Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Force SSD's Have Brackets As Standard? Plus Do You Format SSD's or What? SSD Noob!

Thanks
    • Macadee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Haswell 4770K @ 4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Samsung Green @ 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 520 120GB, Samsung 840 250GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Tri-Fire 7990 / 7970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1300-G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-75
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • VM

Re: Force SSD's Have Brackets As Standard? Plus Do You Format SSD's or What? SSD Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@W View Post
    All the SSDs I've seen pictured, appear to have 2 threaded holes on each side, as if the default mounting is for fitting in a 3.5 inch bracket. The case I've bought has 4 mounting holes flat on its floor (the PSU is fitted ahead, in the front of the case), for 2.5 inch drives. Can anyone tell me if their SSD has mounting screws on the flat underside of the drive? The Samsung Pro looks like it might have a convertible system, attached to the case either from the side or the base.
    All the SSDs I have used have mounts on the sides and the bottom, I believe this is standard for all 2.5" drives.

2. Received thanks from:

Bill@W (29-07-2013)

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Re: Force SSD's Have Brackets As Standard? Plus Do You Format SSD's or What? SSD Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@W View Post
    All the SSDs I've seen pictured, appear to have 2 threaded holes on each side, as if the default mounting is for fitting in a 3.5 inch bracket. The case I've bought has 4 mounting holes flat on its floor (the PSU is fitted ahead, in the front of the case), for 2.5 inch drives. Can anyone tell me if their SSD has mounting screws on the flat underside of the drive? The Samsung Pro looks like it might have a convertible system, attached to the case either from the side or the base.
    Typically, they are mounted on the bottom side of the SSD when using a 3.5" drive tray.

Quote Originally Posted by bytejunkie View Post
    does that article state that performance will be gained? it looked to me like a bunch of things that windows no longer needs to do since disk access is now a lot quicker.
    The guide highlighted the steps we suggest to achieve maximum results without affecting it's performance while you also significantly save disk space. So, yes, no performance gain but more on maintaining the SSD's performance overtime.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Bill@W's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • Plextor 128GB SSD; WD Black 500GB; Toshiba 1TB; Plextor Opt: Asus Opt
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GeForce GT 640
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic G650 semi-mod.
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li A-05FN
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241W; Iiyama ProLite X23...HDS
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 mbps (6.5km from exchange)

On the basis of Macadee's kind response, I bought a Plextor 128gb ssd--since it comes with a bracket for fitting in a 3.5" bay, that gave me a fall-back position. It's now mounted flat on the floor of my Lian-li case, (Haswell system) with machine screws and rubber spacers securing it to pre-drilled 'keyhole' slots. The case is no bigger top-to-bottom than the ATX mboard size, so everything is a tight squeeze, even with a semi-modular Seasonic G650, but the SSD mounting is an elegant one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information