• Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Re: Spec me a Bike

Thanks for everyone's input it is much appreciated.

Hmm it looks like I may have an issue on my hands then

The current one I was actually looking at was this.

Although it is a bog standard retail. Problem is this is my transport but I can't afford to get a proper bike just yet, nor can I keep borrowing.

Plus my thinking was buying an expensive one will increase the chance of it getting stolen, and that would put me in a pickle.

I shall keep my eye out on the Bay to see if any used ones in my area come up. There isn't anything around by me on Gumtree or eBay at the moment.

There are some bikes on SportDirect and Amazon which aren't too expensive but then again when it has a name I haven't heard of then I am weary.

How long theoretically would a cheap one last? 40-50 mins per day?
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

If you are going to buy cheap and nasty, don't buy one with suspension, the fork will be junk. Also if you buy 2nd hand and it has a few scratches, it's less likely to garner attention than a shiny new (but rubbish) bike.

Cheap bikes mean cheap components which will wear or break easily. Not a problem if you gears break (although it may involve a long walk), if your wheels or tyres go though, I'm pretty sure you'd just get - well that's wear and tear - your problem.....

3. Received thanks from:

mikeo01 (16-10-2014)

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

Have you got a Decathlon near you? They have got a bit of a reputation for selling good budget bikes, if you can stretch to £120 they have a reasonable looking MTB on there, its equipped with bottom end shimano gears, etc. Other option would be to look for a shop selling 2nd hand bikes, quiet a lot of them in large towns / city's, at lest that way you get some help with fettling gears etc, some are run as charity's.

5. Received thanks from:

mikeo01 (16-10-2014)

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

I haven't got any near me all seem to be over in England.

Unfortunately sod all shops around here either. Only thing that's around is good old Halfords. I shall keep my eye out on eBay.

For now just got myself a heavy duty U lock (OnGuard brand) to keep this thing tied down.
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I bought a Viking Phantom Race off sports direct in February, I've never had a better bike for the price. It's a nice road bike, but it has lots of clearance on the frame so you could easily put some fatter tyres on it (700x28C, probably) to make it more comfortable for tow-path commutes. It's around £130 iirc. Also, their after-sales service is excellent - a couple of weeks ago I was biking home and heard a horrendous crack, stopped up and found that two rear spokes had sheared at the hub. One email to their customer service team, they called back, asked what had happened, and two days later an entire new rear wheel turned up in the post.

As to frame sizes, I have a 30" inside leg which is pretty damn short and I tend to ride 20-21" frame bikes. What you're most likely to find an issue is the stretch from seat to handle bars rather than from seat to pedals. But ultimately, you can't really tell unless you go to a bike shop and try a few things out, see what's comfortable for you. Ideally a local independent shop is what you want, but an Evans or even Halfords should be willing to let you sit on bikes and see how they feel.

8. Received thanks from:

mikeo01 (16-10-2014)

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I bought a Viking Phantom Race off sports direct in February, I've never had a better bike for the price. It's a nice road bike, but it has lots of clearance on the frame so you could easily put some fatter tyres on it (700x28C, probably) to make it more comfortable for tow-path commutes. It's around £130 iirc. Also, their after-sales service is excellent - a couple of weeks ago I was biking home and heard a horrendous crack, stopped up and found that two rear spokes had sheared at the hub. One email to their customer service team, they called back, asked what had happened, and two days later an entire new rear wheel turned up in the post.

As to frame sizes, I have a 30" inside leg which is pretty damn short and I tend to ride 20-21" frame bikes. What you're most likely to find an issue is the stretch from seat to handle bars rather than from seat to pedals. But ultimately, you can't really tell unless you go to a bike shop and try a few things out, see what's comfortable for you. Ideally a local independent shop is what you want, but an Evans or even Halfords should be willing to let you sit on bikes and see how they feel.
    Thanks scaryjim for the advice. Also this one you mean? I am currently looking at one of their others (similar I take it?), Viking Pro Racing mainly out of curiosity. That is a small ish 53cm frame (Halfords tells me that it good for 5' 7").

I've got to be honest road bikes do sound interesting however I am worried about one thing (well two) 1) Size and 2).... Falling off

Most of my route involves me going over muddy grass, taking turns over again, muddy grass and most of my route is very bumpy (if the paths were a road it would be named "pothole heaven") so I would be worried about either nackering the tyres up, busting the frame or coming completely off.

They are 700C tyres (small?) and I'd be putting the saddle down as far as it goes either way. I could have a go in Halfords on a road bike to have a see when I do get time.

There are a few bikes on eBay named "Trax", there is also "Raleigh" and "Ammaco" on Amazon, but sounds like they are all mostly generic named bikes.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Mike, seriously, go and get measured at Evans or your local bike shop. If you don't you may end up with a bike that doesn't fit which you'll never use, and you'll have wasted your money. You don't need a retul fit or anything, just a quick sizing up and sit on a few bikes.

