• Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Opinion on the MyProtein brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander View Post
    OThere are a few things to this:
    (1) - it's pure milk so if I have some intolerance it's much worse compared to protein powder
    (2) - it's at least a couple of times more expensive than protein
    (3) - it's harder to consume
    (4) - it has more fats
    (5) - it's harder to transport/carry/contain/preserve (to work or gym)

And besides all this, there's the whey protein isolate, which should remove all the discomfort from milk intolerance. Yes, it's more expensive, but ...
    So to address those I've added numbering in your quote.

1 - Possibly, though you could see your doctor about ways you can reduce your intolerance. Given you have an intolerance, you should probably also check with them before taking any supplement either.

2 - Hasn't been in my experience - you even say isolates are more expensive than milk later on. If you're willing to pay for isolates then you could also get A2 milk to reduce intolerance.

3 - Milk comes in a variety of forms - at it simplest it's ready mixed and you just drink it - it's absorbed perfected well by the body with the perfect balance of proteins, carbs, water, and really helpful vitamins in forms that are likewise easily absorbed by our bodies.

4 - Milk can have very little fat if you skim it, but actually the fat in milk isn't unhealthy at all, quite the opposite, so if HEALTH is your primary consideration, the fat in milk is only a good thing.

5 - Doesn't have to be - if you carry a bottle of water then you can carry a bottle of milk just the same. If you're worried about it going off because you've got to keep it somewhere warm for a long time then just get UHT milk - doesn't even need to be refrigerated. IF for some strange reason you can only take powder in, then get powdered milk!
    Last edited by kalniel; 18-01-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    You know that protein leeches calcium from the body and can cause bone problems later in life, right?

The actual amount of protein you need in a day, if you're most interested in your health, is around 2oz from all sources. You're talking about supplementing your normal diet with that much again! Unless you eat no protein in the rest of your diet (and if that's the case, then you're really not taking your health very seriously ), you're going to be consuming far more protein than you need. You only need extra protein if you're specifically seeking to build muscle mass, or if you're particularly active. 4 - 6 casual gym sessions a week probably doesn't qualify.

if you're feeling tired and not sleeping well, I'd look at dehydration and overall diet, particularly vitamin intake and daily calories, before worrying about protein. The chances that you're not getting enough protein and very slim indeed...
    Actually protein doesn't leech calcium from the body
    Those are some very old statistics that were proven wrong. Due to higher protein intake you absorb more calcium from the things you eat, so the kidneys filter the higher calcium intake.
    I've read on a number of places that you need about 2 grams of protein per 1kg body weight, so for me this is about 140-150 grams of protein. A steak has about 20-30. How many steaks and liters of milk do I have to drink (I'm not convinced that 2g/1kg is correct though, it should be less).

I do sleep very well occasionally and I'm drinking about 3 liters of fluids on a daily basis, I'm not that stressed or something so that's why I came to the conclusion it should be the food or lack of such although I eat about 5-6 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Why do you think you need protein supplements? I've never needed them despite reasonably heavy training and racing up to Ironman distances. I have a friend who's won a couple and just qualified for the world championships, he swears by chocolate milk, but doesn't take any supplements at all. IMO change your diet.
    Okay, I can agree with that, but one of the most important things I've learned from sport is that (mostly) everything is individual. Some people are fine with less of something, others need more. That's why I think I should try. It won't kill me and probably won't do me much harm. I consider my metabolism to be fast considering I eat regularly, sleep and all, but still I'm 186cm tall and weight 71kg. So it could work for you and your friend, but it might not work for me or I'd say it doesn't since this is basically what I was doing until now. It's not like I'm dying, I just think I'm not tip top and not just for a day or two (we all have a few of those days).

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Okay, I can agree with that, but one of the most important things I've learned from sport is that (mostly) everything is individual. Some people are fine with less of something, others need more.
    Then why ask for other's opinions/experiences?

A steak has about 20-30
    You need to improve the quality of your steaks Should be nearer 90 (Assuming typical 300g steak - of course, smaller portions have less - being veggie I'm probably not the right person to ask what the right steak serving size is to be fair, was going from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...estaurant.html ).

