Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying an iPad mini...good choice?

Thanks

Buying an iPad mini...good choice?

Hi. I have successfully sold my Nexus 7 tablet as i am disappointed on several things. And i miss having an iOS device as it is very smooth and simple to use. But i have questions in regards the new iOS6 software on the iPad mini.

1. Copy & Paste - Is it as simple as pressing on to the screen, highlighting the part what you want to copy then pasting it to an email or note or anywhere?
    2. Notes - Can one send a note to an email address?
    3. Twitter & Photos - Can one save a photo from Twitter? (like the Android app) And are there new features on how to edit/crop/etc. a photo?
    4. Is it true that the iPad mini has stereo speakers?
    5. Can one connect the iPad mini to 3rd-party bluetooth devices such as speakers or keyboards?
    6. Based on what i saw on the App Store is there now a new dedicated Youtube app for the iPad? Is this true?
    7. Is there now a faster or better way to transfer files (such as songs or videos) from a Mac to an iPad wirelessly without the use of iTunes or any cloud-based services?
    8. Are all files saved on my iPad mini saved on to the cloud as well?

Please advice. Thank You.

Thanks

Re: Buying an iPad mini...good choice?

Right now, I would say get a full sized iPad.

If you really want an iPad mini, then wait until the next bi-annual event until Apple announces one with a better screen resolution. Seriously even though you are cool with a 1024x768 screen, I find it annoying that Apple has got "retina" screens on iPod Touch devices, but not on something that costs more.

It smacks of arrogance, like Intel recently, but if you wait long a enough you may reap the benefits of the competition that the Nexus 7 and other android tablets are bringing to the market.

Otherwise:

- The iPad Mini has stereo sound, but not from stereo speakers. It uses one mono speaker. It's like saying you have champagne, when in reality it is sparkling wine. It is not the same thing.

- The YouTube app is nothing spectacular, I have a dedicated YT app on my 1st Gen iPod Touch.

Hopefully someone else can help with the other questions.

3. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (27-12-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jiw2003's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B250M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 7400
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair LED 3200mhz DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 21TB WD Red, 960 Evo M.2. SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 780 Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550w Bronze
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q 2K WQHD 10Bit
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Broadband

Personally i'd go cold turkey for three months and get the iPad Mini 2 - with the retina display.

5. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (27-12-2012)

Thanks

Sure there is a good argument on waiting for the next iPad mini and one can only imagine what updated specs it will have. Sure the iPad mini is "illegally" expensive and if you weigh in the "Comparing it with the Nexus 7" the iPad mini loses out on the Android 4.2 tab on almost everything. Almost.

The iPad mini's bread and butter is the smoothness of the OS, the number (and quality) of apps, the overall build quality and verything just works simple. The lost could be more.

I want a tablet that is compact and small as the iPad mini and the Nexus 7.I miss having an iPad and those apps and games on the App store. So, is it worth getting one now?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jiw2003's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B250M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 7400
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair LED 3200mhz DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 21TB WD Red, 960 Evo M.2. SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 780 Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550w Bronze
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q 2K WQHD 10Bit
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Broadband

in the meantime you could pick up a generic Android tablet from ebay. With so many out there you're bound to find one with the exact screen size, resolution, battery life, Android version, etc for less than £80.

Thanks

Jie2003,

But that wasn't my query & concern is it? Please kindly read my first line.

Thanks

I've got the mini and I've got a nexus 7 and I've owned the original iPad and the retina version too. Hands down the mini is the one I think is the best. The full sized iPad seems gigantic now after using the mini. The software for the nexus side is awful and the build quality dreadful. The mini with a retina screen will be a big improvement, but you will not regret getting one now.

I've used the cheap android ones and they are cheap for a very very good reason. They are dire. At a minimum any tablet buyer should be looking at the kindle fire/nexus 7.

Quote Originally Posted by gino_76ph View Post
    Hi. I have successfully sold my Nexus 7 tablet as i am disappointed on several things. And i miss having an iOS device as it is very smooth and simple to use. But i have questions in regards the new iOS6 software on the iPad mini.

