• 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited

The irony!

I cant help but laugh about the whole situation, 4 days ago i purchased a 2nd hand Playstation 3 60gb from work (with discount it was an excellent price). What swayed me was the bluray win over over HD-DVD and the fact i didnt have one . Being a happy xbox360 owner for over a year without any issues and knowing the PS3 isnt built by chimps out of play dough it should be slightly more reliable. However earlier today my PS3 decided to dump me out of Prestige bluray i was watching and give me an error code. After a rebooted it will now no longer read ANY disk i put in there, nothing. After 4 attempts at ringing sony support, which i might add is USELESS (it just dropped my call after being on hold for 30 minutes each) im getting a replacement. They wouldnt confirm whether it would be another 60gb (god help them if it isnt) but its going back to sony. I couldnt help but feel the irony that my 360 has been good for a year and my PS3 died after 4 days. Oh and XBL > PSN.

Link to an awful quality pic of my dead ps3
    Last edited by spazman; 21-02-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: TYPOOOO
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

Re: The irony!

Quote Originally Posted by spazman View Post
    I cant help but laugh about the whole situation, 4 days ago i purchased a 2nd hand Playstation 3 60gb from work (with discount it was an excellent price). What swayed me was the bluray win over over HD-DVD and the fact i didnt have one . Being a happy xbox360 owner for over a year without any issues and knowing the PS3 isnt built by chimps out of play dough it should be slightly more reliable. However earlier today my PS3 decided to dump me out of Prestige bluray i was watching and give me an error code. After a rebooted it will now no longer read ANY disk i put in there, nothing. After 4 attempts at ringing sony support, which i might add is USELESS (it just dropped my call after being on hold for 30 minutes each) im getting a replacement. They wouldnt confirm whether it would be another 60gb (god help them if it isnt) but its going back to sony. I couldnt help but feel the irony that my 360 has been good for a year and my PS3 died after 4 days. Oh and XBL > PSN.

Link to an awful quality pic of my dead ps3
    Yeah you experience is clearly to the contrary/reverse of my xbox 360 experiences personally - funny old world

But Ouch, sorry to hear of your probs.

Firstly im wondering if your copy of Prestige looks something like this on the back?

Reason being that there is one blu-ray film that is renowned to have had a early bad batch run - and that was unfortunately "The Prestige" heres some links on it....

Blu-ray disks have rot issues?
    Blu-ray disc rot on a few titles! - AVS Forum

People were banding around the term "disc rot" in the early part of last year, but its kind of gone quiet on that front so appears for now to be pretty limited to back then.

If your disc does not look like the above then im not so sure

When you say "second hand" from work, do you mean you know the person and trust them etc to have treated it well? If so the only other thing i would ask is have you run a online update yet? (in case the previous owner didnt) i know there has been a few blu-ray updates in one or two of them so just thinking maybe if your PS3 not fully up to date could be a reason it errored specifically on the blu-ray disc?

Good luck with getting the probs resolved - and yeah if you getting a replacement i would def push for the 60gb model.

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited

I manage a games store and have cherry picked what i thought was the best PS3 i could get, old user so i assumed little use box was MINT and every manual/cable present, never mind ey. Oh and the disk was fine, shame its only really blu ray i want it for, i want to see the end of prestige!
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks

What was the error code?
    Here are a list of error codes, i know it's not going to fix your problem but here's a list anyway.

Playstation 3 Error Code List

0710102 - DNS Error; No DSN server available.

8001050B - Will not play demo hard drive games, when blue-ray disc is inserted - Cause unknown

80010510 - Will not play hard drive games - Cause unknown

8002b241 - DVI has no audio.

80028EA5 - Unknown

80029023 - Exchanging Key Information exchange has timed out

80029024 - The attempt to obtain an IP address has timed out

80029564 - Downloaded Game will not install - Cause unknown

8002F997 - Can not update XMB firmware

8003051E - Game will not Save

80031150 - System Settings Fail to Save - Possible Blue Screen "Setting information is corrupted.Press the x button to repair and restore default"

80130203 - PS3 connects to internet but not to network - Typically means that the required ports are not open to connect to store but PS3 can connect to internet.

80710092 - "An error has occured. you've been signed out from the ps network" - (connection dropped?)

80710102 - PS3 Cannot connect to the router with current IP information - Try rebooting your router

80710541 - The connection to the server timed out.

80710B23 - PS3 Network is Down or PS3 Network is too busy to respond

80710D23 - Turn the PS3 off for a bit (30 minutes give or take) with the power toggle (not standby mode).

80029024 -"Cannot Obtain an IP address".

80028EA5 Unknown - User cannot connect to PS3 network. Sony told the user to send the machine in.

8002b241 - DVI has no audio

8001050B - "Will not play demo hard drive games, (when blue-ray disc is inserted) - cause unknown".

8002F997 - Trying to Update the Firmware, copying to a file and installing from a USB drive falied".

80710016 - Playstation Network is down.

8013013E - WEP Key error, change WEP key to all numbers (on router homepage) and try agian, or which to WPA.

8071053D - Hard boot the PS3, turn off the PS3 to stand-by, flip off the back swtich and remove the power cord. Then shut off your modem/router, for about 5 mintues, then turn the modem back up first and let it sync, then turn the router back on(if using one) and let it sycn. Reconnect your power cable and flip the back swtich up again. Then make a new network connnection.

8013030F - Check Router Page, SSID Broadcasting possibly off.

8002F994 - To many people downloading the update just sit back until the morning around 5am - 11am and you should be able to get it.

80410A0B - Internal PSP error, hardware fault. Send back to be replaced/fixed.

80028F10 - Go to Display Settings then HDMI (or whatever your connection is) and choose Automactic, not Custom. I always had it on Custom before. Seems when you choose Automatic it allows the PS3 to select 50hz which is what you need for PAL games that don't support 60hz.

8002A705 - Unable to connect to server/host. Check router port configuration.

80030920 - An error occurred during the copy operation. The file may be corrupt or there isnt enough memory. Try copying data from original source
    Last edited by gtech; 22-02-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited

Spoken to sony for the 2nd time, it went alot better this time than last, i'm getting a 60gb to replace it, and its getting swapped on the 26th! According to the lady on the phone its a relatively common problem on 60gb models, a screw comes undone on the laser meaning that it can't read any disks.

Thanks

Mines imported from the US so i think the warrenty is void , so i'll be inclined to find that little bugger and screw em up, sticking about 100ft/lb of torque while i'm there.

Strange how it just comes loose in the first place. still i've had mine for 1 year and 1 month now and no probs ' slapping bench'

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited

I thought it odd too, still thats what she said, i was extremely happy to get a 60gb to replace it.

Thread Information