance' which saw me bailing out 100s of emails against a time limit, something I could have done without.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    VFEMail offers roundcube and a free account, but only with ads and an even small allowance.

Although they do offer an upgrade with a one-off cost which gets rid of the ads and bumps up the space to 1GB.

https://vfemail.net/
    Worth a thought; although I wouldn't mind a higher than 1GB allowance, it would be a cheaper halfway house than paying yearly for Lycos.. above 1GB it would be worse (Lycos will do you 5GB for $20-ish pa).

Thanks

Re: New webmail provider wanted [updated: Lycos help]

Having decided for now to start a new Lycos account, I have run up against a non-functioning sign up php page that will not let me past the 'enter mobile number for a PIN' stage.

Aside of the fundamental objection to things not letting you sign up without a mobile number, I'm just here to clutch at straws in case there's a reason I'm missing why I might not be able to get beyond this page, which just sits at 'Sending request, please waiting..' forever. Tried different browsers etc.

I've submitted a support ticket but not holding my breath there for a speedy reply & I could really do with getting on with this, so as I say, straw clutching.

https://registration.lycos.com/regis...m/landing.html

So basically had an email back and yes they are having 'issues' with their signup process and have escalated the matter to whoever blah blah [so no one single person has been able to sign up to Lycos in that time & for however long before..? hmm]

vs;sdr sorted, insofar as will give up & go elsewhere.
    Last edited by sammyc; 27-09-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Thread Information