Thread: Bicycle Guys! Advice needed!

Thanks

Bicycle Guys! Advice needed!

Alright, so I'm looking to get myself a bicycle to get some exercise and I've been looking at some local second-hand offerings not having a mint to spend.

It's going to be for recreational use/exercise, might commute with it (not long distance), and I doubt I'll be taking it off-road.

There have been a few that looked decent and I went to see one today.

It's a Boardman Comp, mountain bike, with bullhorn handlebars, and the story is that it was bought about 2.5 years ago by the seller's (a middle aged lady) son for about £1000. About a year ago, she says, he left for Thailand with a friend and since then the bike has been sitting, covered, in her patio unused. She's tried selling it for £500 and then £200 and she's willing to let me have it for £160, which seems like a possible good deal.

The main issue with it is that there's quite a bit of rust on the chain and gears a little on the brake discs, and then also on some of the various nuts. So it looks like it might need a service/replacement parts, but I'm not sure how extensive it might and whether or not it will prove more trouble than it's worth.

I've taken a few pics of the main areas of rust. It seems to clearly need a new chain which I don't think will be a big deal, but I'm not sure how big a deal it will be to replace the gear system, or if it could just be cleaned up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Re: Bicycle Guys! Advice needed!

How handy are you?

Best case, its a chain, cassette and a couple of gallons of GT85, I'd proibably bank on shift cables as well, maybe £50 including cheap tools to DIY it.
    Worst case it could easily be freewheel/hub, chainrings, BB and both derailleurs, which is easily running you into a few hundred and some reasonably pricy tools. Not to mention tyres ofc. If its not going offroad don't bother with that. Look for a road bike or a hybrid. They'll likely be cheaper (less market for them) and not a huge money pit.

3. Received thanks from:

Galant (15-09-2015)

Thanks

It's been a while since I've owned a bike so I'd probably look to get a local reliable shop to do a service.

Just FYI and for other scenarios, there are also these bikes available second-hand, locally, but I've not seen either of them in person, yet:

£150 BH Laurtaret Hybrid

And then a more generic brand Decathlon Sport 7.1 road bike, £150, might go lower:

Last edited by Galant; 14-09-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Registered+
    Thanks

Be careful with getting a full service via a shop you could end up paying more than the same again for the service alone. The boardman is the better bike and probably what I'd get, but as stated herulach it will be a bit of a project for a while. Depends if your up for devoting the time, effort ect. As for the hybrid argument I'm of the camp that a decent pair of slick/semi slick tyres on a good light xc bike is more comfortable and gives you the option of going off road.

6. Received thanks from:

Galant (15-09-2015)

Thanks

The Boardman is a good bike, but it's in a fairly bad way tbh - all those rusted parts aren't just a bit rusted, they're junk. It'll need lots of new stuff. You'd probably get away with the rear mech, but the front's toast. Cables will be knackered and the brake rotors are going to rip the pads out of the callipers in all likelihood. Add to that, those Avid brakes will need stripping and cleaning out - bleeding them is a proper pig of a job as well. I wouldn't get that unless you wanted a project bike for the winter. Essentially the frame and fork look ok, you could probably scrap the rest.

As for the others - I'd go for the Lauteret - better bike than the Decathlon offering (and doesn't look like it's been "customised" too much)

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

8. Received thanks from:

Galant (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I'm with Tumble, of those I'd go for the Lautaret - looks like the most versatile option, although the pictures aren't as clear so it's hard to tell if there's much corrosion.

Personally, particularly if you want to commute on it, I wouldn't touch a back that didn't have a pannier rack, or at least mounting points, and I'm not sure either of those do. I like the little handlebar bag on the decathlon, mind you...

10. Received thanks from:

Galant (16-09-2015)

Thanks

I've heard back from a local shop and they've quote approximately £125 for the repair, including parts, although some details still pending. So I'm going wait and see once it's all in. It'll put the price up, obviously, but might be worth it in terms of getting good value on an overall better bike.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

That Boardman for a £160 is a total bargain.............if you're handy with the spanners, if not then not so much. But more importantly what size is it and is it the right size for you? No good having a great bike if it hurts you when you ride.

But as others have said its a bit of a project but easily salvageable, especially if the brakes work and are not spongy (Avids are not the best brakes in the world) and the front fork doesn't require a rebuild and new seals . If it's a 19" frame and anywhere near Newbury, Berks tell her I'll take it.

P.S. the bike was £700 new, not £1K.
    Last edited by jimborae; 17-09-2015 at 10:32 AM.

13. Received thanks from:

Galant (17-09-2015)

Thanks

Could any of you give some insight into Hybrid vs Road in terms of riding - casual or for fitness/training? Stylistically I like road bikes, and I'd be riding for exercise/pleasure. Realistically it wouldn't be long distances, not at first any way. Is a road bike more uncomfortable? I grew up with BMX's and mountain bikes.

I saw the Lautaret and it looked to be in decent condition. Quite honestly, I just wasn't excited by it, not sure that's important though. I might be seeing the Decathlon Sport tonight, waiting for a reply.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

For actual road riding (i.e. out and about light traffic, more about pace) I find proper road bikes better, for commuting Hybrid or tourer, the eating position is less mechanically good but makes it a lot easier to see.

Thanks

So I didn't go with any of the above bikes so far. I'm going to be taking a look at this one very shortly today:

Mendiz Nassau: Size 52 frame with Mavic Aksium wheels and Campagnolo Xenon group set, 53/39. £200 ONO.

Would need to get regular pedals for it.

Frame might also be on the small side.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Nothing is more important than a proper fit.

If you're uncomfortable on the bike, it doesn't matter if it's a Storck Aero TT IS 2, you're still not going to use it.

Personally I'd go to a bike shop, get them to size you (approximately) and then look for bikes that they suggest 2nd hand.

18. Received thanks from:

Galant (06-10-2015)

Thanks

Yeah, was too small. On we go!

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Could any of you give some insight into Hybrid vs Road in terms of riding - casual or for fitness/training? Stylistically I like road bikes, and I'd be riding for exercise/pleasure. Realistically it wouldn't be long distances, not at first any way. Is a road bike more uncomfortable? I grew up with BMX's and mountain bikes.
    I had it explained to me that Hybrids are Mountain Bike-esque frames with road wheels/tyres, so the riding position is more 'sit-up'. But this is a bit of a broad statement. If you look at the Trek 7.x and 8.x bikes, both are Hybrid, but the 7.x has a thinner frame and wheels, and the 8.x has thicker tubing on the frame and chunkier tyres. So you can get road-like hybrids and MB-like hybrids. The common theme is straight handlebars. Then you get the Cyclo-crosses. which are the other way round.
    I remember when I was young, you got either a Grifter or a racer and that was it.

21. Received thanks from:

Galant (06-10-2015)

Thread Information