Thread: I just did another race. A little bit longer, and a lot more interesting...

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

Red face I just did another race. A little bit longer, and a lot more interesting...

Got back yesterday from the Raid Bimbache Extreme adventure race. Teams of 4 racing 570km+, via trail running/trekking, mtb, kayaking, climbing & SUP, navigating the whole thing via map and compass. From sea level on the Costa Brava at Platja d'Aro up to the highest peaks of the Pyrenees (2800m) and back. All non stop, sleep-when-you-feel-like-it.

Was an amazing event, made all the crazier by the announcement, 10hrs before the start, that the official race director had vanished with all the funds, prize money, maps, cash for logistics etc. FREAKY.

The previous race director (from 2010) jumped in at the last minute to pull the rabbit out of the hat with an altered course, less support en-route at the transitions, more volunteers, and asking for much grace. The coasteering, snorkel navigating, city orienteering and ocean kayaking stages were replaced with a single 24 mile trail run along the coast, to the first bike transition, after which the course remained the same.

Our team did ok: we crossed the finish line - lol. It was just a matter of surviving, to be honest. The top teams, world class athletes, took a minimum of 21hrs to complete the first 160km mtb stage with a total climb of 5,500m. The pre-race prediction was 12hrs. Most teams took over 30hrs, ours being a healthy 38hrs (!). Well, we WERE the oldest team with an average age of 46yrs. That's our excuse, anyway.

En route, two of my team mates dropped out, due to physical exhaustion, one within 5km of the finish. He was almost ready to be put on a drip, with constant diahorrea, unable to eat, and looked at least 10yrs older. He'd also towed (on bike) the other teammate for most of that 160km bike stage, which is not to be taken lightly.

Us remaining two took 100hrs 15 seconds. We were 3rd to last over the line. 5 teams had dropped out. We saw 4 sunrises (awesome!), endured freezing nights on mountain tops with nothing other than emergency blankets and 4mm rubber mats - no sleeping bags, no tents (too heavy), slept on bare concrete, endured 30+C heat trail running, climbed amazing peaks, biked UP scree slopes (well, hiked and biked them), carried bikes for miles along trails never designed to be ridden, and all on a total sleep of approx 8hrs. An experience of a lifetime.

Pics here: link

Oh yes. No blisters, no real muscle pain afterwards - just a few aches from bruised feet and a faint knee twinge. The body has an amazing Design!
    One can never stop saying Thank You

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: I just did another race. A little bit longer, and a lot more interesting...

it's the 4th of March 2014

8pm UK time

and I have just read this post for the first time.

I don't really have words...... in fact, if I'm totally honest I nearly didnt type this....

you, Fuddam, are a mental machine of a man.

A mental extreme machine.

I am sorry I have not commented thus far... but now I can only sit in awe of your physical ability matey

I salute you S!

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

3. Received thanks from:

fuddam (05-03-2014)

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

How on earth did we miss this? Awesome stuff fuddam, cannot even begin to imagine what it must've been like!

Thanks
    • Tonka777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Vengeance 3000
      • Storage:
      • 128gb 830 & 1Tb+1Tb+500Gb Samsung F1's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 670 Signature 2
      • PSU:
      • Antec TruePower 650
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC7-FW
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq E2220HD & Iiyama E1900WS
      • Internet:
      • Sky ADSL2

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

yeh how did we miss the chance to call you a mad soab again!

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

lol. thanks peeps. When I posted it originally, and no-one said anything, I thought it had come across as boastful so I just kept my mouth shut.

My hope was that it would inspire others to give this kind of thing a bash, since it is truly an amazing experience.

There's a world-class race taking place this coming weekend on the South Island of NZ, called the GODZONE and a pre-race quote today was:

With seven days of non stop racing around the greater Kaikoura region, the teams will have their work cut out for them with long sections of serious navigation to tackle. Mr Bates says experience and age are two important components when trying to predict the top five.
    One of the wonderful aspects of this sport is that adventure racers often do not reach their peak until into their 40’s."

There is fun to be had, for sure, and it's got nothing to do with being a young 'un. If I had the money, I'd be in NZ like a shot. Doing a race in the land of Mordor is just about as good as it gets.

http://godzoneadventure.com/

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

I double posted but didn't know how to delete it, so here's some arbitrary text

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

That's amazing, well done!

Any updates on the Race Director that disappeared?

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

lol amazing that this post slipped under the radar! Sounds incredible mate, congratulations!

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

The crooked race director popped up a week or two later, pleading for forgiveness. He'd gone and hidden in the woods, out of sight. No idea what eventually happened to him, but the race crew asked all teams for dates/amounts/records of payment afterwards. Some accounting was being done....

The replacement RD freaked out, because he first learned of the fraudster's reappearance from a LinkedIn friend request(!)

The replacement RD is right now doing the Iditarod Challenge in Alaska, but instead of using a husky team for the 1700 miles, is towing an 80kg sled all on his own. The only foot competitor, lol. He is a bit nuts. Afterwards, later in the year, he's doing a solo Atlantic rowing attempt.

Iditarod: http://tracemyway.com/antonio-de-la-...tarod/tracking - though the tracking is a bit iffy.

He is a hardcore adventure racer, competed at the highest level, and is a complete dynamo of energy. I seriously thought he was coked up the first time I met him

For those who are curious about the 'lifestyle' of AR, I just read this very cool article in Endurance Magazine, by a 32yr old female competitor. Captures it perfectly: http://enduranceracingmagazine.com/j...s-a-lifestyle/

Edit: I wrote up the whole race afterwards. It's a LOT of text.
    http://fuddam.wordpress.com/2013/10/...-the-bimbache/
    Last edited by fuddam; 05-03-2014 at 11:38 AM.

12. Received thanks from:

virtuo (05-03-2014)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by fuddam View Post
    lol. thanks peeps. When I posted it originally, and no-one said anything, I thought it had come across as boastful so I just kept my mouth shut.

My hope was that it would inspire others to give this kind of thing a bash, since it is truly an amazing experience.
    A ) I don't think anyone here would think of you as boastful bud... far far from it

and

B) the chance of me finding it inspiring is.... unlikely. It looks sound and reads like hell on earth.

However..... it does inspire me to think you're ever so slightly mad and vey very mentally strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

lol, thanks.

It's easier than it sounds, with some training. Lots of ups to counter the downs.

Here's a vid taken yesterday in NZ on the Godzone race. Can see how beautiful and inspiring some locations are. Lifts the spirits.

https://vimeo.com/88623057

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Hats off mate - didn't see this post either.

Depending on how Outlaw goes, I've been toying with the idea of the Norseman, or possibly a team Arch to Arc Enduroman attempt, but even these seem pretty sedate compared with that!

I've been to Kaikoura. It's a bit 'lumpy' to say the least. Not sure I'd be loving racing around there.....

Thread Information