Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best SSD for £70

Thanks

Re: Best SSD for £70

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
    Looks like we will just have to agree to disagree here. Of all the people that I know that have Sandforce based drives, including me (and I've got two OCZ Sandforce based drives), I only know of one that still has an issue (problems coming out of sleep... and this issue is not just a Sandforce issue..).
    Ah the classic, "but I / my mates have no issues" defence The problem is that a *lot* of us have / are having issues still. None of us would wish faulty hardware on anyone, but the issues are still very real for us.

Maybe I'm just lucky but this is based on "actual experience"
    So are most of the people on HEXUS. We just have very negative experiences of the drives.

not just what I've read on the Internet (not like I'm doubting the integrity of some of the better sites on the WEB). I think far too many people have just jumped on the "all Sandforce based drives are rubbish" bandwagon, with no real world experience themselves.
    As above, many of us on here warn people of the Sandforce issues because we've had to RMA multiple drives, have lost data, and spent hours in wasted time. This isn't anything to do with people thinking they are an expert, the firmware updates with change logs are enough to see that there is a problem. Some of the most respected sites in the hardware sector, like AnAnd still show there are issues. Some of the guys on here are still having issues with the Intel drives and have sent them back for a refund (under the AES problem for speed though).

As to Intel re-writing the firmware in their Sandforce based drives. That's rubbish, Sandforce still produced the firmware.
    Why are these mutually exclusive? HalloweenJack is correct, the firmware was rewritten in section sections by Intel to be more reliable. He never said that Sandforce didn't produce the original.

Intel may well have had a big input into the QA / testing and tailoring but no way have they produced the firmware themselves.
    Indeed, but HalloweenJack didn't claim that Intel produced it themselves, but rather that it was rewritten. This is what Intel has done; in conjunction with Sandforce? Probably, but this doesn't make the rewrite for Cherryville any less real (it's actually exclusive to CV for the moment)

Obviously there are millions of combinations of hardware out there and some folks will always have issues (some of which they make themselves). Not just limited to Sandforce based SSD's.
    Indeed, but there is normally a critical mass where enough people have an issue and it takes off. This is one such example. I agree with you that you're going to get people jump on the bandwagon, but don't underestimate how many of us have / had issues and are *very* peeved about it.

There are ongoing issues on pretty much all the manufacturer forums (including the much praised Crucial drives). In fact on the very first page of the SSD sub-forum at Crucial, I can see people with issues "drive not being recognised / missing", "sleep/hibernate problem" etc. Not all necessarilly the drives fault, for that you need to do a bit of digging. But it's the same with a lot of the issues on say the OCZ sandforce forums. Just life.
    A huge number of the Crucial issues are down the mobo / SATA implementation though, not a drive issue as you said. The other thing to keep in mind that Crucial, to this day, have not had a bug in their firmware which caused dataloss like Sandforce did. Even the 5k powered on issue was a reflash with no data loss.

I can perform an Internet search as well as anyone thanks . There are always problems with any PC component, whether it be SSD, motherboard are whatever. At least I have some personal experience of using a Sandforce based drive, do you? or does all your "knowledge" come from an Internet search?

See I can be as cheeky as you
    My "knowledge" comes from replacing over 40 of the things, but you'd know this if you'd searched

It wasn't a dig at you mikeo but we go through this every few weeks with new members / people who are buying their first SSD. I'm not going to repeat what many of our long term have said in many other threads, but there is enough respected members on here who certainly wouldn't jump on the bandwagon for the sake of it who have had bad experiences.

The replies from these new members / SSD newcomers are generally:
    • "But mine / my mates works fine"
    • All hardware has issues
    • Issues have been improved by firmware updates

I / we don't really have issues with these points as such, but they are repeated over and over without acknowledging that many of us still have issues. Issues which quite simply are solved by swapping a Crucal or a Samsung in.

If you put the reliability to one side, they still have issues with compressible data, 'headline' read and write speeds which are great for benchmarks, but less use in the real world and situations where you can fill the drive with the "wrong" data which means they need a reformat / secure erase to properly sort (TRIM doesn't sort it).

You need a dam good reason to go with one IMO with all that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

2. Received thanks from:

mikeo (18-07-2012)

ERU
    Thanks

I just got a Samsung 830 for seventy notes.

Thanks
    • mikeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Gaming M5
      • CPU:
      • I7 8700k @ 4.9 all cores
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510, Samsung 970 EVO, Samsung SM951 NVMe, EVO 850, EVO 840, Vertex 4, Vertex 2 & 2x F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 1080 TI Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra 850w Titanium
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 (retail)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Xilo/Uno broadband partial LLU via TalkTalk

Agent

Fair enough. I can see where you are coming from. It's just a pet hate of mine and yes I to work in IT myself, contract programmer for 30+ years (yes I am that old and feel it some days ) when a lot of folks do just base their "experience" on what they read on the Internet. In your case, that looks not to be the case. I humbly apologise.

