Thread: help needed building a c++ project

Thanks

help needed building a c++ project

Hi All

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem i have. As part of my 3rd year project i'm developing a c++ project that was originally developed by someone else. The problem is i think it was developed on an older version of visual studio, and when i come to compile it now on visual studio 2005 i get the following errors, and i was wondering if someone could help me sort it out.

1>------ Skipped Build: Project: ALifeControls, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
    2>------ Build started: Project: OpenGL, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    2>Linking...
    2>stdafx.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ" (?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ)
    2>AssemblyInfo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ" (?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ)
    2>AssemblyInfo.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ" (?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ)
    2>OpenGLControl.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ" (?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ)
    2>OpenGLControl.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ" (?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ)
    2>C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\Debug\OpenGL.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
    2>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\OpenGL\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    2>OpenGL - 6 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    3>------ Build started: Project: ALife, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    3>Compiling...
    3>stdafx.cpp
    3>.\stdafx.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3> 'The system cannot find the file specified.'
    3>Resources.cpp
    3>.\Resources.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>Prey.cpp
    3>.\Prey.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>Predator.cpp
    3>.\Predator.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>Options.cpp
    3>.\Options.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>Main.cpp
    3>.\Main.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>GeneInfo.cpp
    3>.\GeneInfo.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>Entity.cpp
    3>.\Entity.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>Config.cpp
    3>.\Config.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>AssemblyInfo.cpp
    3>.\AssemblyInfo.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>Animal.cpp
    3>.\Animal.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    3>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    3>ALife - 11 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========
    One of the problems is i know very little about c++ or visual studio, i'm new to it this year, but i do know c well, so i was hoping i could pick c++ up fairly quickly, but to start with i'd like to get the project building.

So to round up i was hoping someone could give some instruction on how to get this project building, also if anyone knows of any good c++ books, i'd be very greatful, preferably something a bit like a reference book, just saying what things do.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks
    Hi Kasavian,

I'm not an expert, but I think the problems are probably not with the C++ itself, but with the project and solution files for visual studio. Specifically it looks like looks like you've got a broken reference to a dll.
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler log
    3>stdafx.cpp
    3>.\stdafx.cpp : fatal error C1192: #using failed on 'c:\Documents and Settings\Andrew Marwood\My Documents\Computer Science\Part C\Part C Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\opengl.dll'
    Either in solution explorer in Vis Studio you need to edit the references, or you can edit the project file directly. First I'd try browsing to "Project\Artificial Life Simulation\ALife\debug\" and checking that the opengl.dll exists. If it doesn't, find out where it is. Either move it to where the compiler is looking, or edit the reference to it in solution explorer so that the compiler looks for the dll in the correct place.

If that doesn't make any sense, ask and I try an explain it better. In the meantime, try and find a book or website devoted to C++ in visual studio, or even just on visual studio, as I think that's where your current problem lies.

Cheers - Andrew.
    They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them.

Thanks
    your going to struggle developing a c++ program if this is as far as your debugging can take you. (thats not meant in a rude way)

You're C skills should be able to help you with most of these errors to then focus on the real problems.

3>Resources.cpp
    As mentioned above is complaining that there are files missing - this should be simple to resolve.

2>stdafx.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ" (?.cctor@@$$FYMXXZ)
    This means the library it is linking against is referencing something that didn't exist/incompatible. (basic summary)

I have not used Visual studio of 8 years but I'm reasonably confident that these are the the root of your problem, fix the paths or the missing libraries then start to work out which libraries are giving unresolved symbols. You could be right that this problem is caused by a version issue.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    Ikonia you're right i am going to struggle, i do pick things up fairly quickly though , so hopefully i won't be struggling for long

I resolved the issue (again google is your friend) the problem occured because it couldn't link the files built for the opengl project, so it wasn't making the opengl.dll needed for part 3 of the build, or at least this is how i understand it. The resolution for this was in project properties -> configuration properties-> c/c++ -> command line, and i needed to remove /Zl in additional options. Anyway this worked, not that i really understand why

If anyone can recommend any c++ books, maybe relating to artificial life then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Andy

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable
    try to start a new project, and c+p the code across, I know I had a HUGE problem converting from the university standard 2002 to my 2005 (I have actually gone back to 2002 however for ease of transferring work)

talk about stupid....there are 3 different versions in one university building....and guess what, none of them are compatable with the others!!!

As for books, my course bible is
    "programming and problem solving eith C++" by dale, weems and headington, should be bout £5 on amazon marketplaces for the 3rd edition, great reference material there

for AI......I couldnt really help you (im a lowly first year computer game software engineering student lol, dont do AI for another year or 3)
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks
    There are lots of recommended books, it depends on what you like. Eckel has the style of Java with very easy explanations. Stroustrop's work is very difficult to understand, but it teaches you the absolute essentials. Other authors tend to have a different approach usually from the ground up. You'll probably need two books, one to teach you from the ground up (if you don't already know how to code) and another which really teaches you C++.

Thread Information