Thread: Can you help me to get back my data off from an unformatted hard drive?

Thanks

Can you help me to get back my data off from an unformatted hard drive?

Recently, I am bothered by my hard drive problems. Please, help me!
    A couple days ago, my bother had accidentally dropped my WD hard drive as it was in use. Every time I attempted to open it in my computer, a message would pop up and asked me to format it at first. But, this drive has contained numerous important files. I cannot just erase them all with the formatting process. So, I come here and hope I can find a way out here.
    Do you have anyway for me to restore all my data back?
    Thank you in advance!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Can you help me to get back my data off from an unformatted hard drive?

There are a lot of programs available to try and recovery files...

BUT....do not use any of them until you have managed to take an image of the drive and then always work on the image, not the hard drive.

Once you have an image to work with, go to town on the image with whatever tools you can get your hands on.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

OK! In my personal experiences, you should always act carefully to restore your data as below:

1. Do not format this drive in case that the formatting process makes everything worse.

2. Do not save anything new on this drive till you’ve restore all data back successfully.

3. Download an external hard drive data recovery program to take chances. In fact, according to your description, your drive data must be still there. As long as you’ve not overwritten it with anything else, you do have chances to get it back with the help of a data recovery program. So, what you should do now is to select a proper data recovery program for your drive data.

After searching over the internet, you will find there are many data recovery programs available online. But, not all of them are efficient as you think.

so, if you still doubt, you can firstly try some drive data recovery freeware that always work much more efficiently than some paid ones, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

4. Do not save or back up all the restored data on the same drive in case of data recovery failure.

Note:
    I hope you can learn a lesson to back up everything important in the future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy0879 View Post
    OK! In my personal experiences, you should always act carefully to restore your data as below:

1. Do not format this drive in case that the formatting process makes everything worse.

2. Do not save anything new on this drive till you’ve restore all data back successfully.

3. Download an external hard drive data recovery program to take chances. In fact, according to your description, your drive data must be still there. As long as you’ve not overwritten it with anything else, you do have chances to get it back with the help of a data recovery program. So, what you should do now is to select a proper data recovery program for your drive data.

After searching over the internet, you will find there are many data recovery programs available online. But, not all of them are efficient as you think.

so, if you still doubt, you can firstly try some drive data recovery freeware that always work much more efficiently than some paid ones, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

4. Do not save or back up all the restored data on the same drive in case of data recovery failure.

Note:
    I hope you can learn a lesson to back up everything important in the future.
    Thank you for your detailed steps. In fact, I am really afraid to lose all my files after receiving the error messages and want to try every possible way to get them back. But, I unfortunately don’t know what I should do. That’s why I post this question here.
    But, after reading your detailed answers, I just followed your steps and tried your mentioned data recovery freeware. They are great, especially the last one that has eventually restored all my wanted files back.
    Thank you very, very, very much!

Thanks

Dot worry about it. I cant assure you about 100% data recovery but yes you can recover more than 70%.
    <snip>
    If your hard drive is asking for a format, format it . Files would be recoverable even after that.
    Last edited by scaryjim; 21-11-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: remove apparent advertising

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Mark, this is your second post (out of three) recommending a particular brand of recovery software. If you have any kind of business relationship with that brand, you should go through formal channels to get permission to advertise/discuss their products on the forums: please see http://hexus.net/advertise/ for details.

If you're not just here to shill a product, please can I suggest that you start intereacting with the rest of the forum? The best way to convince us you're not advertising is to act like you're not advertising

Veteran OGS
    Thanks
    • c12038's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X Evo
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1866 Gaming
      • Storage:
      • 5 SSD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 Red Devil 8gb
      • PSU:
      • 700Watt Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • NZXT 630 phantom case
      • Operating System:
      • WIN10 1803 64bit Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 29" LG 29WK600 with DP to DP
      • Internet:
      • VM 100mb BB

Can you access the drive on an external connection (external HDD enclosure) if so then just access like external hdd then collect data from failing hdd if you can't access the failing hdd then I would surgest a hdd recovery firm look these up on the WWW and just hope its not too late...

Thanks

Use a third-party software to get them back!

Thread Information