Originally posted by 0iD
Chilli Pickle 1.
(Hari Mirchi ka Aachar)
Approx. 1/2kg green chillies.
2 tbs. salt.
1 ½ tsp. turmeric powder.
2 tsp. fennel seeds.
2 tsp. mustard seeds, coarsely ground.
1/4th tsp. asafoetida powder.
5 tbs. mustard oil, enough to make a paste.
1. Wash the chillies and dry thoroughly by leaving them in the sun for a few hours or by leaving them on a towel in a warm room overnight. (Any water will make the pickle turn mouldy very quickly).
2. Slice chillies thickly.
3. Heat mustard oil until it smokes and then cool it.
4. Add all the spices & stir for 1-2 mins
5. Add Chillies & mix all ingredients well
6. Put the mixture in sterilised glass jars and leave in the sun or on a sunny window sill for one week (if at all possible, don’t ask me why, it’s the way my friend tells me she made it back home in India).
7. Once the pickle is ready, keep in the fridge if possible.
Sliced ginger and/or garlic can also be added if desired.
Chilli Pickle 2
(Mirchi ka Achar)
250 gm fresh chillies, red or green
2 tbs. black mustard seeds
1 1/2 tbs. yellow mustard seeds
1/4 tsp. onion seeds
1/2 tsp. carom seeds (ajwain)
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp. dry mango powder
3 tbs. mustard oil for spice mix
1-2 tbs. mustard oil
1.Remove stalks from chillies, wash and allow to dry completely on a towel, on a sunny surface. They should be completely free of water or your pickle will not last.
2.Chop into small pieces.
3.Grind mustard seeds together coarsely. Keep aside
4.Grind all other whole spices a little finer than the mustard seeds, but not to the powder stage.
5.Mix all spices, salt and mustard powder with the oil.
6.Add chillies and mix well.
7.Fill in the jar, close lid and store in a dark place.
8.Leave in the sun for 10-15 days.
9.When Chillies are soft, add another 1-2 tbs. mustard oil and store.