Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went TV hunting this morning and got a surprise

Thanks

Re: Went TV hunting this morning and got a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    When I got my Samsung home a few years ago, I saw the image quality with horror and wondered what I had done.

But remembering some advice I set about adjusting the contrast etc. They set them up for razzle dazzle brightness in shops to grab attention. Tweak the settings all down to the middle and the output looks really lovely. Never looked back.
    You know thinking about it many of the TV's did seem overly vibrant, some to the point of looking unrealistic, I never considered that having the TV set in Magpie mode might be ruining the IQ.

Is your TV an LCD or plasma? and I know it's really difficult describe but did this improve the motion handling too?

Cheer's.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Went TV hunting this morning and got a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by jigger View Post
    You know thinking about it many of the TV's did seem overly vibrant, some to the point of looking unrealistic, I never considered that having the TV set in Magpie mode might be ruining the IQ.

Is your TV an LCD or plasma? and I know it's really difficult describe but is this improve the motion handling too?

Cheer's.
    Mine is LCD. I have a series 1 TiVo and kids, so was worried a plasma would get screen burn from paused cartoons pretty quickly. I largely got it to hang on the wall because every time I wanted to watch the CRT it was covered in little yoghurt fingerprints

But yes, basically turning the contrast up to max sharpens up the artefacts a treat, makes them really stand out. Then they turn on image sharpening to make them worse.

It was a fairly expensive set at the time (~£1400 for 47") but its time was some years ago now so probably equivalent to modern budget Samsung panel.

I watch SD satellite TV, resampled through an old TiVo, so I should be seeing artefacts all over the place. They are there if you pause and look for them, but in usual viewing I can't see them just like on my old Sony 29" CRT.

Motion handling is I think partly down to how good the upscaler is. That is partly what sold me on the Samsung, I can't remember how fast the panel is (100Hz probably, might be 200) but the frame interpolation is very good and fast motion doesn't trick it often enough to annoy me. Mind you I don't watch sports much, perhaps action films where everything on screen is blowing up is easier to handle, or perhaps I close my eyes on loud noises

Otherwise I can't say how much the settings mess up motion handling. The image was so vile on defaults I think motion was kind of irrelevant to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information