Thread: Hitachi 1TB Touro MX3 vs Hitachi 1TB Touro Mobile Pro

Thanks

Hitachi 1TB Touro MX3 vs Hitachi 1TB Touro Mobile Pro

Hello all

I was looking at: Hitachi 1TB Touro MX3 Portable Hard Drive http://www.ebuyer.com/320102-hitachi...-drive-0s03457

and

Hitachi 1TB Touro Mobile Pro http://www.ebuyer.com/487103-hitachi...le-pro-0s03560

The MX3 is 5400 RPM USB3 and the Mobile Pro is 7200RPM USB3.

My question is: Am I likely to notice significant gains in writing speed with the Pro version due to 7200RPM? - or are there limitations or bottle necks with USB3?

Also is there any reason why the 7200RPM may be less reliable than the 5400?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

Re: Hitachi 1TB Touro MX3 vs Hitachi 1TB Touro Mobile Pro

ill just copy my review from amazon. hope it helps

I've had this drive for a couple of months now. its certainly a lot easier to carry around than a full sata 3.5 inch drive in a caddy with a power brick, that's for sure. fits inside the mobile phone slot in my backpack, which is handy.

its been banged around, dropped and sat on (all while it was turned off) and apart from a few scratches and a bit chipped off its still good as new.

defragglers drive health page, reports its been running at up to 25Celcius, ambient room temp is 16Celcius.
    my internal sata drives run at around 30C with a 120mm fan pointing right at them. So this external drive runs very cool indeed.

it works in all the various speeds of USB port USB 1 up to 3.
    just make sure that its a powered port, as when I plugged it in the wrong port on my mums Panasonic TV a warning message came on screen saying 'inserted USB device is drawing too much power on USB port, shut down TV immediately to prevent damage'. or words to that effect anyhow.

the powered port on the tv works super dandy fantasticly.

only complaint is the cable.
    could do to be a bit longer so it reaches somewhere sensible.
    not too sure on the micro-b end of the cable either, seems too tiny and flimsy to stand up to too much inserting and removing. only time will tell I suppose.

the transfer speeds I get vary depending on how full the drive is and what part its writing to (as it does with every other mechanical spinning drive there's ever been). it varies between 65Mb/s 90Mb/s generally. so that's about right for a drive this size. only way to get faster for the size is to get an SSD which does 600Mb/s and a 1TB costs around £2000, so for £55 this is a bargain.

Thread Information