• Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Re: OS SSD died. What to get now.

At the moment my prefered SSD manufacturers are Crucial and SanDisk due to the use of Marvel controllers which have been without bad media attention as far as I know, and renown for their reliability.

OCZ is coming back into the fold as an option for me because Toshiba have honoured OCZs warranty on their premium older products, from what we have heard here and a family member of mine has experience with them; their in house controller is meant to be pretty good but didn't get the attention it needed before they went under, Toshiba seem to be giving it all the attention it needs and their oversight should hopefully improve customer service which OCZ had trouble with before the take over.

I seem to have disliked Samsung for a long time now, not sure what it is about them as a company that I dislike so much but they get a wide berth when I am willing to spend money on technology. Biases can be weird I guess... This thread doesn't help me think any better of Samsung to be honest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Yeah, but sequential isn't often that noticeable compared to how fast accessing the data is, unless you're doing large transfers. I'm not trying to underplay the issue (I actually prefer Crucial), but I think given how long it took to surface and that a *lot* of people needed to actively test for it, as opposed to feeling the difference is quite telling.

Hopefully the firmware is a real fix and not some work around. Samsung haven't actually said what the issue is.
    The thing is, the transfer speeds seems like they're getting so incredibly slow it *is* having a noticeable impact. Just because something doesn't use purely sequential transfers doesn't mean it won't be impacted by catastrophic sequential performance as can be seen in the graphs, lower than 20MB/s in some cases. That's easily low enough to start bottlenecking more random transfers too. Games and boot time are two things people have pointed out.

Presumably the reason most people are buying SSDs, for desktops at least, is for the performance uplift over mechanical HDDs, so I don't feel it's fair to say it's not a big deal because you might not notice. Depending on workload, people might not really notice the difference between an SSD and HDD anyway, it doesn't mean it's a valid excuse to only give them HDD performance after paying a significant premium. A big deal was made about gaming the benchmarks on phones, where benchmarks are whitelisted to run at higher fixed clocks; the difference was often not that huge, and again people might not have noticed the difference in performance between whitelisted/not performance, but it is/was still misleading.

Though even ignoring the direct performance issues, the uncertainty over the cause sparked concern that if the performance degradation is DSP/ECC ralated, it could have led to data retention issues longer-term.

Yeah I'll still be following this to see how the firmware fix works. If it's a garbage collection/parallelism issue as people have speculated, drives might need old data to be re-written to realise the benefit of the update.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    The thing is, the transfer speeds seems like they're getting so incredibly slow it *is* having a noticeable impact....
    Yes, sure, of course this is the case or people wouldn't have found out above it presumably

I'm just thinking in the real world here....I've installed quite a few of these drives without anyone complaining about speed. So have (presumably) hundreds of thousands of other people, maybe millions. It's taken over a year for anyone to raise this issue, so again, I think that's quite telling about its real world impact.

Anyway, it's a crappy bug regardless - At least it's not data loss
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

To answer the OP's question from my pov, Crucial all the way now or intel if you have the money >_<

There isn't any point paying more for less when the 256/512 GB MX100 SSDs are priced at the level they are.

Registered+
    Thanks

I don't think its a case of who, more a case of price. All are to 'good' standards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information