Thread: Help Req On Which 512GB SSD To Buy

Thanks

Help Req On Which 512GB SSD To Buy

I've all but finished my new PC build and all that's left now is the installation of the main hard drive where i'll be installing my operating system. After being burnt many times in the past with hard drives failing and losing all my data, I've decided that I'll definitely need to install an SSD as the reliability is meant to be far greater than that of a standard SATA drive. In my last PC, I did setup the RAID with two separate 1TB drives so that the one backed-up the other and that was one solution to the problem. It was actually my back-up drive that did eventually fail but at least I was then able to quickly get a replacement and make a back-up of my main drive. Anyway, times are changing a bit now and SSD's seem to be the way to go. All new desktops seem to have at least one installed. I wanted to get myself a 512GB as that should give me plenty of space to play with. I might still then have two other drives installed which I can use for storing additional media. I've got some pretty good back-up software now so don't need to mess about with RAID.

With the SSD's apparently being more reliable, I'm wondering whether there is any real need to get one of the top-end drives and splash out on all that cash? I've seen some internal 512's up at around the $200/$300 dollar mark but there's others down at the other end of the spectrum, around $50. Obviously the data rate and speed is going to vary but as long as its pretty fast, I don't think it matters too much. I've got plenty of RAM installed and its speed when switching between lots of programs that's more important for me personally. Unsurprisingly, the range of Samsung SSD's for sale seem to be quite a popular choice. What do people suggest, is it worth going all out or sit somewhere in the middle around the $100/$150 dollar mark?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Help Req On Which 512GB SSD To Buy

You don't say which currency that is or which country you're in so it's hard to know which drives you're actually looking at. Even for one of the higher value dollars of the English speaking world I'd be surprised if you could get a genuine 480/500/512GB drive for $50, that sounds like an ebay scammer or similar.

You don't say what your workload is, but your comment about only being concerned switching between programs suggests it's not very disk heavy. In that case you can ignore the hardware as they'll all be identical in practice. I would go for whichever of the cheapest options offers the best after sales support in your part of the world.

p.s. SSDs haven't settled on a size yet, so around you've got 480GB, 500GB and 512GB models at around the capacity you're considering.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • J ack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
      • CPU:
      • i5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 480GB Sandisk SSD 500gb Generic HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro RX 470 4gb Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master G550M
      • Case:
      • Gamemax Falcon
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24 inch Asus VS28HR
      • Internet:
      • Ask4Wifi

I recently got a Sandisk ultra II 480gb which I really like. The samsung 850 evo seems to be a big seller and is supposedly somewhat faster than the one I got, however from what I've read the difference doesn't *seem* to be noticeable. Either way you would definitely notice a much faster boot up time and most applications would load faster too. In comparison to the 950 evo, the 850's bigger brother, I'd assume that's a waste for the day-today user.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    You don't say which currency that is or which country you're in so it's hard to know which drives you're actually looking at. Even for one of the higher value dollars of the English speaking world I'd be surprised if you could get a genuine 480/500/512GB drive for $50, that sounds like an ebay scammer or similar.

You don't say what your workload is, but your comment about only being concerned switching between programs suggests it's not very disk heavy. In that case you can ignore the hardware as they'll all be identical in practice. I would go for whichever of the cheapest options offers the best after sales support in your part of the world.

p.s. SSDs haven't settled on a size yet, so around you've got 480GB, 500GB and 512GB models at around the capacity you're considering.
    Sorry EndlessWaves, should have been a little clearer, I'm referring to US dollars with the currency. You are right about the $50 deal I thought I saw. Turns out it was being advertised as a 512GB but when you go into the description properly, its only a 128MB.

My work involves using a computer and spreadsheets all day, opening a lot of web pages but not a lot of demanding apps or software.

I was wondering why the drives were varying and not just saying 500GB so thanks for that. I'll check out some more models and prices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J ack View Post
    I recently got a Sandisk ultra II 480gb which I really like. The samsung 850 evo seems to be a big seller and is supposedly somewhat faster than the one I got, however from what I've read the difference doesn't *seem* to be noticeable. Either way you would definitely notice a much faster boot up time and most applications would load faster too. In comparison to the 950 evo, the 850's bigger brother, I'd assume that's a waste for the day-today user.
    Thanks bud for your opinions on the subject, i'll have a look at the one you've bought and the Samsung to see what the reviews are like.

Registered+
    Thanks

You can for the Crucial MX300 or a Samsung Evo 850

Thread Information