Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on the MyProtein brand?

Thanks

Opinion on the MyProtein brand?

Anyone tried them? Which product?
    I've saw some good reviews, but it would be great if someone confirms it's true. I'm thinking of ordering some standard whey protein just as an additional supplement to my fitness routine (nothing special, I'm just casually visiting the gym 4-6 times a week, but I'm thinking I need some additional recovery thingy, cuz I'm feeling pretty tired recently). Let me know if you've tried it or a friend of yours did and what you/he/she thinks.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Opinion on the MyProtein brand?

Waste of money.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander View Post
    Anyone tried them? Which product?
    I've saw some good reviews, but it would be great if someone confirms it's true. I'm thinking of ordering some standard whey protein just as an additional supplement to my fitness routine (nothing special, I'm just casually visiting the gym 4-6 times a week, but I'm thinking I need some additional recovery thingy, cuz I'm feeling pretty tired recently). Let me know if you've tried it or a friend of yours did and what you/he/she thinks.
    Why do you think you need them?

If you are protein deficient, maybe you should be addressing your whole diet rather than taking supplements.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

To answer the question, they're pretty good for the money, always have a 'deal' on so tend to be similar prices per KG regardless of whether it's 25% off or 3for2 or similar. Quality is on par with more expensive brands, depending on what you buy, basic whey is plenty good enough for most people.

To perhaps explain kalneil's post I assume he is referring to the fact that most people don't 'need' protein shakes etc, they're not a magic bullet but will help you to hit your daily protein target if you struggle to do so normally.

This BBC show is worth a watch, it shows that if you're getting the protein in your diet then supplementing won't do much.

Creatine however, that's good stuff, and dirt cheap ... http://www.jissn.com/content/9/1/33

I take a small shake (~20g protein each time) before and after workout because:

a) I can struggle to hit my daily target for protein otherwise due to work/lunch schedule.
    b) It's certainly not going to do any harm.
    c) It costs under 30p per serving so it's not exactly breaking the bank.
    Last edited by Rob_B; 17-01-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Pop a vitamin tablet and drink a glass of milk.

Job done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Waste of money.
    Can you elaborate? You've tried them and saw no effect? You've read some analysis on what their products contain or something?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Can you elaborate? You've tried them and saw no effect? You've read some analysis on what their products contain or something?
    Indeed - my opinion after reading research from places like Uni of Bath (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...nced-diet.html) is that even athletes can get all the protein they need from food - if you need an extra supplement then milk is ideal, and is an opportunity to support local dairy.
    Last edited by kalniel; 17-01-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: speeling

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    To answer the question, they're pretty good for the money, always have a 'deal' on so tend to be similar prices per KG regardless of whether it's 25% off or 3for2 or similar. Quality is on par with more expensive brands, depending on what you buy, basic whey is plenty good enough for most people.

To perhaps explain kalneil's post I assume he is referring to the fact that most people don't 'need' protein shakes etc, they're not a magic bullet but will help you to hit your daily protein target if you struggle to do so normally.

This BBC show is worth a watch, it shows that if you're getting the protein in your diet then supplementing won't do much.

Creatine however, that's good stuff, and dirt cheap ... http://www.jissn.com/content/9/1/33

I take a small shake (~20g protein each time) before and after workout because:

a) I can struggle to hit my daily target for protein otherwise due to work/lunch schedule.
    b) It's certainly not going to do any harm.
    c) It costs under 30p per serving so it's not exactly breaking the bank.
    Thank you! This is exactly the reason I'm considering buying it. It won't hurt and their prices are pretty ok. Plus I don't think I can get all the calories I need just from food. I've done some research on creatine and it was pretty positive as well so I'll think about it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Indeed - my opinion after reading research from places like Uni of Bath (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...nced-diet.html) is that even athletes can get all the protein they need from food - if you need an extra suppliment then milk is ideal, and is an opportunity to support local diary.
    Thank you for the clarification! The thing is that I'm usually placing doubt on everything, especially articles and that's why I'm asking for first hand experience
    I'm able to have a pretty good food regiment, but still I either over train or just cant eat that much meat or whatever protein food you have in mind. So if their products are with good quality, I'm inclined to try them. Also I've read on quite a few places that milk is not good for a number of reasons (like the cows are fed with bad food or injected with some drugs to produce more milk which lowers it's quality and you drink "rubbish" so to say) and I also have some milk intolerance so I prefer to avoid it.
    Last edited by peterb; 17-01-2016 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Starred words - please read FAQs

Banned
    Thanks

I guess the reality is that your training is nothing to do with fitness but all about personal 'look'. Hence, why you want suppliments.

