Thread: NAS Alternative (Or better?)

Thanks

NAS Alternative (Or better?)

I currently have a WD MyCloud EX2 Nas drive and it's possibly the worst thing I've ever owned.
    The main reason I use it is to regularly synch my External HD's everytime they are connected, it has however failed to do this.

In a nutshell, can anyone suggest a better (more efficient) way to have files synched and backed up automatically, I don't need any of the network or sharing capabilities of a NAS, simply a program/HD system that will automatically synch files every time the External HD's are plugged in, similar to Apple's Time Machine (my Mac/PC don't contain enough storage to constantly synch with my HD's which is why I needed something else external like a NAS) or is NAS the correct way to go for this solution but purchase one that is better than WD?

Preferably something that automatically syncs and doesn't require you stop/start it each time like the MyCloud did.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: NAS Alternative (Or better?)

It sounds more like that you're not satisfied with the bundled software than anything to do with the NAS hardware. Have you tried using different backup software with it, like Windows own built in File History?

Thanks

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.
    What other software is there though? I thought these branded NAS drives were only compatible with the software they came with, or made life difficult to use anything else
    (I'm running a Mac btw!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JesusLizardJr. View Post
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head.
    What other software is there though? I thought these branded NAS drives were only compatible with the software they came with, or made life difficult to use anything else
    (I'm running a Mac btw!)
    I'm not familiar with backup software for Mac OS, a quick search shows Western Digital provide instructions for using the EX2 with the OS backup software though (Time Machine & File History) so it's likely it's work with everything else:
    http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase...&lang=en&p=906

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

You mention you have a PC so assuming it's Windows based. It is surprisingly a feature lacking from most home based Backup software on Windows.

The following app might be of interest, the comments suggest that it works for Windows 7,8,10
    https://mattcollinge.wordpress.com/s...ct-and-launch/

I would suggest setting your external backup drives to x: / z: on Windows so if you have another device plugged in its less likely to interfere with the drive letters.

If you have Linux on PC there should be plenty of options but couldn't name anything specific.

I also can't speak for Mac OS.

Thread Information