Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: n2200 dropping out of mediaserver

Thanks

n2200 dropping out of mediaserver

Hi,

I've been struggling with my new N2200 for a while.

It won't stay on my mediaserver when it's idle. I have a ps3 for streaming with the N2200.

For a few minutes it stay connected then it drops and the N2200 mediaserver get the status "stopped". When i activate the mediaserver then the status running appears (as expected). If i use the ps3 to stream video from the nas, the nas mediaserver keeps running. But when i don't use the ps3 streaming, the nas will drop its mediaserver ánd the mediaserver stops.

Have anyone the same problem and the solution for it.

Help anyone?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: n2200 dropping out of mediaserver

The media server actually switches from enabled to disabled? Sounds like a firmware issue. Have you tried a reinstall?

Thanks

I've updated the Fw but the problem still exist.

Thanks

Hello,

any solution yet?

I have the same problem with my N0204 (seems to be the same SW) and streaming to my PS3

best regards
    Bernd

GST
    Registered+
    Thanks

Hi,

Same problem with the N2200 (3.00.07E version) but no solution.
    When I disable then enable the media server it shows 'Running'. This reverts to 'Stop' after a few minutes. Sent a ticket to Thecus Support- no reply and from Ultimate Storage where I bought it from but no reply.
    I've noticed a firmware update (3.00.07F) on the Thecus website but on the release notes it does not mention the fixing of the media server but states the USB backup will stop working!!!!
    I'll probably update the firmware and cross my fingers. Will post back what happens.
    Last edited by GST; 27-01-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

GST
    Registered+
    Thanks

Updated firmware to 3.00.07F and guess what........Media server doesn't run at all. Things are getting better and better. Lets see how long Thecus take to reply to my ticket.

GST

Registered+
    Thanks

Angry Re: n2200 dropping out of mediaserver

Quote Originally Posted by Extra-Titanian View Post
    The media server actually switches from enabled to disabled? Sounds like a firmware issue. Have you tried a reinstall?
    I got exactly the same problem with my N2200 and mys PS3 :

I launch media server, I can access music without any problem but only during some minutes (around 5) ... then suddendly, I got a message on the PS3 screen "DLNA error ..." and I can't read my music anymore but still I can browse the hard drive content !!!!

I by now didn't succeed in reading any avi/mkv/mp4 files as I can't see them in the folders when I browse the N2200 with my PS3 : it simply says "No files in folder".

I checked the statuts of the media server service on the N2200 and it switched to stop !!!
    I can't share any folders, boxes are all unchecked, and when I click on a box to sahre the folder, it still tells me "Folder shared succesfully" but the media server is still stopped (by the way, the box doesn't get checked).

I noticed that stopping (then applying) and then launching again (then applying again) the media server service allows the PS3 to read music back but as I said earlier, it only works for some minutes.

Can anybody help us with that issues ?
    Please ??

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MadGstiK View Post
    ... then suddendly, I got a message on the PS3 screen "DLNA error ..." and I can't read my music anymore ...
    To be more precise:
    "DLNA protocol Error 2101"

Anyway, i snooped around to find any fix or answer to this problem and it seems that there may be a way to replace the embedded media server in th N2200 with "TwonkyMedia". This comes as a module BUT for now, I can't find any version for the N2200 specifically. There are several versions for other Thecus products but nothing yet for the N2200.

I was thinking about trying to install a module NOT designed for the N2200 (such as TwonkyMedia module for Thecus N3200 or M3800) but I don't know if there's any risk ?

Anyone who may know somethin about that is welcome to help !!
    Last edited by MadGstiK; 31-01-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Update

Registered+
    Thanks

Well, I tried the N2100 TwonkyMedia module but it won't install on the N2200 ...
    Now we know that at least ...

GST
    Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion.

I downloaded both 'Twonkymedia' and 'TVersity' trial versions and installed on PC.

They seem to work... that is they act a s a media server and now I can access my media.