1. Copy & Paste - Is it as simple as pressing on to the screen, highlighting the part what you want to copy then pasting it to an email or note or anywhere?
    2. Notes - Can one send a note to an email address?
    3. Twitter & Photos - Can one save a photo from Twitter? (like the Android app) And are there new features on how to edit/crop/etc. a photo?
    4. Is it true that the iPad mini has stereo speakers?
    5. Can one connect the iPad mini to 3rd-party bluetooth devices such as speakers or keyboards?
    6. Based on what i saw on the App Store is there now a new dedicated Youtube app for the iPad? Is this true?
    7. Is there now a faster or better way to transfer files (such as songs or videos) from a Mac to an iPad wirelessly without the use of iTunes or any cloud-based services?
    8. Are all files saved on my iPad mini saved on to the cloud as well?

Please advice. Thank You.
    To answer your questions in turn

1. Yup
    2. Yup
    3. I believe so, I don't use the official twitter client as tweetbot is far far better. You can do basic editing in the photo's app or get iPhoto on the ipad for more editing options. There are lots of other apps for this too.
    4. Yes, but it's pointless as with all phone and tablet speakers they are too close together to notice any of the stereo effects. Not to mention when you turn the iPad the speakers are on one side anyway.
    5. Yup
    6. Yup
    7. Not that I know of. iTunes wireless syncing works well in my experience.
    8. Depends where you save them and in what app. I wish dropbox was integrated in iOS.

10. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (03-01-2013),Spud1 (15-01-2013)

Thanks

One of my pet peeves on owning an iPad is the transferring of files. I have a MacBook Air and why can't i just send the files i want to my iPad without using a USB cable or or wireless synching? And from what i know with wireless synching i have to import my files to iTunes anyway and then do the synching. With an Android device i just connect it via a USB cable, out comes the Android Transfer app thing on my Mac and then drag n' drop. That easy. And that easiness is at least 2-3 steps faster than with transferring to an iPad.

Thanks

Its the biggest weakness of iOS when compared to android. I use dropbox and you can get a lot done without ever using iTunes for syncing files that way. You don't need to put the files into itunes itself unless they are media files.

I hope someday soon either iCloud file syncing will be as good as dropbox or dropbox is fully baked into the iOS. I don't think it will ever have drag and drop as it has too many security implications for sandboxed apps for apple to do it that way.

13. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I would definitely say the iPad mini is the tablet to get of the moment..there is just nothing that compares (and yes I have owned a nexus 7..so glad I sold it). I wont get in to Nexus Vs iPad mini (watch this for a really good unbiased opinion from pocket now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2F5833tqH8).

Gordy is right with those answers - so the only thing I can really add to help is to mention the screen.

A heck of a lot of people (particular android fans) harp on about the lack of a retina screen and how everything is blurry or jaggy or some other bullcrap. I can tell you categorically that it's not true in the slightest - the screen is brilliant (and colour wise is certainly much better than the nexus) and I really can't see what a retina display would add on a panel this size..it just doesn't need it, and will only serve to increase the cost when it's finally released next year.

I'd also agree on the point about a "normal" iPad feeling gigantic now that I have a mini - they really do feel like they weigh a tonne and are built for giants..i don't like using them. The mini takes away my major gripes that a full iPad has, and leaves all the benefits (i've even learnt to touch type on it now).

I spent 2 years away from Apple devices playing with Windows Phone, Android, Blackberry..but in truth no other system can offer the quality of materials and comprehensive ecosystem that Apple does..I don't care if it makes me a sheep, it makes my life easier and more fun

Final note - the best thing about buying apple gadgets? They hold their value, every time. So if you buy one now and decide you want a retina version next june, no problem - your £269 tablet will still sell for £220 or so. It's a point people often forget

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

my wife has a mini and i have a ipad 3rd gen. ipad 3rd get hands down is the best tablet. the mini lacks clarity and sharpness compared to my ipad and my friends nexus 7.

if u dont read much text then its fine, if u do read a lot of text like ebooks, it will mess up your eyes.
    When it comes to reading onscreen, the higher res helps a lot

16. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    if u dont read much text then its fine, if u do read a lot of text like ebooks, it will mess up your eyes.
    When it comes to reading onscreen, the higher res helps a lot
    Not at all - at least not in my experience..there is no blurring, no eye strain..the PPI is more than good enough for reading books on it.