DEfine what you want first.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    I guess the reality is that your training is nothing to do with fitness but all about personal 'look'. Hence, why you want suppliments.

DEfine what you want first.
    Actually you're completely wrong. My priorities are health>strength>looks. I'm considering supplements exactly because of my first priority, because I just can't force myself have more than two days per week without visiting the gym, but recently I'm feeling very tired and I'm getting enough sleep so I think it's because I don't recover well enough due to lack of protein or other things which food provides.

Banned
    Thanks

So if you want to be healthy, eat healthily!

Also, less if often more in training. You might find your are better off with less sessions, or shorter sessions.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

<snip>...you drink "rubbish" so to say) and I also have some milk intolerance so I prefer to avoid it.
    <Mod hat>

Post edited, please re-read the FAQs to remind yourself why

http://forums.hexus.net/faq.php?faq=...s#faq_faq_lang

</Mod hat>
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Thank you for the clarification! The thing is that I'm usually placing doubt on everything, especially articles and that's why I'm asking for first hand experience
    I'm able to have a pretty good food regiment, but still I either over train or just cant eat that much meat or whatever protein food you have in mind. So if their products are with good quality, I'm inclined to try them. Also I've read on quite a few places that milk is not good for a number of reasons (like the cows are fed with bad food or injected with some drugs to produce more milk which lowers it's quality and you drink "rubbish" so to say) and I also have some milk intolerance so I prefer to avoid it.
    You know whey protein is made from milk, right?
    As for whether you need it or not, if you treat it as food then you'll know if you need it or not. Calling it a supplement when it's just milk protein is just a marketing trick to get people to buy more. As a protein food though, it's actually pretty cheap compared to other sources.

MyProtein seem to be decent, I recall reading some research on quality of various brands that showed that MP is generally pretty much what they say it is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    You know whey protein is made from milk, right?
    As for whether you need it or not, if you treat it as food then you'll know if you need it or not. Calling it a supplement when it's just milk protein is just a marketing trick to get people to buy more. As a protein food though, it's actually pretty cheap compared to other sources.

MyProtein seem to be decent, I recall reading some research on quality of various brands that showed that MP is generally pretty much what they say it is.
    Of course I know it's made from milk. But I said some intolerance. So just as a comparison, 100 ml milk has 3 grams of fat, 4,1g of carbs and 3g of protein. So if you take two scoops of protein per day (roughly 25grams each) you take 50grams of protein which is a couple of shakers which is easy to take and ingest. But if you want about the same protein intake from milk, you'll have to drink 1.6 milk which in my country costs 1.6 euro. There are a few things to this:
    - it's pure milk so if I have some intolerance it's much worse compared to protein powder
    - it's at least a couple of times more expensive than protein
    - it's harder to consume
    - it has more fats
    - it's harder to transport/carry/contain/preserve (to work or gym)

And besides all this, there's the whey protein isolate, which should remove all the discomfort from milk intolerance. Yes, it's more expensive, but ...

Nevertheless, I'll order some and if anyone is interested for feedback just let me know (but give me some time to test it first )
    Thank you all for the opinions!

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

You know that protein leeches calcium from the body and can cause bone problems later in life, right?

The actual amount of protein you need in a day, if you're most interested in your health, is around 2oz from all sources. You're talking about supplementing your normal diet with that much again! Unless you eat no protein in the rest of your diet (and if that's the case, then you're really not taking your health very seriously ), you're going to be consuming far more protein than you need. You only need extra protein if you're specifically seeking to build muscle mass, or if you're particularly active. 4 - 6 casual gym sessions a week probably doesn't qualify.

if you're feeling tired and not sleeping well, I'd look at dehydration and overall diet, particularly vitamin intake and daily calories, before worrying about protein. The chances that you're not getting enough protein and very slim indeed...

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Why do you think you need protein supplements? I've never needed them despite reasonably heavy training and racing up to Ironman distances. I have a friend who's won a couple and just qualified for the world championships, he swears by chocolate milk, but doesn't take any supplements at all. IMO change your diet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information