But if you're going for pure protein (shouldn't need to again - virtually all food contains some protein) there are better sources than steak.
    Last edited by kalniel; 18-01-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Okay, I can agree with that, but one of the most important things I've learned from sport is that (mostly) everything is individual. Some people are fine with less of something, others need more. That's why I think I should try. It won't kill me and probably won't do me much harm. I consider my metabolism to be fast considering I eat regularly, sleep and all, but still I'm 186cm tall and weight 71kg. So it could work for you and your friend, but it might not work for me or I'd say it doesn't since this is basically what I was doing until now. It's not like I'm dying, I just think I'm not tip top and not just for a day or two (we all have a few of those days).
    http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-new...#axzz3xbO0S1wB

Your numbers don't stack up. You don't say what sort of training you're doing either, but I still maintain that 'real' food (nuts, milk, tuna, chicken) is better than supplements. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you've already decided what you want to do (probably before starting this thread), so at this point I'll bow out of the discussion gracefully.

Young Member
    Thanks
    • shakerist's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Maximus Vİ İMPACT İTX
      • CPU:
      • İ7 4770
      • Memory:
      • 16gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb wd blue, SanDisk 128gb ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 270
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 620w
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Phenom İTX
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung p2250
      • Internet:
      • Talk talk 38mbit fibre

Myprotein = awesome, coffee caramel is HEAVENLY

Now it is still a supplement, its not a miracle in the form of powder. Actually having "real foods" will be better, but in terms of convenience and ease when you're in a hurry or cant be bothered its a quick source of protein. NOTHING MORE.

Count Calories, count your macros, profit.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him dominate the world

6. Received thanks from:

Anomander (19-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-new...#axzz3xbO0S1wB

Your numbers don't stack up. You don't say what sort of training you're doing either, but I still maintain that 'real' food (nuts, milk, tuna, chicken) is better than supplements. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you've already decided what you want to do (probably before starting this thread), so at this point I'll bow out of the discussion gracefully.
    Yes, thank you again. I've decided and I've already ordered. I'm eating all of the things you mentioned, but love to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by shakerist View Post
    Myprotein = awesome, coffee caramel is HEAVENLY

Now it is still a supplement, its not a miracle in the form of powder. Actually having "real foods" will be better, but in terms of convenience and ease when you're in a hurry or cant be bothered its a quick source of protein. NOTHING MORE.

Count Calories, count your macros, profit.
    Thank you for the opinion! This is exactly what I've been asking. Whether the brand is good, not if I should take protein and for a food regiment or something

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... I've read on a number of places that you need about 2 grams of protein per 1kg body weight ...
    For what purpose? DRI is 0.8g of protein per kg: http://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-protein-per-day/

UK FSA advise 55g/day for an adult: http://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-protein-per-day/ (Protein is on page 5)

The only reason I can think of for advising a protein intake 2.5x the DRI is if you're looking for significant muscular development.

A couple of quarter-pound cheeseburgers contain your full day's protein. If you just eat a normal diet you'll get plenty of protein - as well as the obvious things like meat, eggs, dairy and pulses there's also a decent amount of protein in bread/pasta and a little in potatoes and rice. Don't neglect carbs in your diet as that's where your immediate energy source comes from: if you're not getting enough carbs before/during a work out you will experience a drop in energy levels.

As to the protein/calcium thing, it's interesting to see that current evidence has shifted on that one. Something to keep an eye on

Thanks

5I'd always thought it strange that things like myfitnesspal would recommend what I'd say was low amounts of protein but weight training guides suggest 1g per lb of bodyweight.

So I've read this http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-...-bodybuilders/ and it sounds like 0.8g/lb is the very max anyone ever needs. Looks like more research from me is needed!

Thanks

Okay, the numbers were rounded, but still 0.8g/lb is about 2g per kilo.
    "There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle once you’re past the novice level as a natural trainee. " There is no advantage, however it doesn't say that it'll hurt you. Yes, you might gain some weight if you consume more, but the same applies for food. Or you could just spend the energy on some activity, it all varies. It's true that at least 50% of your healthy body depends on your diet, but people are still eating cakes and sweets. So what's the problem if you take more protein? Yes, there's protein in almost everything and carbs and good fats are important too, but this is not what the topic was

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... this is not what the topic was
    You asked people what they thought of a brand of protein supplement - that question implicitly asks what people think about protein supplements in general, as that will inform someone's opinion of a particular brand.

For a normal diet you need 0.8g/kg of protein. For an elite athlete/bodybuilding diet there's no benefit to eating more than twice that. So that's around 55g/day for a normal diet, 110g/day if you're VERY atheltic or you're on a body-building regime (which you say you're not, on either front).

