Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub-£200 Android tablet

Thanks

Sub-£200 Android tablet

Hi there!

I am looking for a budget sub-£200 Android 4.0/4.1 tablet that i can bring over to Paris when i go travelling. I'll be using it mostly to watch movies (in the plane or hotel), surf the net and the usual weather/news apps.

I know there is the Nexus 7 but i have heard negative reviews espcially the speakers sound and the bezels slightly not fixed right appearing it was "rushed" and not glued properly on the sides.

I have seen Archos with their XS & Elements range, GoTabs, Scroll tablets , etc. But, which one would be an ideal "investment"? Which one actually can do the job and i can still say that its a budget tablet but it still runs smooth and has full Google Play store.

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media
    Most people I know who have a nexus 7 have been pleased as punch and is the best in the price range
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Sub-£200 Android tablet

Nexus 7 is the best within that price range. But a part of that, even those Ainol chinese tablets are decent for around £150 or something.

One thing about the nexus 7 is that you won't ever have to worry about software updates, since Google always makes sure there's the latest update for the nexus 7. and the battery life of the nexus 7 can be compared to the new iPad (iPad3).

4. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Problem with nexus 7 is no sd slot and you won't get much internal memory for sub £200. If you want to put movies on it that might limit things slightly.

A bit of a wildcard (and not android) but you can get a 64Gb BlackBerry playbook for £129.99 in Currys / PC world at the moment which is a bit of a steal.

6. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (02-09-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by capt_cornflake View Post
    Problem with nexus 7 is no sd slot and you won't get much internal memory for sub £200. If you want to put movies on it that might limit things slightly.

A bit of a wildcard (and not android) but you can get a 64Gb BlackBerry playbook for £129.99 in Currys / PC world at the moment which is a bit of a steal.
    If the limited memory in the 7 puts you off, there are a few solutions out there to use external memory with an OTG USB cable; such as, rooting the device and stickmount or Nexus Media Importer app allows read only from external flash drives without root.

8. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (02-09-2012)

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

What about http://www.expansys.com/motorola-xoo...-wi-fi-225503/ - ships with Honeycomb, but there's an ICS update for it?

Thanks

Sorry but i'm not into rooting or jailbreaking. I would rather have a proper Android 4/4.1 tablet.

The Motorola Xoom Media Edition seems a darkhorse but because of an older OS and as a virtual unknown from the market i'm a bit hesitant.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gino_76ph View Post
    Sorry but i'm not into rooting or jailbreaking. I would rather have a proper Android 4/4.1 tablet.

The Motorola Xoom Media Edition seems a darkhorse but because of an older OS and as a virtual unknown from the market i'm a bit hesitant.
    If you're not into rooting, but want upgrading. Then get a Nexus7 .

If you're going to be fine on ICS, get a Archos G9 . It's priced right, and got a hard drive, so plenty of storage.

If you can wait, then wait for the Archos G10 + Magnetic Keyboard included. I don't know what will be the price, but it will have Jelly Bean compatibility

I wrote a long post about rooting and upgrading but the tab closed

12. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I have a 16GB playbook and love it. If what you want a tablet for is web, movies and news/weather, then you can't buy a better tablet for the money (particularly now the 64GB one is so cheap at Curry's). AppWorld is starting to see a lot of ported Android apps turning up (although in sheer numbers it's still quite a way behind Play Store) and the web browser is fully featured and has flash, so you can watch youtube/iplayer/etc in the browser. Multitasking actually works properly, the adobe reader is pretty damn good, it comes pre-loaded with the kobo e-reader app so plenty of e-books are available ... it even has a version of DOSBox (although it's tricky to use without a physical keyboard!).

I see no reason to not buy one at the current price.

EDIT: just to add that battery life is fantastic.

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

Tab 2 has just turned up on Hotukdeals.com under at £159, Amazon deal too, its £189 before cashback tho, worth looking into
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks

I don't want to get a BB Playbook as i think it will the way of the HP Touchpad.

The £159 (minus the cashback) of the Tab 2 7.0 seems very tempting but with a slower/inferior specs compared to the almost similar-priced Nexus 7 it's kind of...hmmmmm. tricky. problem with the N7 heard of stories such as the side bezels not being glued properly and the speakers not being too loud & clear.

This upcoming Acer A110 Android 4.1 tablet for under £180 seems also a really good deal when it comes out this month.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I don't want to get a BB Playbook as i think it will the way of the HP Touchpad.
    I understand your position, but honestly even if it does what would you lose? RIM aren't about to go under, and they're planning to use the playbook OS (which is QNX-based) on their next line of phones. So even if they stop making the playbook they're likely to keep supporting it for a while, and even if they stop supporting it it won't suddenly stop working. And it's a good £50 cheaper than most of its equivalents. Worst case scenario is that you end up with a slightly expensive 64GB portable hard drive!

17. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (04-09-2012)

Thanks

What can the Playbook do what the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 or the Nexus 7 can already offer me?

having an Android tablet would makes sense for me as it will complement my Android smartphone. Having a BB Playbook would be another way of more expense for me in terms of buying games off the App Store or the Android player; even with Android apps it won't be THAT plenty anyway. Can you get N.O.V.A., Dead Space or Sprinkle for the Playbook? I don't think so.

Can the Playbook play .avi or .mkv files? Does it do multitasking like Ice Cream Sandwich? Does the Playbook have GPS? Can it send files via bluetooth to any bt-enabled device without the use of a 1st-party or 3rd-party app? Can it turn-on really quick? Does it have a battery life of at least 8-10 hours? All these questions are my concern for the Playbook.

Registered+
    Thanks

The £159 (minus the cashback) of the Tab 2 7.0 seems very tempting but with a slower/inferior specs compared to the almost similar-priced Nexus 7 it's kind of...hmmmmm. tricky. problem with the N7 heard of stories such as the side bezels not being glued properly and the speakers not being too loud & clear.

This upcoming Acer A110 Android 4.1 tablet for under £180 seems also a really good deal when it comes out this month.
    How much is the galaxy tab10 going for these days?

If you're worried about the bezels and speakers , just go to a store where they have that tablet on demo and take check it out for yourself. Sometimes people spread some real crappy rumors mostly haters. But the Nexus series has always been of good quality.

Well yeah the Acer tablet sounds good too, but then they're not that experienced with android tablets. Although with that price point, many Android Dev's will wanna get their hands on it, and do some nice modding

20. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Given the budget you're limited to a solid 7" or ebay/gumtree for larger screen and possibly secondhand. My brother picked up an Asus Transformer TF101 like that for < 200.

One thing, ICS/Jellybean based tablets are only coming to market now so I would wait. Even Amazon will be releasing the next version of Kindle Fire in the coming weeks.

The Playbook speakers are better than the above tablets.

22. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (04-09-2012)

Veteran OGS
    Thanks
    • c12038's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X Evo
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1866 Gaming
      • Storage:
      • 5 SSD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 Red Devil 8gb
      • PSU:
      • 700Watt Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • NZXT 630 phantom case
      • Operating System:
      • WIN10 1803 64bit Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 29" LG 29WK600 with DP to DP
      • Internet:
      • VM 100mb BB

Try this company http://www.prestigio.com/ good quality android tablets at good prices

Hope this helps

24. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (04-09-2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information