Only problem is you have only got 1 month free trial and they are not the easiest programs to use!!

When will Thecus fix their own problem, rather than waiting for us to find solutions to the their problems.

Would you buy a NAS which was advertised as 'Great little NAS from Thecus that does not allow you to access or stream your media!!!'

Thecus where are you!!!

GST

Registered+
    Thanks

@GST:
    Twonky exists as a software for PC, MAC and Linux but this is not what we are looking for. If you need to access datas thru your n2200 via DLNA, you may use "PS3 Media Server". Just share your folders with this soft and any DLNA device will see them on your LAN. BUT, i repeat, this is not what we need. Because you have to let your computer working to allow DLNA devices access your datas.
    What we need is a module (lil soft designed especially for the N2200) acting as a Media Server ...
    OR a working firmware !!!

Registered+
    Thanks

Some more info:

I also own another NAS (Netgear SC101) which I used to share (thanks to the FREEware "PS3 Media Server") on my laptop. My PS3 was working fine with this config but I needed more space so I bought the N2200.

First, I tried to use the N2200's embedded Media Server application to see the content with my PS3. As I said before, it ended up with DLNA protocol Error 2101 causing the Media Server application to stop. Or maybe is it the contrary ? Anyway ...

Then I tried to use PS3 Media Server on my laptop to share the N2200 content but when I do so, it ends in a DLNA protocol Error 2006 !!!

... What the hell is wrong with that crappy N2200 ?????

Well, I read somewhere that Thecus was sharing the source code for their additional modules and applications ...

Can't anybody with skills help us ?

GST
    Registered+
    Thanks

That's right. The media software that I installed only lets the N2200 stream to my DLNA reciever when the PC is on. That is of no use to me!!!
    I'm still waiting for a reply to my Ticket from last week. I'll give it a few days and then I'm calling Experts in Storage who sold me this damn thing and will send it back.
    I'd prefer a solution though!!

GST

GST
    Registered+
    Thanks

Dear all,

The other thread regarding the same Media server issues in the N2200 has some interesting news from Thecus:

http://forums.hexus.net/thecus-care-...ml#post1866880

'Thecus is aware of the media server issues on N2200 and we are at the moment trying our very best to solve these issues with the relevant parties.'

At least they have acknowledged they have a problem!!!

Lets hope they can swiftly fix it otherwise my N2200 is outta here

GST
    Last edited by GST; 03-02-2010 at 11:32 AM.

GST
    Registered+
    Thanks

I would like to confirm that I have sent back my Thecus 2200 and am waiting for my replacement NAS. I have decided to spen more to hopefully get something that will work!! If your interested I went for the QNAP TS-239 Pro II , which by all accounts is one of the best at £300. We'll have to see.

So goodluck to the rest of you who may still be having problems with the N2200.

GST

Thanks
    • z/Os's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some Asrock
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X3 720 be
      • Memory:
      • 4 Gb DDR2 1066
      • Storage:
      • LOTSA!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD4770
      • PSU:
      • some enermax
      • Case:
      • some chieftec
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22"
      • Internet:
      • DSL 8 Mb / 512 Kb

Sorry.... I just spotted this thread! I may have a solution, specially if the mediaserver runs for a while then suddenly stops. And it does it over and over whenever you restart it.

What worked for my N0204 was removing "extraneous" files from the media folers. In my case I had a lot of text files, SoundForge's temporary files and peak files and other stuff I had parked in the music folder. I removed those files and... behold, the media server no longer stops.

BTW, the upgrade notes for the 3.0.0.8 clearly stated that the media server was going to be disabled... you just have to re-enable it after the firmware upgrade. At least, that's how it worked for me.

Cheers!

P.S. I will definitely build a Twonky Media module for my N0204 and when it's done I will share it with everyone. But don't hold your breath, my priority right now is findind a way to create a SSH deamon (which is why I was browsing these forums). When that's done, I'll shoot for TM
    Last edited by z/Os; 26-02-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: addition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information