Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best 1TB HDD

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Best 1TB HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    smeders: if the Ultrastar you linked to is within the budget, then that's certainly the one I'd go for. It's fast, it's quiet and it's one of the most reliable drives available.

Not really. You linked to a Toshiba drive, which may or may not be a HGST drive depending on its age.

Well, for a company which doesn't make any 3.5" drives, HGST certainly lists a lot of them on their web site. Not to mention the fact that they release new 3.5" drives even if they "do not make 3.5" drives".

While it's well known that Hitachi's 3.5" production line was divested to Toshiba in 2012, I fail to see why you think that means HGST no longer manufactures 3.5" drives today?

It's £20 more than the WD Blue so out of my budget :/ Would the WD Blue be the best choice then?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by smeders View Post
    It's £20 more than the WD Blue so out of my budget :/ Would the WD Blue be the best choice then?
    You don't say exactly what your usage is, but assuming the usual desktop PC use then I expect it will be.

Performance is almost identical to the Toshiba, but for a few pounds more you get twice the warranty length. That might sounds pessimistic or perhaps silly, but the reality is that all drives are mechanical devices that do wear out. You want to see some confidence in the drive from the company that make it.

A bit more money gets you twice the capacity: http://www.ebuyer.com/412335-toshiba...ive-dt01aca200 (and I notice that drive comes with a 2 year warranty as well) if you have some flexibility in budget.

Green drives are slow, I would avoid them.

Perhaps it would be good to take a step back and say what exactly you are building here. If this is a replacement drive for one that has failed then job done, if it is a new build then you might want to put something in the review my build area and see if we can balance the whole system.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    You don't say exactly what your usage is, but assuming the usual desktop PC use then I expect it will be.

Performance is almost identical to the Toshiba, but for a few pounds more you get twice the warranty length. That might sounds pessimistic or perhaps silly, but the reality is that all drives are mechanical devices that do wear out. You want to see some confidence in the drive from the company that make it.

A bit more money gets you twice the capacity: http://www.ebuyer.com/412335-toshiba...ive-dt01aca200 (and I notice that drive comes with a 2 year warranty as well) if you have some flexibility in budget.

Green drives are slow, I would avoid them.

Perhaps it would be good to take a step back and say what exactly you are building here. If this is a replacement drive for one that has failed then job done, if it is a new build then you might want to put something in the review my build area and see if we can balance the whole system.

Many thanks. Yep just desktop use nothing too major, my system does stay on for a few days at a time without being switched off but doubt that warrants a 24/7 drive.

I'll defo post my proposed specs there now I have a solid idea of what I want to get.

Thread Information