No offence meant Josh and we all have our own opinions - but this is the general sort of "there is no retina so its going to hurt my eyes" comment that is all over the internet, and its hogwash in the main.

18. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (27-01-2013)

Syd
    Thanks
    • Syd's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 760 Classified / X570S Tomahawk / gigabyte gaming 7 1150
      • CPU:
      • I7 920@3.8 / 5800X / 4790k
      • Memory:
      • 18GB Dominator DDR3 1600 / 32GB Crucial 3600 / 16GB GSill
      • Storage:
      • 980pro Nvme / Sam840's/ Sam SM951
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 690GTX on Water/ 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • AX860/1250w Seasonic
      • Case:
      • TJ07 / PCV700
      • Operating System:
      • 10 64/ 10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 30” 3090 + ASUS 27 144HZ 1440p IPS
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre pro

I have to agree with Spud, Mrs Syd has just been bought an ipad mini, and I run a 3rd gen ipad , since I ought I for her my go to device ha become the mini !! It's sooooooo ergonomic, so light and eschews quality from every angle it is just a joy to use. What I dearly hope is the 5th gen ipad is the thickness of a mini with the lovely thin bezel, that for me would be the best of both worlds.
    But right now, if I had to choose I'd plump for the mini

My very first watercooled PC project log

20. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (27-01-2013)

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Quote Originally Posted by Syd View Post
    and eschews quality from every angle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks

We all cannot hide the fact that Google Android is on the rise. Profits of Apple from their i-devices have become stale/weaker-than-expected the past year or so i hear on the news. And we can all agree there will be some form of a next-gen Nexus 7 & iPad mini this year. But that's in the later half of the year i reckon. On a packed train i see 3 out of 5 people now use Android phones. And today i heard the high street retailers would rather recommend an Android phone than an iPhone. Why? Well, its not rocket science. Android phones are just better. Tablets? That's another ball game.

The "limitation" & closeness of the iOS like i said puts me off at the moment. Like the issue of transferring files to an iPad. You still have to use iTunes or some expensive 3rd-party software to do that. With Android you just connect to a PC or Mac and drag n' drop away. Sure you might get 50GB off some cloud services app to save your files but that can only work if your in a wifi area isn't it. At home yes that's fine but what if you are on a train station or some cafe that has no wifi or travelling on the Tube or Overground. You're done for! Secondly, the issue of disk space. Apple has been on a disinformation campaign for years i think. What i mean is the 16GB of disk space "advertised is not actually 16GB. Because of the OS and pre-installed apps it will go down as far as 12GB in total. So, you feel you'll be forced to get the 32GB which is (again this eternal complaint that is) expensive. Yes let's face it...it IS expensive. Even if you argue of the quality etc. etc. of Apple devices £329 for a 32GB for an iPad mini is that overpriced.

My Nexus 7 have not got a lot of apps or games or photos or films on it. And the last time i've checked it has 15GB of the total hard disk space now used. That has been my average since buying it last year. That means a 16GB iPad mini will not be enough for me.

If Apple made the 32GB down to £299 then i will jump right in. If i can drag n' drop files from my Mac to my iPad mini without the use of iTunes or 3rd-party software then i will buy an iPad mini today. The screen is fine for me. I survived using my old iPad 2 and sold it for financial reasons.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Gino - I know your post was fairly balanced but I can't help but comment on two things:

1) Apples iDevice profits are up and only going higher at the moment - as we can see from the last earnings call. Apple will fall in the next few years I am sure, but right now they are more popular than ever.
    2) Retailers prefer to sell Android devices for one single reason - they are more profitable for the retailer. Apple effectively fix prices (legally) through the wholesale channels which means if you want an iPad mini, its £260-269 *everywhere*. If you want an S3 for example the prices fluctuate by hundreds of pounds, as the retailer can sell them for whatever they want to. Retailers don't give a stuff about which device is better - only which makes them more money.

We all have our own opinions but those two points are fact

24. Received thanks from:

gino_76ph (27-01-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information