"I / we don't really have issues with these points as such, but they are repeated over and over without acknowledging that many of us still have issues. Issues which quite simply are solved by swapping a Crucial or a Samsung in." .. good point, I can appreciate it being very frustrating (it probably would be to me). Luckily my experience has been limited to a small handful of Sandforce based drives and these have all been fine. Makes you wonder why so many companies have picked up the SF-2281 and run with it!?

I would definitely agree with your comment regarding in-compressible / compressible data on the Sandforce based drives. Hence why my last drive was a Vertex 4 with a Marvell controller pretending to be Indilinx (so to speak). Seems a decent piece of kit. Be interested to see if it has a better track record than the Sandforce controlled drives. Time will tell.

PS. If I've offended anyone, then I apologise. It's been a long day and it's not yet over for me.
    Last edited by mikeo; 17-07-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Live long and prosper.

5. Received thanks from:

Agent (17-07-2012)

Thanks

I myself bought a vertez 3 , 3 rma`s later and it got thrown back at the company i bought it from as unfit . i got to the point of thinking `is this really what an ssd is about` - when reinstalling windows for the 10th time in as many days. thats why i dont like the vertex 3.

As for the firmware ..... even when Intel rewrote it - sandforce wouldnt let them touch TRIM (one reason it actually doesnt work well)

7. Received thanks from:

mikeo (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    • mikeo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Gaming M5
      • CPU:
      • I7 8700k @ 4.9 all cores
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510, Samsung 970 EVO, Samsung SM951 NVMe, EVO 850, EVO 840, Vertex 4, Vertex 2 & 2x F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 1080 TI Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra 850w Titanium
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B25F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 (retail)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Xilo/Uno broadband partial LLU via TalkTalk

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    I myself bought a vertez 3 , 3 rma`s later and it got thrown back at the company i bought it from as unfit . i got to the point of thinking `is this really what an ssd is about` - when reinstalling windows for the 10th time in as many days. thats why i dont like the vertex 3.

As for the firmware ..... even when Intel rewrote it - sandforce wouldnt let them touch TRIM (one reason it actually doesnt work well)
    You have my sympathies, beginning to think I was lucky decision of mine to miss out the third generation drive and jump to a Vertex 4.

And again I apologise for having a go at you.
    Live long and prosper.

Thanks

I ended up going for the 830.
    Its a bitch to re setup everything

Kendoka - Kendo For Life! IronWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Prince946 View Post
    I ended up going for the 830.
    Its a bitch to re setup everything
    If you haven't already done so and got games, make sure you save all your name/app folders for games...

Yes, setting up again is pain.. do that a few times due to problems and you get a real head ache.

Thanks

SCAN have a really good deal on Kingston HyperX 120gb at £70

Kendoka - Kendo For Life! IronWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hamy144 View Post
    SCAN have a really good deal on Kingston HyperX 120gb at £70
    I brought one in the last deal, I would not recommend it.

Get a M4 instead, doesn't have the crap known as Sandforce on it.

Thanks
    • RichieLee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A7L
      • CPU:
      • AMD fx6300
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix 16GB 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 320 120GB SSD, Crucial m4 128gb ssd, 2TB Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI twin frozr 7950
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 550w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li K60
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7 64bit home premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • E2260 LG 21.5"

The M4 goes on sale once in a while. I managed to pick a 128gb version for £73! Mental when you consider I paid £141 for a intel 120gb a few months ago.

Thanks

crucial M4 , plextor M3 and ocz petrol and ocatane all use the marvell 88SS9174 controller , and the vertex 4 uses the marvel 88SS9187 , samsung use their own controller and the rest use the SF-2281 (maybe there are some with JMicron ones?)

Thanks

M4 is the best choice for that price. I bought 128GB for myself for £90 few months ago, now you can even get 256GB for £110 when you look for it more deeper, so SSD prices drop massively in last 3-5 months...

Veteran OGS
    Thanks
    • c12038's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X Evo
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1866 Gaming
      • Storage:
      • 5 SSD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 Red Devil 8gb
      • PSU:
      • 700Watt Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • NZXT 630 phantom case
      • Operating System:
      • WIN10 1803 64bit Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 29" LG 29WK600 with DP to DP
      • Internet:
      • VM 100mb BB

This look very good for its money http://www.ebuyer.com/370160-sandisk...dssdx-120g-g25

not seen any reviews on this SSD unless you can do some research this looks like a good buy

Thanks

yeah, but this is still sandforce. M4 is better than that.
    You can buy 256GB for £120 brand new on forums, or 128GB went for £58!
    ::: i5 750 :: GTX580 :: M4 128GB :: DFI P55 mITX :: Hazro 27" :::
    projects: ::: “PHINIX CUBE” ::: "PHINIX nanoTOWER" :::

Thread Information