Re: Falling off. If you're not clipped in ie with SPD/SPD-SL pedals (which you won't be because they are more expensive), then if you wobble, just put your foot down. You can always get fatter tyres which have lower rolling resistance. Be careful though. I put Specialized Nimbus 38mm tyres on my cross bike, and tried cycling to work today. I've not done a great deal of cycling, or well.... anything since my Ironman in July, but it felt waaaaay harder with fatter tyres.

Something to consider.

11. Received thanks from:

mikeo01 (17-10-2014)

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Mike, seriously, go and get measured at Evans or your local bike shop. If you don't you may end up with a bike that doesn't fit which you'll never use, and you'll have wasted your money. You don't need a retul fit or anything, just a quick sizing up and sit on a few bikes.

Re: Falling off. If you're not clipped in ie with SPD/SPD-SL pedals (which you won't be because they are more expensive), then if you wobble, just put your foot down. You can always get fatter tyres which have lower rolling resistance. Be careful though. I put Specialized Nimbus 38mm tyres on my cross bike, and tried cycling to work today. I've not done a great deal of cycling, or well.... anything since my Ironman in July, but it felt waaaaay harder with fatter tyres.

Something to consider.
    Thanks for the advice. That is my thought, I could always slap some thicker tyres on.

Also the update. Went to Halfords today. OK not the best, two young guys who "vaguely" measured me and suggested a 17/18". Didn't check leg length.

I did manage to try out my parents bikes (a 14" MTB and a 17" hybrid). Let's just say my leg length is a lot shorter than I thought.

The frame on the 17", well, I was sat on the actual frame, bar whilst standing up, closest to the saddle. So 17" on a MTB is a no go. The 14" fit me a lot more comfortably than I thought. Slight bend in knee whilst sat on the saddle (as low as it can go).

My current bike is a 16" with the saddle right down. So to be completely honest, and embarrassingly enough a 14" frame with the saddle a tad higher, a 15", or a 16" with the saddle completely down (like currently) will fit me.

Looking around there aren't many 17" bikes let alone the bike size I actually need.

... I may have to get a woman's bike (ideally as close as to a blokes colour as possible!), a unisex bike or a very big teens bike or a Junior road bike.

So a 53cm road bike is probably wayyyy too big for me. It'll be like jumping on a horse every time even if I swapped the tyres for say 24" ones I think it'll still be too big.

Some bikes I've found which should theoretically fit are unfortunately dual suspension bikes , Broadpeak, Raleigh Activ and Terrain Matterhorn.

Last one which is a rigid is the Hawk Americano which is probably my best bet. Otherwise road bike wise a junior bike is probably the way to go.
    Last edited by mikeo01; 17-10-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

You can get used to larger frame bikes very quickly. i bought a Charge grater 1 with XL frame recently, even though inside leg is 32 inch and I'm only 5 ft 9. I have had to replace the front headstock with a shorter one as the reach forward was a bit much, but having a tall hybrid with roadbike lightness is a joy.

14. Received thanks from:

mikeo01 (05-11-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • guinn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2 Q6600 @ 3.2GHz (8 x 400MHz)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 @ 400MHz (1:1)
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320GB SATA in RAID-0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce 8800GT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • 750W OCZ Silencer
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" TFT @ 1920x1200
      • Internet:
      • NTL :(

Don't get anything like the Raleigh Activ or Terrain Matterhorn. They're scrap metal. Seriously.
    At anything less than about £500 then suspension is worse than useless. You'll sit there bouncing up and down on the flat, wasting energy not going forward. The best thing when looking for a cheap bike is something basic. The Hawk looks the best bet there.
    Or this seems fine for £130
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...ns-hybrid-bike

And something else to consider - how hilly is your commute? Have you thought about a single speed? My commute is in London which is obviously pan flat compared to much of Wales but if you're not going up any serious hills then it's something to consider.

16. Received thanks from:

mikeo01 (05-11-2014)

Thanks

Don't worry about touching the floor whilst sat on the bike. The way to measure if the frame's the right size is sit on the saddle, with your foot on the pedal in the 'pedalling' position. you should have a small bend in your knee at bottom dead centre. Not much, but enough that your leg is pretty much straight, but your knee isn't locked out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

18. Received thanks from:

mikeo01 (05-11-2014)

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Thanks for the advice both my route is meh. I usually go from gear 11-19. Most of it is flat, but some parts are steep.

Unfortunately both I have to jump to get on the saddle of a 17" bike. Like I mentioned my crotch is firm on the steel frame.

I can just about tip toe the pedals. I have a slight bend in my knee on the 16" bike I am riding now and the saddle is as low as it goes.

I mean yeah I probably would get used to a bigger frame but I am more worried about the twins if I do brake hard or slowing down.

I may have to stuck it up and get a woman's bike or a juniors road bike or something.

Thanks all for the help probably just odd leg length. I may pop up to another bike store soon to see if they can measure me (there is another Halfords nearby so I will try them, see if they could I don't know suggest swapping out parts of a given bike to make it smaller maybe?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information