That extra 55g of protein contains around 220 calories, which is around 10% of your recommended daily intake. Choosing to consume that additional protein means either choosing to unbalance your diet - i.e. you'll have to cut calories from another source - or choosing to deliberately overeat in terms of calorie requirements. And that's why there is - potentially - a problem if you take more protein.

Besides, the reason you gave for considering protein supplements is "because you feel tired", but I've not seen any evidence that a lack of protein in the diet causes tiredness. If you think the problem is a lack of available energy during workouts, then carb-based energy foods and isotonic energy drinks are going to work far better for you than protein shakes.

*shrug* you've asked a relatively open question about health on a tech forum. This was never likely to be an audience who'd ignore the context of the question! Always worth considering who you're asking when you ask for an opinion - it's going to affect the answer

12. Received thanks from:

shakerist (20-01-2016)

Thanks

I'm now aiming for 0.7per lb, so for me that's just under 100g per day, I do think I need additional to hit that, 2 per day @ 20g a time leaves me with 60g to hit via normal food, do-able

Registered+
    Thanks

Protein shakes tend to clog up your gut and provide a great environment for worms and ba bacteria you will feel worse happened to my brother he gets acid reflux most of time. Plus its second rate protein. Just stick to meats and nuts and legumes beans etc.

Thanks

Citation needed?!

16. Received thanks from:

kalniel (20-01-2016)

Thanks

I personally love using whey protein. It is a great addition to hangover smoothies and if you are trying to build muscle. I know a lot of people who use MyProtein and enjoy it.

Thanks

You asked people what they thought of a brand of protein supplement - that question implicitly asks what people think about protein supplements in general, as that will inform someone's opinion of a particular brand.
    Not true at all. It's a very specific straight question. You just turn it around into a completely different topic.

For a normal diet you need 0.8g/kg of protein. For an elite athlete/bodybuilding diet there's no benefit to eating more than twice that. So that's around 55g/day for a normal diet, 110g/day if you're VERY atheltic or you're on a body-building regime (which you say you're not, on either front).

That extra 55g of protein contains around 220 calories, which is around 10% of your recommended daily intake. Choosing to consume that additional protein means either choosing to unbalance your diet - i.e. you'll have to cut calories from another source - or choosing to deliberately overeat in terms of calorie requirements. And that's why there is - potentially - a problem if you take more protein.
    It's very individual whatsoever.

Besides, the reason you gave for considering protein supplements is "because you feel tired", but I've not seen any evidence that a lack of protein in the diet causes tiredness. If you think the problem is a lack of available energy during workouts, then carb-based energy foods and isotonic energy drinks are going to work far better for you than protein shakes.

*shrug* you've asked a relatively open question about health on a tech forum. This was never likely to be an audience who'd ignore the context of the question! Always worth considering who you're asking when you ask for an opinion - it's going to affect the answer
    As I already said, it's not an open question at all. Not sure how can I make it more specific. May be say the exact item I was thinking of buying, but I wasn't sure what it would be at the time when I posted the thread.
    And btw when you aim to gain lean muscle you need carbs for energy, but if you want to reduce fat, it's best to get the energy from protein. You might not be able to lift that much, but you'll shape better in time. It all depends on what you want to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    I'm now aiming for 0.7per lb, so for me that's just under 100g per day, I do think I need additional to hit that, 2 per day @ 20g a time leaves me with 60g to hit via normal food, do-able
    Don't care. Not related to topic. You could aim for whatever you want to. It doesn't concern me. Don't know how much you eat, weight, train or your height which all affects your needs. The topic isn't how much protein you take per day or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by malarkey95 View Post
    Protein shakes tend to clog up your gut and provide a great environment for worms and ba bacteria you will feel worse happened to my brother he gets acid reflux most of time. Plus its second rate protein. Just stick to meats and nuts and legumes beans etc.
    This is all rubbish. Anything to prove that? Food in the store isn't high quality (especially the meat). Even for the very expensive foods you can't be sure. Plus it's easier and faster to to get protein shakes. Again that is something which is for a different topic.

Please don't post if it's not what you think about the brand, preferably if you have tried it. You just fill the thread with unrelated information and if someone wants to check whether the brand is good or bad, he'll have difficulties.

P.S. My products arrived. The package looks ok and the delivery was fast. I'll go get clock my system now and take some protein I don't need.

Thanks

Well, you're just a charmer aren't you.

Welcome to the discussion forum

20. Received thanks from:

b0redom (21-01-2016),peterb (25-03-2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information