Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to lose belly fat!

OilSheikh

Re: Need to lose belly fat!

Revisiting this thread again.

So, I have decided not to go to the gym as it's way too expensive. I have 2 x 12kg weights and 2 X 1Kg ankle weights. I also have a spring squeezy thing, supposedly to fatten your arms.

What excercises can I do with this kit to lose fat ?

Thanks
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

If you're just looking to lose weight, try adjusting your diet to contain less carbs.
    Play more sport, do more cardio based things, such as running, swimming, cycling etc.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post

So, I have decided not to go to the gym as it's way too expensive. I have 2 x 12kg weights and 2 X 1Kg ankle weights. I also have a spring squeezy thing, supposedly to fatten your arms.

Look at them, then leave them in the cupboard and go running for an hour (with warm up/down before/after) three times a week. If you must, put the ankle weights on, but they won't make much difference other than to be annoying.

Weights will not help lose fat.

Banned
    Thanks

most important muscle to train in losing weight is your mind IMO.

You can lost a lot just by changing your beliefs , routines and the same habits that are causing you to eat in the first place without even doing any physical exercise at all.

It is quite simple but you have to " self aware " to do it rather than simply reacting to things as they happen .

Enjoying the process helps a lot too i.e. to get fit for a sport you like so you can peform better - so on

Dont just make it a physical act , make it something that reflects a purpose or new found " intent " in your life , and try playing into that role by adjusting everything else accordingly. i.e. exploring other fears or things you usually avoid doing.

bah

m
    Last edited by melon; 14-09-2012 at 12:25 PM.

OilSheikh

Let me rephrase myself, what type of home excercises can I do to lose fat ?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Let me rephrase myself, what type of home excercises can I do to lose fat ?
    Aerobics and variants thereof - Tae Bo, Rosemary Connelly etc.

7. Received thanks from:

Registered+
    Thanks

use wraps rather than bread. generally cut down on fat and sugar and salt where possible.
    eat porridge for breakfast instead of those crap cereals.
    do a 15 minute ab workout when you get up in the morning and continue with your normal gym workouts. walk wherever possible rather than drive and use the stairs!
    easy.

9. Received thanks from:

OilSheikh

EEk... I am now 67kg and my height has dropped by an inch somehow?!?!

Registered+
    Thanks

Go for low G.I. it really works, you stay fuller for longer. Oats for breakfast is great, up the veg to 50% per meal cut the starchy carbs like potato, bread, pasta.

Above all sort the portion control, the average stomach is the size of a fist, go for smaller portions and eat less as the day goes on.

Registered+
    Thanks

It's unfortunate that it's impossible to target fat loss.

Weight loss is as simple as burning more than you take in. But everyone says that..

Equally if not more as important as burning the calories is controlling them with a good diet. A good starting point is working on substituting a few things from what you eat now, over time easing you into a better all round diet. Some find it overbearing to go from what they're used to to an intimidating fruit and leaves nightmare.

One site I've found inspiring for eating good food that still holds taste is lean body lifestyle. Drop it into youtube, he puts up loads of useful videos!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Look at them, then leave them in the cupboard and go running for an hour (with warm up/down before/after) three times a week. If you must, put the ankle weights on, but they won't make much difference other than to be annoying.

Weights will not help lose fat.
    kalniel, I'd like to disagree with you on this one. Although it has been stated in various publications and studies that nutrition will play more of a role in weight loss, with some quoting as much as 99% of fat loss, particularly belly fat, being down to nutrition, weight training can play a significant role especially if they're used as part of a high intensity exercise program.

You haven't mentioned what type of weights they are. Are they dumbells, barbells, ketteballs etc?

Because I don't know your body type or what type of metabolism you have I can only give a generic reply.

What you need it to engage in some high intensity workouts and ideally focus on workouts that will build muscle at the same time.

Do a lot of compound exercises such as squats and deadlifts. If you're and experienced lifter and the weights are too light then try one legged squats or variations that will increase intensity.

Guys say the ankle weights are useless, but I disagree. You can wear them as you go about your daily activity (or for brief periods if you're not that fit). Although you won't burn that much calories at the time, you'll add to you muscle mass over time which in turn will boost your metabolism and ultimately result in you burning more fat in the long term.

Registered+
    Thanks

There's a simple change you can make. Walk more. Buy a pedometer and try to do at least 10,000 steps per day. I have been doing this as part of the Global Coprorate Challenge, and by doing this and making some changes to my diet such as porridge oats with skimmed milk for breakfast instead of skipping breakfast, no crisps (god, I miss crisps...) I lost 8kg over a period of 3 months.

Steve

Thanks

Drink lots of water instead of fizzy drinks and fruit cordials. Drink milk instead of semi-skimmed, or semi-skimmed for skimmed.Eat lesser amounts of food than usual.
    Avoid the intake of tea or coffee with sugar.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

I lost weight purely by keeping to <1500 cals per day.

Breakfast: 200-300 cals - usually fibre rich and starchy (weetabix! )
    Dinner: 400 cals - fruits, soups, bread, pasta anything with low fat but not too much starch
    EXERCISE - Simply running up and down my stairs till I'm out of breathe, get your heart going. 5 min rest. Cardio exercise (I use a rowing machine). 10 mins of cardio then rest. Then I move onto some type of weight lifting, simple dumbbells, sit ups/push ups. Then back to rowing.
    Tea: 600-800 cals consisting of proteins.

Sure this may not apply but this is what I do. With a slight hunger feeling and I know I am on the right track

Some dumbbell exercises http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/dumbbell-exercises-3

You could also purchase a medicine ball, we have a 5KG at home and really does help these are pretty good and can be used for cardio exercises

I usually tried to stick to this throughout each day.

Exercises - I do every other day.

In my opinion the gym is useless, you can do all the exercises at home with simple equipment that you can buy from your local supermarket. At the end of the day it's up to you to push yourself not some expensive machines the gym provides.

The spring squeeze thing (I don't know the proper name either) just strengthens your wrists and arms.
    Ankle weights are good if you walk around with them.

You don't necessarily need to push yourself until your knackered. 30 minute work outs daily can do the job just fine.

I didn't go for the record in weight loss and muscle build, even though it took a month altogether I lost 9 pounds. And to be honest it wasn't very difficult.

Most of it is in your head, be consistent in what you eat and exercise and push yourself a little more when the exercises get slightly comfortable.

I would personally do more 30 minute lighter workouts than one crazy workout

Thanks
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

http://www.sixpackshortcuts.com/afterburn _ This guy makes some real sense. I spent 8 months of Running & cycling, just cardio for 8 months 1 hour sessions 3 times a week and I lost nothing ok maybe a little thou I was fitter! but i hardly lost any weight. I changed over to interval sessions and this was like wow, major boost and the weight starting to come off nicely. I went out and bought a Gold gym Skipping rope during the summer and This has been both fun and great for buring the extra calories.

Registered+
    Thanks

I find cutting out high carb foods like bread and pasta (I use whole wheat) from your diet is a good method. I also gave up sugary drinks and minimised my intake of cakes and sweets last year which really helped. Dont go over the top though, treat yourself every so often or else your diet will be unrealistic, and you wont stick to it.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information