Thread: Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows" screen

Registered+
    Thanks

Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows" screen

Hi there, received a laptop today with Windows 8 on it, and after having several problems with it crashing, I did a "refresh" and managed to successfully install the windows updates. I then used the disk cleanup utility to remove the "Windows.Old" folder that was no longer needed and taking up space on the SSD.

With that finished, I turned off the laptop, only to be taken to "Preparing to configure Windows" screen. After leaving the laptop on it for half an hour, I decided to turn it off as it was obviously stuck, despite the progress dots/wheel still spinning. However, my laptop stupidly only goes into hibernate, so even when I try holding the power button down, waiting for it to turn off, then turning it back on, it goes straight back to the "Preparing to configure Windows" screen.

Any ideas to stop it? There's nothing for me to interface with, key prompts do nothing, and as stated I can't just shut it down, as it only hibernates. I've googled but have found no situations similar to mine, where one can't shut down/avoid session resumption. Any help would be much appreciated.

Splash

Re: Stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows" screen

Pull the battery? If that doesn't sort it you need a boot disk, then rename/remove the hiberfil.sys which is causing you issues. Also: if disk space is so tight I might well consider disabling hibernate.

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-B75-D3V (rev 1.1)
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Black Viper 24GB 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 240GB, Samsung 32 GB mSATA, MAXTOR SATAI 250 GB, WD Blue SATA III 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 7850 OC edition 2 GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • AvP Triton Mid Tower PC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 (64 Bit)
      • Internet:
      • 8 Mbps (1 MBps) Tiscali

Sounds like Windows 8 updates got corrupted. Had similar scenario with Windows 7 and manage to fix it by going into safe mode then I think I remove the update I have installed and clear update cache however Windows 8 no longer have option boot to safe safe mode. When you laptop boot press F8 or shift + F8 rapidly to try and enter system repair to do a system restore to the previous restore point before Windows 8 update installed.

Correction: You can boot into safe mode which will require to go to recovery mode first and change windows startup settings.

Select the advanced repair options and choose Troubleshoot, Advanced options, ‘Windows Startup Settings', Restart. Your computer will boot into an ‘Advanced Boot Options' screen in which Safe mode can be selected.

Boot Windows 8 safe mode

If that above does not work, you may have to do a factory reset or clean install of Windows 8
    Last edited by stilkun; 27-02-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Confirming Windows 8 Safe Mode

Thanks

open in safe mode

Thread Information